Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 03:54 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. To get involved with a man who has children he's not involved in raising is asking for trouble. If he'll do that to other women, he'll do it to you too. Raising children is not a one-person job, financially or in any other way. I think too many women have the idea that they need to be 'strong' and not 'need' a man to raise their kids with them. But it's not about that. It's much better for the kids in every way to have both parents involved, unless one of them is abusive.
Definitely an issue. Honestly, that and other types of "feminist"-leaning ideology hurts the African-American community and people of African peoples all over. This is particularly true since so many within the diaspora lost so much of our traditional cultures, including familial structures/practices, due to slavery/colonialism. There has not really been much of a rebuilding of this. Efforts yes, but it really is taking time. That strong/not needing a man attitude has to be shed just as the neglect of children must be shed. Taking a better look at the positive cultural practices of our original cultures would be better than embracing what was largely "white female" ideology/movement. It's a shame how ingrained it is in some women's minds.

I had one experience among coworkers where those of us of African descent were either first generation Americans or immigrants, Christian & Muslim. We had all gone out along with our white American coworker and were talking about our parents' relationships. How our mothers cater to our fathers. Our fathers don't cook or rarely cook and are very spoiled. The white American girl turned up her nose and said that her mother never cooked for her father. How she does not agree with it and how "we" have come too far for that." We told her that such things are part of our cultures and work for us. And afterward, we laughed about her use of the term "we" as if her comments had anything to do with our peoples' experiences in the various countries they lived at the time. SMH.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
I guess this is what Packerd fan wanted to know. He can rest easy now.
Actually, he wanted to have the thread closed because it began to turn into a hate fest.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I completely agree. We all need God and that need is apparent in all of us. But goodness, it's just screams with some individuals while they claim to be part of a particular faith.

Matthew 7 says it best..."Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
That is quite true.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
To put it bluntly: because they are physically unattractive.

No, I'm not a "racist" who hates black people either. I'm just telling it like it is. They have ugly facial features, and I have not met a single black woman in my life who I have considered "pretty."
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of beautiful black women, IMO. Self-imposed problems such as a much higher than average obesity rate are more of a factor, IMO.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Definitely an issue. Honestly, that and other types of "feminist"-leaning ideology hurts the African-American community and people of African peoples all over. This is particularly true since so many within the diaspora lost so much of our traditional cultures, including familial structures/practices, due to slavery/colonialism. There has not really been much of a rebuilding of this. Efforts yes, but it really is taking time. That strong/not needing a man attitude has to be shed just as the neglect of children must be shed. Taking a better look at the positive cultural practices of our original cultures would be better than embracing what was largely "white female" ideology/movement. It's a shame how ingrained it is in some women's minds.

I had one experience among coworkers where those of us of African descent were either first generation Americans or immigrants, Christian & Muslim. We had all gone out along with our white American coworker and were talking about our parents' relationships. How our mothers cater to our fathers. Our fathers don't cook or rarely cook and are very spoiled. The white American girl turned up her nose and said that her mother never cooked for her father. How she does not agree with it and how "we" have come too far for that." We told her that such things are part of our cultures and work for us. And afterward, we laughed about her use of the term "we" as if her comments had anything to do with our peoples' experiences in the various countries they lived at the time. SMH.
I agree with you about feminism. I think it's a dubious philosophy designed mainly by upper class white women who don't need to rely on men, and don't like men very much. It's not something that's going to lead to anything good when spread out over a larger population. And I think black women have suffered more than anybody else from the effects of feminism, particularly the elimination of shame that men used to feel about not supporting their children.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, he wanted to have the thread closed because it began to turn into a hate fest.
They need to leave it open so they can generate traffic from their sister site.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
To put it bluntly: because they are physically unattractive.

No, I'm not a "racist" who hates black people either. I'm just telling it like it is. They have ugly facial features, and I have not met a single black woman in my life who I have considered "pretty."
How original coming from an unemployed Texas redneck.

And here's a tip: if you are not a racist, there really is no need to say, "I'm not a racist".

Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

That attitude is why so many marriages end in divorce. I bet that same woman expects her husband to cater to her in certain ways. Married people should cater to each other, and they can do different things. If you take the position that you don't need to do anything for your spouse, don't be surprised if he/she sees little value in the marriage and walks away.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyforever View Post
THIS! Family stability in America is more of a socioeconomic issue than an ethnic one.
And the rising divorce rates and single parent homes is occurring across the board. There are many stable families out there. However, I think what is happening to Blacks in America is also happening to other ethnic groups as well. I've seen dysfunction where I live, from both Blacks and Whites. And unstable families do happen more among the poor. However, I've seen it with some middle class homes too. Part of it can be culture, and the fact the divorces are easier to get these days.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
I agree with you about feminism. I think it's a dubious philosophy designed mainly by upper class white women who don't need to rely on men, and don't like men very much. It's not something that's going to lead to anything good when spread out over a larger population. And I think black women have suffered more than anybody else from the effects of feminism, particularly the elimination of shame that men used to feel about not supporting their children.
I completely agree. Guess people need to be very active in ridding that kind of thought from the mentalities of the next generations. It seems that at some point, the whole "independent" idea became something "cute" and popular among many women but again, we all know who that ends up hurting the most. Hopefully more and more people will wake up, and those who know better can offer sound advice to those who need it.

Quote:
That attitude is why so many marriages end in divorce. I bet that same woman expects her husband to cater to her in certain ways. Married people should cater to each other, and they can do different things. If you take the position that you don't need to do anything for your spouse, don't be surprised if he/she sees little value in the marriage and walks away.
That same woman isn't even married. Her parents made it work, but not every man will be willing to live with that. It's a very selfish way to live and you pointed out, often leads to the end of a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.