Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times

Advertisements

You said one good reason right? Just one and this will END ALL DISCUSSION, right? Because people are idiots and will use it whenever they want to including during times when it kills someone else... of course you could attribute alcohol use to the same problem and it is legal to consume alcohol (as well as other things)... do you really want to add marijuana usage to the mix? Well, I gave you one reason... we already have lots of consumables that will do just that... I rather we not expand the list... end of discussion...one reason wanted, one reason given...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,436 times
Anything in excess is dangerous to someone whether it's the user's health or the potential for side effects of the substance being used:

Excessive eating can= healthcare costs, emotional toll on family, diabetic coma while driving-thus vehicular manslughter, etc. Should we close down McD's?

Excessive drinking can = healthcare costs, emotional costs, possible DUI with vehicular manslaughter possibilities. Emotional toll on family. Shall we enact Prohibition again?

Drugs can (prescription abuse or otherwise and/or current illegal drugs)=healthcare costs, emotional costs, possible DUI with vehicular manslaughter possibilities.

It is up to the individual truly. So, I'm not sure what should be done. I'd hate to have to make that decision!

Last edited by Truly Heartless; 01-03-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You said one good reason right? Just one and this will END ALL DISCUSSION, right? Because people are idiots and will use it whenever they want to including during times when it kills someone else... of course you could attribute alcohol use to the same problem and it is legal to consume alcohol (as well as other things)... do you really want to add marijuana usage to the mix? Well, I gave you one reason... we already have lots of consumables that will do just that... I rather we not expand the list... end of discussion...one reason wanted, one reason given...
Can you please link me to the site that has the statistics of those that have overdosed on reefer and died? Your right though, people are idiots so we should get rid of things like fast food because you can eat it whenever you want and if your driving and eating you could run a person over.

We should get rid of suitcases also because when you stuff too many in the back of the car you cut off visibility and could hit a person and kill them (or crash). We should get rid of cellphones because...you know the deal with cellphones. Radio and CD players have to go to; fiddling with those suckers can cause you to veer off the road and kill somebody. Matter of fact, let's go outside of the car and outlaw everything that can lead to the death of another. That's everything, right?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
Quote:
Those idiots already do use it when ever they want. Surprisingly enough no deaths or accidental killings have ever been directly attributed consuming marijuana alone. Try again, or prove me wrong. We're looking for a legit reason.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by renter8319
Quote:
i don't understand why you brought this up, but smoking anything causes second hand smoke and a particuler odor some people may not like. so they do not want to infringe on the rights of the people that don't smoke. it has nothing to do with the legalizing or not legalizing pot.
It has to do with our government encouraging people to stop smoking, but not by forbidding it. The Dutch government does not encourage smoking pot yet they have not made it illegal.
We aren't really concerned with our youth becoming potheads, but we are concerned about them becoming hard drug addicts.
And we don't want our addicts to fall into the hands of criminal organisations.

Originally Posted by allah truth
Quote:
We're looking for a legit reason.
A legit reason is that doing drugs (including smoking pot) doubles the chance of a mental illness when an ancestor already suffered from a mental illness.
See my post http://www.city-data.com/forum/6652355-post300.html

Last edited by Tricky D; 01-07-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Originally Posted by allah truthA legit reason is that doing drugs (including smoking pot) doubles the chance of a mental illness when an ancestor already suffered from a mental illness.
See my post http://www.city-data.com/forum/6652355-post300.html
So you promote the restriction to all for the questionably potential sake of a few?
Even that few number made smaller by those that wouldn't smoke even if legal
Bzzzzzztttttt.
Not a legitimate reason to my way of thinking.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by old_cold
Quote:
So you promote the restriction to all for the questionably potential sake of a few?
For health reasons I'm against it, but for combating drug related crime I'm all for legalising soft drugs.
So I guess I'm for legalising soft drugs, simply because (drug related) crime is a much bigger problem.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky

Originally Posted by allah truthA legit reason is that doing drugs (including smoking pot) doubles the chance of a mental illness when an ancestor already suffered from a mental illness.
See my post [URL
http://www.city-data.com/forum/6652355-post300.html[/url]
Proof? Sounds like a very unethical study if one were to take place. I see it differently. If someone has a mental illness or family with mental illness it doubles their chances of doing drugs. Drugs allow crazy people to be content with being crazy, yes, but they don't cause crazyness. Still if it were true, "drugs are bad for you" isn't really a legit reason for prohibition. You're government got it right. It must suck though being the worlds drug tourist spot.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
I think he meant one LOGICAL reason, because your reason lacks logic. Do you think that nobody smokes pot already? Being illegal only does one thing, it takes money from the public domain and puts it in the black market. It does nothing to stop pot usage. I can get it at my corner store, I can call up almost anyone in my cell phone and they can get it to me. I'd much rather see the billions spent on pot getting taxed and creating legitimate jobs (like tobacco, alcohol, and incredibly dangerous pharaceuticals) that also generate tax revenue. Anyone who thinks logically will see that and realize that the "it will cost lives" argument is as weak as they come. Plus, pot is far safer (in terms of deaths by use) than many foods (especially McDonalds and the like), most legal pharmaceuticals and many over-the-counter drugs. Sugar, fat and salt cause a lot more deaths than pot ever will. So the whole "we don't need one more" is also BS because it's already out there and it has been said to be one of the 3 or 4 biggest cash crops in America. What we do have though, is a large pile of money available to anyone willing to break the law. Prohibition leads to organized crime and that's a much bigger problem for society than a pothead zoning out watching Family Guy while downing a can of Pringles. If you're worried about the now-refuted "gateway theory", legalizing pot will put pot in the same place as alcohol and cigarettes and away from shady dealers. Some pot dealers also sell other drugs for their higher profit margin and will push those onto their customers. Legalize pot, and those "gateway" users wont have a gateway to go through because their pot wont be offered with a side of Coke.

Really, anyone who thinks pot should still be illegal is just not following logic, only propaganda and wild fantasies of danger that is simply not what pot is about. One of the first things FDR did to get the US out of the depression was to end prohibition. It helped create thousands of tax-paying jobs and crushed the wildly successful bootlegging-based Mafia for about 20 years until they started moving large amounts of Heroin and built up Las Vegas. How can cutting $30,000,000,000+ from the incomes of criminals be a bad thing? How can freeing up 750,000 hours of police time (due to the 1,000,000 marijuana possession arrests taking a minimum of 45 minutes to process and book) to focus on actual crimes be a bad thing? How can adding a new stream of tax revenue (from the sales and production of marijuana) to the books be a bad thing? These are facts that logical people can't ignore, even if they don't agree with people smoking marijuana. If marijuana is legalized, there will be more cops to solve real crimes (like murder, only ~50% of them are solved) more tax revenue to spend on education or fixing infrastructure, fewer people in prison to pay for, less money going into the hands of criminals and legitimate jobs being created. How do you argue with that?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by leftydan6
Quote:
I'd much rather see the billions spent on pot getting taxed and creating legitimate jobs (like tobacco, alcohol, and incredibly dangerous pharaceuticals) that also generate tax revenue.
And this is exactly why the Dutch government isn't in it for the money.
We're not in the business of creating a society where it is easy for the individual to become an addict of hard drugs.
Once your motivation for legalising soft drugs shifts to just making money there will be no reason to not also legalise hard drugs, which truly will be the beginning of the end of society as we know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates