Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
One of the many unjust effects of government immigration policy is that it makes it harder for people like former coal miners to take advantage of new boom towns. The government allows immigrants to flood the boom towns at the expense of internal migrants.
Statistically, aside from themselves, the only group that illegal immigrants actually compete with in the job market is black high-school dropouts. Any theory that the employment effects of illegal immigration are anything greater than trivial is worthless balderdash.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
First, I didn't say anything about illegals. Second, even if you want to focus on illegals, they compete with high school kids of all races (for jobs in fast-food restaurants etc.), college kids of all races (summer jobs in vacation destinations etc.), everyone of any race interested in doing (formerly high-paying) construction jobs, etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Islam is the group of choice for men full of hate that want to justify treating women like trash. Sure, there are white crazies, just like any group of people- I say let's send all of them to Syria and let them join up, and see how they like it.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Thank you. The answer is obvious; I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand. Preserving our culture and our future is critical, just as it is with any other race.

The fact is, preserving/protecting the white race is not to the detriment of non-whites. Non-whites have access to clean water, electricity, life-saving medicines, motor vehicles, home appliances, telephones, the internet, etc, etc. etc. solely because of white people. Virtually everything that anyone in the world uses today was created by white men.

Jesus, if only these people could spend a week in a world absent the influence of the white people they wish to demonize.
I find your statements Bizarre regarding white culture and "white race". I am Portuguese by birth(in case some don't know it's in the continent of Europe), raised in the USA since a young age am a US citizen . I identify culturally with USA culture and Portuguese culture. I don't identify with white culture or what you call the "white race" to be honest I view that as redneck or white trash culture and want no part of it. Generally the people I have witnessed beating the drum about the "white culture, white race" are losers and social outcasts.

What is your definition of white culture?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's pretty complicated. I do remember learning in class back in high school that when young people feel alienated, they may join gangs. Later on, when "religious" cults became popular the same reason was given for the attraction. Not feeling that they belonged, not feeling powerful enough.

I don't understand white privilege because, being white, I have never felt privileged. Being a woman, I am more inclined to see male privilege. So I guess I can't add much, but that was a very insightful post.
As a red-haired male, I never felt any white-privilege either. There are several sub-sets of white people, who have to endure discrimination and being designated as "other" in this society. Some red-haired people feel so disenfranchised, that they develop a self-hatred for it and discriminate against others with their hair color and other associated characteristics. I know one woman with beautiful, natural red hair, who dies it black and so do her two red-haired daughters.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's one thing to vote for someone - quite another to then defend every lie, misdeed, wrong, etc. that Trump takes part in.
But the exact same thing could be said for Hillary supporters and Obama supporters for that matter. I do not support Trump, but I would not feel physically safe wearing a Make America Great Again hat or putting a Trump bumper sticker on my car.

Maybe it's just my personal bias but I would feel safe wearing a Hillary shirt.

Last edited by Jame22; 03-20-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
But the exact same thing could be said for Hillary supporters and Obama supporters for that matter. I do not support Trump, but I would not feel physically safe wearing a Make America Great Again hat or putting a Trump bumper sticker on my car.

I would feel safe wearing a Hillary shirt.
So you think folks like me (who would have preferred Bernie or Castro or just about anyone to Hillary) made excuses about poor choices Hillary made? Fantastic.......

While I didn't chant "lock her up" (no indictment was handed down), I always claimed that they (Clintons) cast their lot in with Wall Street, Big Money and the Establishment in general.

That doesn't mean that she would not have been 10X the POTUS as Trump is/will be. She is a flawed candidate and individual (aren't we all). But let's be real - we do have Trump talking about grabbing puzzy while Hillary was never seen with the naked children in the pizza shop.

As far as what shirt you wear - I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Purple mid-Florida people still have their trump signs on their lawns - no Hillary signs.

I don't think that factoid is relevant. The real question now is whether Trump and his administration are traitors, liars and crooks. After that we can talk about how he governs....which seems to be more of a lack of governing ("fore" on the golf course)....

Laws and budgets are not created by signing crazy papers that Steve Bannon types up.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
There was some talk in the thread about the Quebec mosque shooting about how and why it happened. It's obvious Elliot Rodger, Dylan Roof and all of the others didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Around Trump's surprise win of the election I remember reading a few good think-pieces about how and why more and more white men seem to be joining or aligning themselves with hate-groups based around white male superiority.

IE

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tics-breitbart

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...e-man-texas-am

White men radicalised online were amongst the 'silent majority' who chose Donald Trump | The Independent

Personally? I don't expect white people, either liberals or conservatives, to lift a finger to do a thing about this. There's one thing white people don't do, and that's see themselves as a cohesive group. Everyone is a lone shooter or solitary bad egg with white skin, but every brown or black person that commits a crime is indicative of a deeper issue within their respective culture.

White men are more guilty when they commit crimes than literally any other group could be living under white supremacy, because everyone else has to deal with negative effects of white supremacy on their lives socially and economically, yet every effort is made to try to absolve them of responsibility of whatever they do.

It's a historical pastime. From presidents and slaves, to Christopher Columbus, to FDR and racism. It's always excuses and reasons why their mess ups have to be overlooked. There is one odd thing I noticed, all of these articles about radicalization seem to point out the sexual frustration of these men. There's seems to be some kind of testosterone link.

I see it as a combination of the patriarchy and expectations set by the media, but a lot of it comes down to "my sex life isn't what I want it to be, let me make it everyone else's fault". Disenchanted, cornered, young males with feelings of inadequacy on the fringes of society being told that The Other is the cause of everything wrong with the world and that they're doing themselves and the world a favor by ridding the world of that Other.

Society tells that them white men are top dogs socially and economically across the world. That makes them believe that they're entitled to any women they choose. We constantly reinforce imagery and ideology that expresses that men (especially white men) are owed whatever they want - including sex.

Pretty scary how groups of people can radicalize because they feel estranged from society and think that society owes them something, be it a job, respect, sex, success, etc. This is what happens when white people sacrifice social solidarity in the name of capitalistic pursuit.

Many cultures have some version of the "you're not a man until you ____", which can be toxic, but many of them still have a level of social cohesion where young men know that they will have the support of their families and local community. They are still swaddled in the warmth of a reliable social fabric. But for young, white men in our current climate, I don't know if they see themselves as having a culture.

Media consumption simply tells them that white men are defined by their success, not by their socialization - whether that success be physical (conquering enemies), romantic (acquiring a love interest/sex), mental (outsmarting others) or financial (being a CEO). The other useful source of information, parents and peers, provide conflicting information - be nice to others, but play to win. Treat women with respect, but go out and sow your wild oats. Obey the law, but "boys will be boys". Try to fit in, but be yourself. Don't say hateful things to minorities, but also don't bring one of them home to us.

There may be some psychological/neurological evidence that men, more than women, look externally when trying to find the source of their problems. It's not that they're unattractive or unfunny, it's that all the women are whores who just want to date jerks. It's not that they're unqualified for the job, it's that Blacks are being given the upperhand. So amidst their conflicted messages and their raging hormones, some of them go searching for an external "threat" rather than face the knot of confusion within.

I imagine many of these men feel alone, lost, in pain, angry, bitter, insecure. They don't realize that, from birth, society has held them to an implied contract that goes something like this: "You'll be on the right side of history and the best side of the law. You'll be rich and famous and adored. You'll be treated as the most important. The only condition is that you have to care about success more than anything else - more than family, more than friends, more than lovers, more than emotions, more than art, more than equality."

Some of them can't or don't know how to uphold that contract. And instead of recognizing the contract for what it is - a bad deal - they go looking for reasons for why they're failing to succeed. Feminists, gays, minorities, whatever. Anyone who seems to pushing back against the social grain, calling their contract into question. Where they should see allies, they see enemies.

Layered on top of this cultural issue is a biological reality: Some men have more testosterone and are more aggressive. They want more sex than they can get. They want to pick fights. Their insecurities feed these impulses.

I don't really know what to do with these young men. Talking to them via the Internet probably isn't the answer; it's too easy for them to retreat. Part of this is a cultural problem about white privilege that we need to resolve as a society; part of this is a parental problem where parents need to talk to their sons more and encourage them to be more open about their feelings; part of this is a media problem where the Internet lets *******s prey on the weak under the guise of "free speech."; part of this is a medical problem in how we relate to and treat mental health issues. The solution won't come from one place.

Lord, talk about butthurt....smh

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM

1,098 posts, read 903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So you think folks like me (who would have preferred Bernie or Castro or just about anyone to Hillary) made excuses about poor choices Hillary made? Fantastic.......
Yes, neither Clinton or Trump were responsible votes.

I voted for Gary Johnson and I'll admit that it was a huge mistake. Looking back I would of either 1) conducted more research on Jill Stein or 2) not voted at all. I don't believe in voting for the lesser of two evils. Trump's lack of incompetence in no way justifies Hillary's crimes

Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I find your statements Bizarre regarding white culture and "white race". I am Portuguese by birth(in case some don't know it's in the continent of Europe), raised in the USA since a young age am a US citizen . I identify culturally with USA culture and Portuguese culture. I don't identify with white culture or what you call the "white race" to be honest I view that as redneck or white trash culture and want no part of it. Generally the people I have witnessed beating the drum about the "white culture, white race" are losers and social outcasts.

What is your definition of white culture?
Given your posts thus far, this does not surprise me. It's clear you're not racially conscious, and my guess is that your breadth of knowledge on the subject has been gleamed from television talk shows or the MSM. Have you ever sought any intellectual thought on the matter?

American culture was for hundreds of years uniquely white. This was reflected in our literature, films, music, social customs, religion, language, etc. To not understand this is to not understand culture at all. The differences between this culture and that of other races are easily discernible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates