Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:14 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
...The word chief over here, particularly in London, was used among blue collar guys to address people they came into contact with, but didn’t yet know....

Here we might do the same or use the appellations "boss" or "buddy" among others. The US and GB are two countries separated by a common language.

Political correctness = mind control. The Fascists insist the rest of us think like they do. Everyone in lock-step. They dehumanize, then claim it's us doing it.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
This poll pretty much ices it. 90% of Native Americans do not find the name Redskins offensive: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.b2950868a8e0

Now, go find 90% of any group who isn't offended by something, somewhere.

The problem is that there are so many people out there who are so desperate to be considered 'woke' that they have will have kneejerk responses to anything.

A few years ago, an intramural basketball team in Colorado named themselves The Fighting Whites as a way to highlight the inappropriateness of using ethnic groups as mascots. They made up t-shirts and waited for the outrage. A couple of grumps in the press took the bait but, on the whole, people thought it was hilarious. Unexpectedly, the shirts sold like hotcakes and the funds were eventually used to fund Native American college scholarships.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
They were supposed to honor the strength, and nobility of the American Indian by associating the team with them. They are in no way offensive, nor derogatory. It is another attempt by the Left to divide.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:38 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They were supposed to honor the strength, and nobility of the American Indian by associating the team with them. They are in no way offensive, nor derogatory. It is another attempt by the Left to divide.
How worse than the helicopters they name after Indians... That they use to kill other people
https://www.wearethemighty.com/histo...make-you-smile
Yes I read the article on the reason behind it... And it is a crap reason to me, there are better ways to honor Indians than name was machines after them

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I'd rather attention be on the living conditions of indigenous people of the US rather than sports team names.

Like, no running water for Navajo (Dine) Nation in northwest New Mexico.

Priorities....

Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 AM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
When a Native American rings in, this thread might have more value than a strip of bumwad. Used bumwad.
How do you know they haven't?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
How worse than the helicopters they name after Indians... That they use to kill other people
https://www.wearethemighty.com/histo...make-you-smile
Yes I read the article on the reason behind it... And it is a crap reason to me, there are better ways to honor Indians than name was machines after them

And the Piper line of small aircraft. Cherokee, Navajo, Chieftan, Seminole, Seneca, etc.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I'd rather attention be on the living conditions of indigenous people of the US rather than sports team names.

Like, no running water for Navajo (Dine) Nation in northwest New Mexico.

Priorities....
And yet we don't.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.
In the examples you give (also: the Minnesota Vikings, for ex.), people are naming themselves, from images of their own culture. They're not naming themselves by images taken from a people that their society has come to dominate, through a brutal history of war, extermination, and deliberate marginalization. Also, Native American organizations maintain that the objectification and stereotyping that the sports names perpetrate, contribute to the high rate of violent crime against Native people by non-Natives. Part of the issue is that some of the images used are cartoonish, and take Native American symbols out of context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...genous_peoples
http://www.aimovement.org/ncrsm/
On the National Coalistion on Racism in Sports and Media:
Quote:
Their mission was and still is rooted in the belief that the use of Indian and indigenous people as athletic mascots is dehumanizing to the Native American race as it perpetuates negative connotations and inaccurate stereotypes. The ultimate goal of the NCRSM is to remove the "desecration" of their spiritual practices that use feathers, paints, dances, music and instruments in the incorrect context.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-10-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-10-2018, 11:11 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In the examples you give (also: the Minnesota Vikings, for ex.), people are naming themselves, from images of their own culture. They're not naming themselves by images taken from a people that their society has come to dominate, through a brutal history of war, extermination, and deliberate marginalization. Also, Native American organizations maintain that the objectification and stereotyping that the sports names perpetrate, contribute to the high rate of violent crime against Native people by non-Natives. Part of the issue is that some of the images used are cartoonish, and take Native American symbols out of context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...genous_peoples
National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media
On the National Coalistion on Racism in Sports and Media:
Well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates