Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM

488 posts, read 1,025,476 times

Advertisements

I know better than to ask this!How can a person of mixed race decide to be just black?Such as the first black ms.america was mixed race!Does it just look better in the history books?Or can you claim any race you have in you?Will history read first mixed president?I don't think so,Or first muslim president?[I am an no way trying to start a race arguement]God bless our president either way it is!I would like to hear what others think about this?Please no insulting of each other!God bless everyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Most American Blacks are "mixed" race. It came with the territory of slavery. Take my word for it. There were still laws on the books in the 60's about the "one drop rule" as in one drop of African blood makes you Black.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
The allegations that Obama is of the Muslim faith were unfounded and exploitations of polititions playing to the fear and mistrust of those of Muslim faith.

In terms of race, he favors his father's hue.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Is the presidents name not that of a muslim background? and was hue a muslim?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Most American Blacks are "mixed" race. It came with the territory of slavery. Take my word for it. There were still laws on the books in the 60's about the "one drop rule" as in one drop of African blood makes you Black.
Thanks i never knew that!that's intresting,

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
He's neither Muslim nor full black. He's a mixed Christian. Not a very hard concept to understand.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Default for some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
He's neither Muslim nor full black. He's a mixed Christian. Not a very hard concept to understand.
I am sorry but i don't know everything?But there is a lot to that is not understood about our prezz!Why does it make the news?When it almost seems as it is not clear where he was born? For some reason it makes the national news,You realy can't say it's race[but people will always say that]because he is who was voted in?So everthing is not as simple as it seems to you,or there would not be so much talk if it was so cut and dried..

Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 PM

And his name alone is what makes me wonder what his beliefs are? I kinda think a person who had a chance to be president would be dishonest about a few things to gain that kind of power!including all the past presidents with things in there closet!But i don't think i ever saw past president kissing or hugging known radicals,Maybe i am wrong but that is why i posted this to ask and find out what others have to say? so it's all not so clear to me?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I know better than to ask this!How can a person of mixed race decide to be just black?Such as the first black ms.america was mixed race!Does it just look better in the history books?Or can you claim any race you have in you?Will history read first mixed president?I don't think so,Or first muslim president?[I am an no way trying to start a race arguement]God bless our president either way it is!I would like to hear what others think about this?Please no insulting of each other!God bless everyone..
In terms of race I would simply ask:

When you look at Obama what/who do you see?

When he looks at himself, what/who do you think he sees?

What do you think or would you infer regarding his experience?

Many more Black folk are mixed than not, you can see that in us via our varied skin tones, hair textures, features, etc.

Also, intially Black folk did not "decide" to be Black. Race is a man-made construction, and not Black folks'. However, it is here to stay.

I've come across this question before of President Obama's race but hell, if you were walking down the street and saw him, I'm fairly certain you would percieve a Black man.

I don't get it. Is this some form of denial on the part of folks who have a problem with a Black president?

Were he a serial murderer and identified as Black, would white folk shout, "Oh no, let the record show, this man is but half Black!"

President aside, if said folks and/or folks questioning his race or proposing that he's not Black were walking down the street and encountered him, would not his be another Black face?

I can't imagine it's been anything different for him throughout his lifetime.
In terms of racism, discrimination and prejudice, folks don't inquire about the race of parents. Nobody says, "Wait now, before I perceive you as just another N, tell me true, are both your parents Black? Are either of them white? Do you have any white in your family?

A major contributing factor to a Black person being aware of his or her BlackNESS is experience...and state of mind regarding the same.

During and post slavery offspring of Black and White were referred to as mulattos, unless they could "pass".

Relatively recently the term "biracial" was coined, seems to me, for folks who want others to know they have a white parent or to acknowledge both. Whatever the case...

"full-black", "half-black", "a quarter black", an "eighth black",'
"mixed black" "blue-black", "tan-Black" "chocolate black"....

Black is Black all day every day for BLACK FOLK...and all that comes with being Black in this racist society.

HE knows he's Black. WE know he's Black.

Perhaps that is enough.

(btw, I've never heard President Obama identify as a muslim.)

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-18-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
The FACT is we are all mixed. He's as black as he is white, to say anything else is showing racial favoritism. He now chooses Christianity but at one time was indeed practicing the Muslim faith.
No biggie, just the way it is. You will never hear him refer to himself as a Muslim because it serves his purpose to keep that quiet, just as it served his purpose to play on his race to win. Its pretty laughable to think of him relating to the race issue in this country. Its not like he's from a poor or even middle class backround. If anything he proves that race itself holds no one back any more, but instead he will play the game to perpetuate racism so that future black leaders have something to work with. Pretty disgusting IMO.

But at any rate he is our first Black President & a Muslim when he wants to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates