Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't see how anyone can just say no. How can we get a compromise here? Your doctor feels that you would be better off dead, than in your current state - he is either agreeing with you, or making that decision on your behalf. Your family seeks a second and third opinin to help them in this decision. If they conclude the first doctor is right - why would anyone deny them the ability to put that person at rest? I just cannot understand this obstanance.
What kind of checks and balances would it take for you to be comfortable with this decision? If the answer is none, then we are polarized.
I do not believe anyone has the right to take anothers life for any reason outside of direct self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
I don't see how anyone can just say no. How can we get a compromise here? Your doctor feels that you would be better off dead, than in your current state - he is either agreeing with you, or making that decision on your behalf. Your family seeks a second and third opinin to help them in this decision. If they conclude the first doctor is right - why would anyone deny them the ability to put that person at rest? I just cannot understand this obstanance.
What kind of checks and balances would it take for you to be comfortable with this decision? If the answer is none, then we are polarized.
Exactly......and....... we already make life and death decisions for others.

As with my father, his doctor and I made the decision that he was going to die.....by not having the shunt put in his brain that could have extended his life. The final decision on the shunt was mine however, I could have decided he should have the surgery. As his legal power of healthcare designee, I made that final decision for my father.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not believe anyone has the right to take anothers life for any reason outside of direct self defense.
In the two situations I know of, the people made the decision ahead of time for themsleves when they knew they were terminal. They were awake, alive and coherent. It was their decision and they would be ending their own lives when they felt the time was right. No one else was going to do it for them.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you feel that do not resuscitate orders are murder too?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In the two situations I know of, the people made the decision ahead of time for themsleves when they knew they were terminal. They were awake, alive and coherent. It was their decision and they would be ending their own lives when they felt the time was right. No one else was going to do it for them.
If someone else wants to take "their" life by their own hand, I care less. It's not any of my business.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Do you feel that do not resuscitate orders are murder too?
Those are two entirely different things. A person can choose to not allow someone to make any efforts to extend their lives if they want.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
I absolutely LOVE this. Why shouldn't they be able to put themselves out of their misery in a dignified way?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
I think we could do some common sense type things in this country. We already have the legal power of attorney where the individual can decide they do not want to be kept going by just medical tubes should they lose consciousness for an extended time (basically coma).

I don't think doctors should be doing heart operations on 100 year old people. It is time to die gracefully at home or go to the hospice at that point. They have lived a couple decades past the average lifespan at that point. I do not know how it would be codified into law. Congrats on the long life, but with the cost of Medicare there is probably a 65 or 70 year old that should be the focus of treatments.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think we could do some common sense type things in this country. We already have the legal power of attorney where the individual can decide they do not want to be kept going by just medical tubes should they lose consciousness for an extended time (basically coma).

I don't think doctors should be doing heart operations on 100 year old people. It is time to die gracefully at home or go to the hospice at that point. They have lived a couple decades past the average lifespan at that point. I do not know how it would be codified into law. Congrats on the long life, but with the cost of Medicare there is probably a 65 or 70 year old that should be the focus of treatments.
I'm completely in favour of assisted suicide, even for the mentally ill or for those made mentally ill as a result of circumstances which they cannot control and where there's no hope for improvement.

With that being said, we should not start putting a price on whether someone is worth of treatment or not. That's dangerous territory, because many people do wish to live for as long as they are able to, even if that involves lots of treatment.

Free will is what's at stake. If I want to die and want to be able to die painlessly, that should be my right. If I want to live for as long as possible, that should be my right too.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You are the one who brought up pushing, not me, purehuman. No one is telling you not to believe in being against assisted suicide expect for what you are reading between the lines in what others who don't share your beliefs are saying. No one is telling you you cannot express your beliefs or express your opinions. Stop trying to play the victim here because no one is buying it,pure human.

The debate is not even whether or not people advocate for assisted suicide,pure human. Read the OP's original question which is "Would you advocate for a more liberal assisted suicide law in this country like in Belgium?" A more liberal assisted suicide law. The emphasis on the liberal is mine but the word was placed there by the OP not by me. So the question indicates it does not mean putting in place an assisted suicide law where there is none or removing them in the places where they exist.

If I am wrong about that I hope the OP will correct me.

You don't believe in assisted suicide. Fine. So you wouldn't advocate for more liberal assisted suicide laws or any assisted suicide laws. That's fine too. But this is not the place to do that. Your answer to the OP's question is a simple "no." For anything else I suggest you start your own thread debating the issue of assisted suicide for or against. There you can debate the issue to your heart's content.

Just three things I would suggest for you, first make it a true debate and allow people to voice their opinions both pro and con, second, if you quote statistics from other sources, make certain they are reliable and can be verified and are not from biased materials third try and stick to the subject and if someone tries to hijack the thread for their own agenda, keep them on track.

And one more time, slowly and carefully. If you do not believe in assisted suicide that's fine, great, wonderful. Don't ever do it. Die in whatever way you choose. But don't presume to tell anyone else what they are allowed and not allowed to. You do not have that right. I do not have that right. No one does.

Please, go ahead purehuman, and live your life any way you want. And let others live theirs. That is all I have to say to you but I have a feeling you will have more to say because frankly, I just don't think you just don't get it.
Playing the victim?..how is that Minervah. I sure hope nobody is buying that, cause that's a complete fabrication in your own mind...I'm quite capable of speaking for myself Minervah, I don't need assistance there either, and it is not your place to tell me what I should/could, or would say in this debate. I DO have the right to say no to murder Minervah, whether you agree with that or not. You may choose to believe that the kinder names of "assisted suicide", or "euthanasia" make it all right..... I most certainly DO live and let live Minervah, and except for giving a doctor the power to kill, I'd not argue that you must live if you don't want to....If you don't like what I have to say...don't read my posts, because quite frankly I think YOU just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates