Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
I agree, everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Because where will it stop?

You legalize pot then why not legalize LSD, etc.?

Illegal drugs should stay illegal, just my opinion.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Yeah, why not? Lets Legalize LSD too.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Because where will it stop?

Illegal drugs should stay illegal, just my opinion.
So your answer to the OP is "because it is illegal" wow.

You're right, thats a great reason why pot shouldn't be legalized.

Like you said, if we legalize pot, then why not crack or murder or DUI.

12 pages and still not one valid reason. LOL.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 10-25-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by nevergoingback
Quote:
12 pages and still not one valid reason. LOL.
LoL, addiction and brain damage from long-term use is the main reason to not legalize pot, but I guess potheads don't see any downside to these 2.
I guess they do believe that denial is just a river in Egypt?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This will create even more powerful drug gangs. Making something legal to use but illegal to sell as a business simply doesn't work. This is what was done during prohibition, the result was the creation of numerous powerful gangs.

I don't think most people realize how powerful drug gangs like MS-13 are. These gangs are essentially well structured corporations with a large revenue stream coming from drugs (MS-13 like some other Latino based gangs does some human smuggling too). These sorts of gangs cause thousands of deaths a year and there is really only one way to stop them - cut off their revenue. If you decriminlize the user of drugs but criminalize the selling of drugs it will only increase their revenue stream.

Seriously, though it takes a huge effort (and cost) to take one of these large gangs (illegal corporations) down. And when you take one down, it just strengthens another.

So, yes increase drug gang/cartels revenue. Sounds like a great plan.

The criminal element has been around since the dawn of existance.
You or any law is not going to make it go away. If these people get sloppy they go to jail.
If they want to sell drugs and be cool about then there is no harm and the addicted get help. Being more open about treatment and still having it be wrong to sell will spread by word of mouth to make less people touch it or get out of it sooner.
The life handed to a junky after jail etc keeps them a customer.
Treatment doesnt.
Treat the need and the revenue goes away.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yeah, why not? Lets Legalize LSD too.
Yeh...lets have people driving around on it too...

LSD should NEVER be legal. A trip can last way too long to function normally at all and will trigger mental illness.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
IMO, No.

I rank marijuana on the same lines as alcoholic beverages. Since you smoke it - I actually believe it's a lesser evil than tobacco. I think you obviously should be buried under the jail if you drive while impared on ANY substance! People get addicted to all sorts of things - the legalization of pot should not be a factor in that equation. Just my opinion ...

Old 10-25-2008, 03:18 PM

95 posts, read 310,874 times
The correlation to brain damage and marijuana use is zilch. The study which created that myth has been debunked many many years ago but the negative propaganda lives on. The test happened in 1974, It was about a rhesus monkey who was forced to have a constant flow of smoke equal to 63 joints in 5 minutes hooked up to a mask losing no smoke, every day for 3 months. What do you think happened after this? Brain cell loss of coarse, but not because of the toxicity of marijuana but oxygen deprivation! . The brain cell loss is typical in people who get stuck in burning down buildings not getting enough oxygen. And also getting a heavy dose of carbon monoxide from the extremely large amounts of smoke they were inhaling in such a short amount of time. The scientists were bias and then they just released "Marijuana causes permanent brain cell damage", of course many people were very curious about this and wanted to see the report they wouldn't release it for 6 years. After numerous requests and various law suits finally the truth came out, but the lies were out for 6 years untouched. That is were people hear the myth of Marijuana causes brain damage, to this day the government still stands by this report as conclusive evidence. Anyone could see that this is completely and utterly false.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by nevergoingback LoL, addiction and brain damage from long-term use is the main reason to not legalize pot, but I guess potheads don't see any downside to these 2.
I guess they do believe that denial is just a river in Egypt?
Firstly, Marijuana isn't very addictive. Any addiction is going to be psychological. Secondly, although brain damage can occur in chronic Marijuana use. The use has to be heavy and over long periods of time. But most importantly, these are arguments for an individual not to smoke pot. Individuals should be able to decide whether they want to smoke pot.

Legalizing Marijuana isn't going to force you to smoke it so the health effects, although modest, simply aren't an argument to keep it illegal. If we are going to make things illegal based on their healthy consequences when abused, they we need ban fatty meat, refined sugar and a number of things that you an easily purchase. But this is ridiculous, people should be able to decide for themselves. If someone wants to kill themselves slowly by eating fatty meat every day, or smoking pot that is their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates