Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You can call me all the names you want Annie53, especially if it makes you feel better..
Out of all of that.....the only thing you walked away with was, well.....all about YOU. How very typical....everything is, after all, all about YOU and what YOU want. How self centered can someone get? Ooops.....nevermind.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to deal with a family member who has become uncontrollably violent.....by all means....keep them at home. To hell with what could happen to one of your other family members. And of course, if you should happen to become the violent one, let't hope, for YOUR sake, your family keeps you at home too.....even if...... it quite literally...... KILLS them.

Alzheimer's and violence: State fails to take care of combative patients – The Post and Courier
Quote:
Violent Alzheimer's patients in South Carolina are routinely turned away from nursing homes, leaving these fragile people and their families with few options, experts on the disease say.
Quote:
Last fall, Dwayne Walls, an Alzheimer's patient, was beaten with a cane by another dementia patient in a nursing home near Walterboro. Walls died a week later.
When Alzheimer's turns violent - CNN.com
Quote:
In 2008, a 74-year-old Kentucky woman with Alzheimer's shot her daughter-in-law with a gun hidden in the home. A Connecticut woman was fatally beaten with a hammer by her 85-year-old husband, who had Alzheimer's.
Violent Patients Loose in Homes
Quote:
Residents of New York City nursing homes have been killed, sexually assaulted and beaten by unlikely assailants in the past few years: their fellow residents.
Quote:
Compounding the problem are staff shortages, which leave nurse's aides juggling the care of as many as 40 residents at a time
Quote:
But residents are not the only victims. The people who care for them also have been badly hurt. The Bureau of Labor Statistics now ranks nurse's aide as one of the most dangerous jobs in private industry.
Aide Agnes Obremski has been out of work since September, when she says she was attacked by a male resident at Flushing's Cliffside Nursing Home while trying to change his clothes. Obremski, 40, said the man pinned her against a fourth-floor window while she screamed for help.
At 5-feet-1, she was badly outmatched by the resident, whom she said weighed more than 200 pounds.
"I thought I was going out the window," Obremski said. "I couldn't budge. I thought, "I'm going to die here today.'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Call it what you want claudhopper, we all bleed, and you're totally wrong when you say I don't care you have no idea....vigilence will not save everyone, and there will be incidences of "going overboard" as you put it, it's called collateral damage, which I cannot condone when we're talking human lives.
We don't want to force people to exist against their wishes, that would be cruel. We can agree, that we need to be able to view each case individually, and not take a cavalier attitude about this, but to deny them this right would be and is wrong imo. God gave us free will, you are not my keeper.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Out of all of that.....the only thing you walked away with was, well.....all about YOU. How very typical....everything is, after all, all about YOU and what YOU want. How self centered can someone get? Ooops.....nevermind.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to deal with a family member who has become uncontrollably violent.....by all means....keep them at home. To hell with what could happen to one of your other family members. And of course, if you should happen to become the violent one, let't hope, for YOUR sake, your family keeps you at home too.....even if...... it quite literally...... KILLS them.

Alzheimer's and violence: State fails to take care of combative patients – The Post and Courier

I had no idea. Thank you for educating me.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We don't want to force people to exist against their wishes, that would be cruel. We can agree, that we need to be able to view each case individually, and not take a cavalier attitude about this, but to deny them this right would be and is wrong imo. God gave us free will, you are not my keeper.
I agree with everything you've said.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Sorry you feel that way, and it's NOT about me Annie53, it's about those who can't speak for themselves.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Go ahead Annie53..choose, just do it yourself (make it YOUR choice, not mine or anyone elses)...as for the rest of your post all I can say is no relative of mine will ever end up in a place like that...what's abuse is that the family has forsaken these elders, or they wouldn't be there to begin with.
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way, and it's NOT about me Annie53, it's about those who can't speak for themselves.
Once again, you have totally missed the point......your attitude that any family that puts their loved one in a nursing home is guilty of abuse.

THIS.......this is what I am having a problem with:

"NO RELATIVE OF MINE WILL EVER END UP IN A PLACE LIKE THAT.....WHAT'S ABUSE IS THAT THE FAMILY HAS FORSAKEN THESE ELDERS, OR THEY WOULDN'T BE THERE TO BEGIN WITH."

My problem is with people who sit on their "moral" high horse and judge others, look down on others, when they have absolutely NO IDEA what is really going on.

There are many, many reasons families have to resort to putting a loved one in a nursing home.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DON'T LOVE THEM.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE ABUSING THEM.

Most people do not have the resources of a Nancy Reagan.

Some people need to go to work. Some people have children of their own they are trying to raise. Most people do not live in a mansion large enough to house a whole staff of orderlies and nurses dedicated to caring for an elderly loved one, let alone the money to pay them.

Never say never, purehuman, karma has a way of sneaking up on you and biting you in the ass.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM

I have no fear of any karma that comes my way Annie53...I also have a problem with people who judge others, look down on others, and sit on a moral high horse, and have absolutely NO IDEA what is really going on. This thread is a debate on assisted suicides, something I'm firmly against, you've said nothing that would change my mind.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure human View Post
Aren't we all trying to push our view-point Minerva?
No, not push it just discuss it. But I can see where you are saying that because of all the people arguing, I think you are doing the most pushing of all. The problem is, I am seeing the pushing based on emotion and conjecture rather than facts.

If you want to be taken seriously, it helps if the criteria being used is from unbiased sources rather than those having an agenda that is used to try to persuade others in this and in similar issues. Otherwise your arguments are not going to be of much validity. The information you quote is questionable because if you look back at previous articles on its website you can see that your source app a bias against these types of things. Therefore I believe it is suspect as far as accuracy in its reporting whereas the information regarding assisted suicide in my state is all verifiable as well as based upon my own personal experience with people who chose it.

Let me tell you that for decades people like yourself have come in from outside and tried to put their anti-assisted care agenda on Oregon ballots and get our law repealed. Each time they have failed heavily. You are never going to persuade people who don't believe as you do that it's wrong any more than I would persuade you that it's right.

So no, purehuman, I am not going to try to push my view point on you. Even though you are trying so hard to push your views on others. If you do not feel that assisted suicide is right for you that's just fine. I would never persuade you otherwise. So please, state your beliefs all you want, just don't tell others they are wrong because you do not have the right to dictate to others what they have the right to decide to do with their lives for any reason. And I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind as much as your attiude that you seem to feel you have that right.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I have no fear of any karma that comes my way Annie53...I also have a problem with people who judge others, look down on others, and sit on a moral high horse, and have absolutely NO IDEA what is really going on. This thread is a debate on assisted suicides, something I'm firmly against, you've said nothing that would change my mind.
That's the thing, you've said you are against assisted suicide, but haven't presented an argument to defend your stance. That's not debating the issue.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's the thing, you've said you are against assisted suicide, but haven't presented an argument to defend your stance. That's not debating the issue.
I don't understand why you need the assistance to do what you can do perfectly well on your own. Yes, there may be a few rare exceptions here. For those that are not, drive over to the local funeral home one evening. Leave a note that they should check their parking lot in the morning. Run a hose from your car to the backseat. Put in a CD of one of your favorite artists or maybe a compilation of a few of them.

Drift off to sleep while listening.

Some here seem to be speaking more on euthanasia which is then an entirely different thing. Personally I do not think that anyone has a right to take the life of another except in absolute self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates