Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 11:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
...............People steal because they need to. The imagined love of stealing doesn't really enter into it. And pulling a trigger on either side typically happens as a foggy split-second reaction, not as the end result of some careful process of rational consideration.
Oh, who said anything about pulling the trigger on him?

Well, I guess that is assumed since we are in this discussion. The point being, however, that an active defense or offense as oppose to a retreat might be more of the response.

As far as people steal because they need to, perhaps, but it depends a lot on the eye of the beholder. Putting it in a very small nutshell, they might steal because they need to, they might steal because they have learned that is the way (or the easier way) to get things, or they might steal because of compulsion, because they are a serial burglar.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
...the ability to defend yourself in your own home by whatever means necessary is a fundamental one worth protecting.
Whatever means necessary? Where do you find that? Since all of seven years ago, you have had an individual right to posses some forms of firearms for purposes if self-defense in your own home. You do not have a right anywhere to go around blasting everything that moves.

Quote:
If you want to run, hide & beg for your life, you still have the right to do so. No one will ever take that right from you.
It's really just from primitive survival instincts. Escape is the superior strategy. Deliberately putting yourself in harm's way is an invitation to bad outcomes. No amount of misdirected testosterone can ever change that. Dying for the sake of one's hormones is simply not a good idea in the long run, or in the short run either.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
And yet, those gun owners who have a CCW permit commit less crimes (and are better shots in a stressful situation) than your "average" cop. Maybe we already have decent "regulation" and some don't want to admit it because of their irrational fear of guns?
Fear of guns??? I think it's the horrific tolls that guns take in terms of death and mayhem that give most people cause for alarm. 30,000 dead and six to seven times that number severely injured is actually quite a lot. What are all these noble CCW people willing to do or see done to help reduce such tolls? Anything? Anything at all?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As far as people steal because they need to, perhaps, but it depends a lot on the eye of the beholder. Putting it in a very small nutshell, they might steal because they need to, they might steal because they have learned that is the way (or the easier way) to get things, or they might steal because of compulsion, because they are a serial burglar.
Every year, somewhere between 600 and 650 thousand people are released from our jails and prisons back into society. We have created laws and policies that keep them from fining jobs and keep them from finding places to live. Then we are shocked if they turn to petty crime to support themselves. How clever are we again?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:48 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Fear of guns??? I think it's the horrific tolls that guns take in terms of death and mayhem that give most people cause for alarm. 30,000 dead and six to seven times that number severely injured is actually quite a lot. What are all these noble CCW people willing to do or see done to help reduce such tolls? Anything? Anything at all?
half of those killed are suicides - while that is unfortunate, it really isn't "preventable" - Japan has 30,000 suicides every year, despite a much smaller population & pretty much no guns at all.

How do you "round up" 300+ million guns from 70 million gun owners who don't want to give them to you without some percentage of those gun-owners turning them in bullets-first?

Australia is every gun-grabber's poster child, but it's a much smaller country & they only had 3 million guns to start with. They got people to turn-in one million of those 3 million guns. To do the same thing here & get the same "success rate", we'd be left with 200 million guns. You think that's worthwhile?

Registering every gun in Canada didn't work, they have way less than we do, but they still managed to **** away a billion dollars & "create" 1,300 civil-service jobs before they gave up. Something like $256 per gun that was registered, and almost none were.

And - for the record, there's a hell of a difference between "blasting indiscriminately" and shooting someone who is engaged in a felony (breaking into an occupied dwelling). Over fourty states recognize the right to defend your home with deadly force & at least a dozen have further clarified that right (with overwhelming public support) to include removing the ability of a *felon* to sue for injuries sustained while committing that felony. You're climbing uphill if you think people should be required to run when their homes are invaded.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
half of those killed are suicides - while that is unfortunate, it really isn't "preventable"
As any counselor would tell you, a key ingredient in suicide prevention is the introduction of delay. Guns do not permit that. Instead they turn moments of short-term trauma into instant long-term tragedy.

Quote:
...Japan has 30,000 suicides every year, despite a much smaller population & pretty much no guns at all.
They have virtually no gun-related homicide either, but they do have a culture that includes an ancient tradition of honorable suicide. They also have a much older (and more suicide-prone) age profile than we do. Circumstances in Japan are different from ours. Meanwhile the most frequent means of suicide in Japan is hanging, something that offers many, many opportunities for one to change his or her mind. We need more of that time for a change of mind in this country. It would be apt to result in thousands of lives saved each year.

Quote:
How do you "round up" 300+ million guns from 70 million gun owners who don't want to give them to you without some percentage of those gun-owners turning them in bullets-first?
I haven't suggested any form of gun confiscation. Yet many seem to be conditioned to leap to such a conclusion anyway. I am meanwhile not at all interested in what you do NOT want to do. As I have stated over and over again to little if any avail, I would like to hear what you ARE willing to do or see done in order to help reduce the levels of gun-related carnage that we suffer from in this country. Pretty simple, but I don't expect to receive any meaningful response this time either.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:

I haven't suggested any form of gun confiscation. Yet many seem to be conditioned to leap to such a conclusion anyway. I am meanwhile not at all interested in what you do NOT want to do. As I have stated over and over again to little if any avail, I would like to hear what you ARE willing to do or see done in order to help reduce the levels of gun-related carnage that we suffer from in this country. Pretty simple, but I don't expect to receive any meaningful response this time either.
gun owners are "conditioned" to "jump to conclusions" based on fourty years of gun-grabbing laws in the states that have been controlled by prohibitionists. Gun owners aren't under any obligation whatsoever to play the "common sense regulation" game, because we have seen how "common sense" regulations stack up until they turn into a de-facto ban. Like in San Francisco, like in Chicago - no gun stores at all. That isn't "reasonable regulation", it's a ban - and it doesn't stop crime, it just creates unarmed victims.

Your calls to "do something" when the rates of gun "carnage" are going *down* already shows what's on the menu.

No sir, I'm not going to give you a slice of my pie, only to have you come back in an hour wanting a slice of pie.

We have background checks.

There is no "gun show loophole".

And you're not getting universal registration because gun owners know that will lead to confiscation.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 AM

Somehow -- despite all this alleged "prohibition" of yours -- there are more than 300,000,000 guns in this country, guns that leave us with world-worst levels of gun-related death and mayhem. Gun freaks simply DON'T CARE. And as becomes ever more evident, there simply are no numbers of dead and maimed that gun freaks EVER WOULD care about. It's all collateral damage in the infantile cause of their right to think that they are John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. What a cartoonish disgrace.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
A couple of little tid bits you failed to see in my adopting repealing the second amendment.
You state if guns were not sold there would still be 320 million around.
Not so, the congress, once the amendment to repeal is passed, would order the army to mobilize throughout the country, and confiscate all guns in the hands of citizens, so that action would rule out anyone owning a gun.

The penalty for having one after the congress rule, would be 25 years in prison, and if the gun were used in the commission of a crime, that would carry a lifetime sentence in federal prison.
I DO believe any one would be a complete fool, black market or not, to be found with a gun.

Bob.
25 to life doesn't seem to inhibit criminals from committing homicides currently. What makes you think your going to scare them now?

Before you send in those troops into south side Chicago, Baltimore, or DC to confiscate from the gangs and drug lords, you're going to need to repeal the 2nd A.
You will need 2/3 of both houses of government and 3/4 of the state legislatures on board with your mission..... Good luck.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Not only does your conclusion not result from your premises, it isn't even related to them
OK, you go cower in a corner with your cell phone and call the police. The government will protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates