Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times

Advertisements

I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Trying to physically harm you, yes protect yourself. And if you are as handy with your weapon as you all claim to be, you should be able to properly assess the situation before you start firing off a bunch of rounds.

Why should the person be prosecuted? Because there are too many factors to say that anyone gets to shoot whoever they want just because they are inside their house. That is a dangerous route to take. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure. That person could be a lifelong criminal or a teenager who is a first time offender. Where was the person shot? In the front or the back? Because if he is shot in the back, particularly near an exit or from far away, that means the intruder was trying to get away and of no threat to the homeowner. Do they really deserve to die for running away? No. Was the intruder armed? Did the intruder approach the homeowner? Those are grounds for protecting yourself so fire away.

If you put a gun to an intruder one of three things will happen. One, they will wait at gunpoint until the police arrives, two, they will try to run or three they will try to attack you. Only the third scenario requires an actual firing of your weapon and again if you are as good with your gun as you all claim to be, a shot to a limb should keep them at bay until the cops arrive.

This is not a black or white, yes or no situation. And we shouldn't continue to let people get away with murder under the guise of self-protection. You should have to PROVE you were in actual danger, that your life was truly threatened.

I wonder how you would feel if your teenager or other family member made a one time stupid mistake (perfect people raise your hands) and wound up dead because some trigger happy nut was "defending his/her property." You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger
That's what usually happens...

Quote:
No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever.
I'm curious as to why you think this. Do you think that the "punishment" of being shot doesn't fit the crime of theft? Do you think the punishment should be equal to the crime?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:40 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.
No one needs to give in to peer pressure. And, if this pressure involves them breaking into someone's house, they deserve whatever happens to them.

I wish there were more stories like what we read in the OP. Maybe then there would be less criminals going around breaking into people's houses!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-28-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 09:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
You have a good heart, however, there is no way to know if the intruder would or wouldn't do you any harm. Sorry love but I'd blow them away first and ask questions later. I agree that dieing for the sake of a TV or jewelry is tragic but when you intrude and trespass where you don't belong you have to also consider that this may be your last adventure.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's what usually happens...

I'm curious as to why you think this. Do you think that the "punishment" of being shot doesn't fit the crime of theft? Do you think the punishment should be equal to the crime?
It's not usually what happens. A theif is just after materialistic things they can either sell for money or keep cause they can't buy it themselves. Most theives are not looking to hurt a person. They want to get their product and get out. This is why most home invasions happen during the day, when people are at work or out. This crime does not warrant death. Yes, I've been robbed before. It sucks, but I did not wish death to my intruder. I wished him a lifetime of bad karma, but not death.

I find it distrurbing that so many people DO think stealing and/or damaging property deserves not only the death penalty, but that that penalty should be dealt out by an average citizen with little or no accountability. Seriously effed up to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure.
Tough. That's what they get for raising a little POS that thinks it's okay to break into someone's home.

Quote:
I wonder how you would feel if your teenager or other family member made a one time stupid mistake (perfect people raise your hands) and wound up dead because some trigger happy nut was "defending his/her property." You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.
Yes, keep making excuses for these little punks. If MY kid did that, they'd be lucky if they got shot because I would whoop their sorry ass. If they were killed, I'd be more mad at myself that I hadn't done something to save my kid from turning out to be a POS.

Parents need to get some personal responsibility. If you raise them right, they won't do crap like this. Write bad checks? Sure. Petty theft of a pair of jeans? Maybe. But breaking & entering? No effing way.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
Quote:
I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Trying to physically harm you, yes protect yourself. And if you are as handy with your weapon as you all claim to be, you should be able to properly assess the situation before you start firing off a bunch of rounds.

Why should the person be prosecuted? Because there are too many factors to say that anyone gets to shoot whoever they want just because they are inside their house. That is a dangerous route to take. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure. That person could be a lifelong criminal or a teenager who is a first time offender. Where was the person shot? In the front or the back? Because if he is shot in the back, particularly near an exit or from far away, that means the intruder was trying to get away and of no threat to the homeowner. Do they really deserve to die for running away? No. Was the intruder armed? Did the intruder approach the homeowner? Those are grounds for protecting yourself so fire away.

If you put a gun to an intruder one of three things will happen. One, they will wait at gunpoint until the police arrives, two, they will try to run or three they will try to attack you. Only the third scenario requires an actual firing of your weapon and again if you are as good with your gun as you all claim to be, a shot to a limb should keep them at bay until the cops arrive.

This is not a black or white, yes or no situation. And we shouldn't continue to let people get away with murder under the guise of self-protection. You should have to PROVE you were in actual danger, that your life was truly threatened.

Way to generalize. It is just as easy to say that a stay at home mom with no real concept of the outside world and too much time on her hands would be spewing the same garbage that you are. Coincidence?

I don't even own a gun and I think you are ridiculous in your statements. You don't have to be a gun hugger to perceive common sense.

Your whole argument is based on someone simply breaking into a household just to steal a television. That's NOT how it usually works. How is someone who is protecting their family supposed to know whether the intruder wants to physically harm them? Are they supposed to sit there and wait? You have not addressed that point in any of your nonsense.

If the intruder ran away and the homeowner chased them down a street and then shot them in the head point black, then yes, that person should be prosecuted and a jury should decide whether it was necessary.

Asking people how they would feel if their teenager or someone made a one-time mistake is also silly. Of course it would be a tragic situation, but it is what it is. There are consequences to every action. Someone is committing a criminal act on an innocent person. What if your teenager decided to make a one-time mistake of jumping into a caged Tiger exhibit because he thought it would be funny? Stupid actions can have fatal results.

And you are right, it isn't always black and white. But to simply say the person should be prosecuted in a hypothetical situation is pretty ignorant. There are times in which someone justifiably defended their house and was not prosecuted, and there are times in which the homeowner goes psycho and chases the person for blocks and should be prosecuted.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
It's not usually what happens. A theif is just after materialistic things they can either sell for money or keep cause they can't buy it themselves. Most theives are not looking to hurt a person. They want to get their product and get out. This is why most home invasions happen during the day, when people are at work or out. This crime does not warrant death. Yes, I've been robbed before. It sucks, but I did not wish death to my intruder. I wished him a lifetime of bad karma, but not death.

I find it distrurbing that so many people DO think stealing and/or damaging property deserves not only the death penalty, but that that penalty should be dealt out by an average citizen with little or no accountability. Seriously effed up to me.

The guy who beat, raped and tried to strangle me had four previous convictions for burglary, had been convicted of armed robbery and was wanted for another sexual assault of a 13 year old girl. He just gotten out of prison on the armed robbery prior to assaulting me.
The term " home invasion" usually signifies that the people were home when the crime occurred and the criminals KNEW they were home going in.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
Bull...you break into someones house...bang you dead.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The guy who beat, raped and tried to strangle me had four previous convictions for burglary, had been convicted of armed robbery and was wanted for another sexual assault of a 13 year old girl. He just gotten out of prison on the armed robbery prior to assaulting me.
The term " home invasion" usually signifies that the people were home when the crime occurred and the criminals KNEW they were home going in.
And Pennies4Penny will tell you that in this instance you would have a right to defend yourself.

But you are supposed to wait until they harm you before you defend yourself, or be a psychic and know beforehand, because they might just be a poor teenager trying to get by in a capitalistic world. Most people who commit home invasions fit this description.

Some people are so delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates