Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I absolutely LOVE this. Why shouldn't they be able to put themselves out of their misery in a dignified way?
Who said they couldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't see how anyone can just say no. How can we get a compromise here? Your doctor feels that you would be better off dead, than in your current state - he is either agreeing with you, or making that decision on your behalf. Your family seeks a second and third opinin to help them in this decision. If they conclude the first doctor is right - why would anyone deny them the ability to put that person at rest? I just cannot understand this obstanance.
What kind of checks and balances would it take for you to be comfortable with this decision? If the answer is none, then we are polarized.
Maybe, maybe not...no doctor has a right to make a decision like that "on your behalf"?..How deathly sweet the words "putting to rest" sound..there are no checks and balances that can make this right claudhopper..Call it obstinence if you want.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In the two situations I know of, the people made the decision ahead of time for themsleves when they knew they were terminal. They were awake, alive and coherent. It was their decision and they would be ending their own lives when they felt the time was right. No one else was going to do it for them.
That's sad, but as it should be, especially the part where you say "no-one else was going to do it for them". That's basically what I've been trying to say all along.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If someone else wants to take "their" life by their own hand, I care less. It's not any of my business.
You're right, and I agree!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Okay. Well it's been said before on this thread, that if I ask you to help me die, that is not murdering me. Murder is against my will. You would have the right to refuse, just as another should have the right to assist me, if they so choose, without your approval or permission. It's my life!
If you asked me to help you die, and I did, no-one but you and me would be the wiser....I'm only arguing that I am against "doctors" being given that right..I agree with you when you say "It's my life".

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If you asked me to help you die, and I did, no-one but you and me would be the wiser....I'm only arguing that I am against "doctors" being given that right..I agree with you when you say "It's my life".
How, exactly, would you help someone die without others finding out what you did?

Someone like Christopher Reeve for instance?

Doctors need to be involved because you cannot get the right drugs to efficiently cause death without a prescription.....unless you intend to break the law to get them.

Would you be OK with doctors supplying the drugs but not administering them?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM

Pretty easy Annie53, but if you think I'm going to tell you how to help someone die on a forum read by thousands, sorry, it's not going to happen. People have been helping their loved ones die for ages, it's not something they advertise (mums the word), and why would they? It's not like it's something they feel good about. Doctors absolutely do not need to be involved, there are already many drugs available (if drugs are your choice) that would do the job.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Pretty easy Annie53, but if you think I'm going to tell you how to help someone die on a forum read by thousands, sorry, it's not going to happen. People have been helping their loved ones die for ages, it's not something they advertise (mums the word), and why would they? It's not like it's something they feel good about. Doctors absolutely do not need to be involved, there are already many drugs available (if drugs are your choice) that would do the job.
I call BS.

If it was soooo easy to obtain such drugs, say at your local drugstore w/o a prescription, why did anyone ever need to seek out the services of Jack Kevorkian?

Most of us don't know the kind of people who can just pick up the phone and arrange a heroin transaction, for example. Personally, I don't know one person who could even get me marijuana if I wanted it.....or a good amount of pain/sleeping pills, etc. I also don't know any Dr. Feel Goods or where to find one.

We are talking about providing an easy, painless death here, not smothering someone with a pillow or giving them a glass of antifreeze to drink.....which BTW....would be easily detectable and would land you in prison.

If it was a simple as you contend, without ending up in prison yourself, why would providing assisted suicide even be an issue?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Playing the victim?..how is that Minervah. I sure hope nobody is buying that, cause that's a complete fabrication in your own mind...I'm quite capable of speaking for myself Minervah, I don't need assistance there either, and it is not your place to tell me what I should/could, or would say in this debate. I DO have the right to say no to murder Minervah, whether you agree with that or not. You may choose to believe that the kinder names of "assisted suicide", or "euthanasia" make it all right..... I most certainly DO live and let live Minervah, and except for giving a doctor the power to kill, I'd not argue that you must live if you don't want to....If you don't like what I have to say...don't read my posts, because quite frankly I think YOU just don't get it.

Purehuman, I refered you as a "victim," purehuman, because of your defensive attitude in which you are bringing in arguements where others are not bringing them up. You are saying "murder" all the while people are trying to explain the difference between,purehuman, that and the mechanics of assisted suicide and you refuse to listen. But you apparently like to put yourself in a postition where everyone is "misunderstanding" you rather than you misunderstanding them.

But you are entitiled to your beliefs purehuman and no matter how many times you repeat someone else's name purehuman it does not empower your arguement.

So you are going to get your wish and I will not debate you any longer, Purehuman, because you are not a worthy debater. I will prove I am correct about this in that you will get the last word in response to this post because that is what you do. So have at it and prove me right.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM

918 posts, read 816,693 times
Smile Welllll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I call BS.

If it was soooo easy to obtain such drugs, say at your local drugstore w/o a prescription, why did anyone ever need to seek out the services of Jack Kevorkian?

Most of us don't know the kind of people who can just pick up the phone and arrange a heroin transaction, for example. Personally, I don't know one person who could even get me marijuana if I wanted it.....or a good amount of pain/sleeping pills, etc. I also don't know any Dr. Feel Goods or where to find one.

We are talking about providing an easy, painless death here, not smothering someone with a pillow or giving them a glass of antifreeze to drink.....which BTW....would be easily detectable and would land you in prison.

If it was a simple as you contend, without ending up in prison yourself, why would providing assisted suicide even be an issue?
...Annie...I do! Since you're so persistent:
How to kill yourself like a man.
Sorry, but I was never much of a feminism supporter.

Good luck. Could you please transfer your rep points over to me first. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates