Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Have you ever thought that men wanted or forced women to stay home with the kids? Or manage the family whether they wanted to or not?

Well things change for a reason. Unsettomati is right, you have an ax to grind.
Yes, things have changed, especially in the west. Stop blaming white men

Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
He's not very good with women or black people. And nut jobs who hate others in general should be ignored.
What on earth does it mean to be 'good with black people'? That's an extremely racist statement. I think you're the one who should be ignored.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I find it sad that women's studies would only be done as a measure to push back against discrimination and oppression and not because it could be an interesting field of study where one could learn interesting stuff.

As I said before, I think that there could be some very interesting subjects that both men and women (and to be fair, nonbinaries and so on) could benefit from discussing and exploring, that might fall under "men's studies." It's not a matter of exalting historical figures here. How about when I look around and see many men who are in despair, trying to find their place in a changing world, trying to work out their roles in a society that no longer necessarily rewards traditionally masculine behavior...yet they are raised to try and balance what it means to be "manly" against what it means to be "sensitive." Some go all in for one direction or the other, to the point of scorning the opposing view, some find a balance, many struggle with it. And manly or not, these are human beings who have feelings. I think that there could be significant "studies" devoted to what it means to be a man not only in Western society but in various cultures around the world.

And I don't think it's giving anything to any patriarchy, to say so.

I wish we could quit being so polarized and just be human beings together here. It's why I don't call myself a feminist even though I'm a woman who does recognize many of the struggles women deal with. I prefer "humanist" if I must say anything because everybody's got struggles of one kind or another. Showing compassion for men does not invalidate having it for women. There is no need to pick a team, we're all kinda in this together, believe it or not. I don't see where thinking of the opposite gender as "the enemy" helps anyone solve any of their problems.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
What on earth does it mean to be 'good with black people'? That's an extremely racist statement. I think you're the one who should be ignored.
I would suggest looking at that poster's posting history to see what it means but you probably wouldn't do it.

Quote:
Yes, things have changed, especially in the west. Stop blaming white men
That's the only response you have because you are not aware of the history of gender relations. If your premise that simple biology is the reason men worked while women stayed home, why have things changed? Why is it now common to see women in the workplace instead of following this so-called biological imperative?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Yes, the absence of "men's studies" major in US colleges is a blatant example of the bias and discrimination by the feminist matriarchy that dominates most college campuses. Mainly the humanities department... I think it is time to launch a massive gender discrimination lawsuit.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:58 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, the absence of "men's studies" major in US colleges is a blatant example of the bias and discrimination by the feminist matriarchy that dominates most college campuses. Mainly the humanities department... I think it is time to launch a massive gender discrimination lawsuit.

Absolutely. If you believe that to be the case then go for it. That is certainly more productive then complaining to anyone who will listen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That's the only response you have because you are not aware of the history of gender relations. If your premise that simple biology is the reason men worked while women stayed home, why have things changed? Why is it now common to see women in the workplace instead of following this so-called biological imperative?
We have more access to resources today. Throughout much of human history women had to allocate all of their time and energy towards raising children. We don't need children anymore to ensure the survival of our species. That's why it's much more common to see women in the workplace now.

Last edited by Jame22; 06-27-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 04:48 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
We have more access to resources today. Throughout much of human history women had to allocate all of their time and energy towards raising children. We don't need children anymore to ensure the survival of our species. That's why it's much more common to see women in the workplace now.
Since when do we have the technology to poof a fully-formed adult human being into existence from thin air?

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
This is patently absurd.

As someone else pointed out, women have often been written out of history. I don't think you could ever appreciate how much. Just as one example, many classic paintings were actually painted by women, but men put their names on it. Same thing as in the music industry- Bobbie Gentry wrote and produced most of her own stuff, but was told that she had to have a man's name on it because that's just how it was done.

SO, perhaps you can understand that trying to redress this now, after centuries, is not such a bad idea....and certainly not gender discrimination. If gender discrimination is actually your concern, perhaps you need to educate yourself on who has actually historically been oppressed before forming an opinion.
It is not absurd at all, because attempting to de-oppress "womankind" does not undo the damage done to individual women by their oppression. See post #212 for a more thorough explanation.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Since when do we have the technology to poof a fully-formed adult human being into existence from thin air?
what are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates