Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So do you think the reason that out of 1093 people killed by the police last year, not a single one was an Asian female (10 million Asian females in America) while 532 were white males, has anything to do with crime rates?

1093 people killed by cops in 2016.

532 White males

0 Asian females

Are you open to the possibility that crime rates is an important factor?
Unless your stats say how many of those white males were unarmed, shot in the back while running away, shot for a broken taillight or choked to death for selling loosies, how many were 12 year olds playing in a park with a toy gun, they are meaningless in this debate.

For all you know, all 532 of those white males were armed and presented a threat to police. Statistics alone mean nothing and provide no insight into whether there is equal justice among races.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Guilt is not needed or required. Empathy is.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What kind of "proof" would there be for you to see? How about Trump writing a "C" or whatever letter it was on the applications of wealthy black people who wanted to buy in his condos, so the board would know to reject them? This is the kind of thing that happens in white neighborhoods probably on a daily basis "Oh, sorry, the apartment has been rented" "oh, sorry the bartending job was filed". These are things we don't often hear about except in big cases like the Trump Tower case, but for black people in this country, it is part of daily life, as is being followed in stores and hearing car doors lock when they walk by.

The fact there are laws doen't change much. Sure, General Motors will get hit if they don't observe equal opportunity laws, but no one is ever going to know if Craig's Auto Repair in whatever local town won't hire blacks. This is not even talking about the differences in treatment by the so-called justice system.

I think frankly you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see there isn't equal opportunity yet in this country.

I personally have not seen it. I,Me,Myself.....get it? I am white,are you? I am the guy who hears what the blacks don't... I hear the "N" word.. not you. I work with the supervisors who hire people and I know when there is discrimination.About 25 years ago. one of my supervisors was calling people back to work who were laid of. He asked me to look at the list of names and tell him if I knew any of them were blacks. Although "blacks" was not his choice of words. I asked why........he was not calling Blacks numbers. I told him he can't do that..........he said why not. I said because if you do I'll tell the union and the guys you did not call. Needless to say I was on his ***** list for the end of time.

That's the last time I saw any blatant racism. Our company was scared to death of Lawsuits filed by women and blacks,after they paid out a few million.......

Old 10-13-2017, 07:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Unless your stats say how many of those white males were unarmed, shot in the back while running away, shot for a broken taillight or choked to death for selling loosies, how many were 12 year olds playing in a park with a toy gun, they are meaningless in this debate.

For all you know, all 532 of those white males were armed and presented a threat to police. Statistics alone mean nothing and provide no insight into whether there is equal justice among races.
Statistics mean alot. White males are 30% of society and 50% of the people killed by police. You try to portray this as justified and chalk it up to "white privilege". The link provides stats on armed/unarmed as well. 170 unarmed people were killed by police in 2016. 95 of those were white...

Do you honestly think it is a coincidence that Asian females are far less likely to get shot and killed by police than white males or black males? Asian males are also far less likely to get shot and killed by police. To ignore crime rates among races in this discussion is just silly. Why on earth would half of all people killed by police be white males and none be asian females if we live in a "white supremacy society of systematic racism"?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
There is a form of guilt that is healthy and just. It helps 'check' yourself.

When I was in an ignorant phase...I recall being fed up with a 7th grader in my class spouting how I put his family thru slavery. I seriously said one day...pardon but how did YOU,get off the plantation and to school so quick this morning? Yes it was a callous thing to recite. As I had little understanding of accepting 'healthy' social guilt for a HUMAN injustice in our homeland. I also carry shame for other
Heritages that were harmed ..when bombing or stealing property...
So to answer why.:..unknown....

to say 'how' and 'what' can be done leads to resolution. First I had to accept how I viewed it and then what can be changed once I knew different....own your ignorance...then work towards abating it.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
There doesn't have to be "white guilt" to address racism. However, if someone is that hypersensitive it may be hard for them to understand the history and dynamics of racism. If you're going to allow yourself to become mired in victimization, how can you expect to move forward?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngie View Post
I clicked onto YouTube earlier today and there was one of those brief ads that popped up. This ad's topic concerned the lynching in the latter part of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th. The spokesperson in the video, who happened to be a black man, stated that American society must address this past atrocity if race relations are ever going to be acceptable.

My immediate thought was: I don't know why the lynchings of a bygone era should have anything to do with today's world. My second thought was: is this some kind of veiled effort to create white guilt? And my third thought was: I am sorry but I feel no guilt for lynchings of blacks or for that matter, the unfortunate chapter of slavery in America. They are horrible pages in America's history but the reality is, I should feel no more guilty or responsible for those tragedies than should Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, or Barack Obama. Likewise, I do not believe that the men of today should feel any guilt for America's 140 years of denying women the right to vote.
I don't know about you personally, but some of the same people who basically shrug their shoulders over racial atrocities of the past and say "Get over it" or "Life's not fair" also can't "get over" losing the Bay Of Pigs invasion.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
This is part of the problem right here that divides us. You are making a point of stating the races of the "good" people and the "bad" people. It doesn't matter what race you are - you are either a good person or a bad person. And, if you worked in the school system, shame on you for making the distinction. I grew up in PG County (I'm sure you've heard of it). I was the minority majority (meaning I was white in a predominately black area). Growing up like that made me more willing to look past color and focus on the person.
Lived in PG County in a predominantly Black neighborhood, taught in PG County for a decade in schools that were either predominantly or heavily populated with Blacks.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its not a stereotype to try to explain statistics. Its common sense. Its not common sense to believe crime rates have nothing to do with people getting killed by cops.

You are not seeing people as individuals when you subscribe to the "white privilege" story.

Look at the stat again. 530 white males killed by cops last year. 0 asian females. Yet, police encounters are considered the ultimate example of "white privilege". When people refuse to admit that crime rates matter, then they are forced to talk about "asian female privilege" as the reason for this discrepancy.
I have not spoken the phrase "white privilege" in this thread. Put down the intellectual machine gun and step away.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have not spoken the phrase "white privilege" in this thread. Put down the intellectual machine gun and step away.
You may not have spoken about white privilege but it is clear you believe in it.

And thats the opposite of seeing people as individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates