Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Your white friends say N*igger around you?

Damn!
Yep! And I call them beaner, cracka, and slant eyes right back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
White friends and/or associates wouldn't be cozy and comfy using that word around me...unless they're talking about somebody else who said it.
See, you are a prime example of letting a word bother the hell out of you. Someone calls me a n*gga or n*gger - I don't care because I'm comfortable in my own skin, comfortable in myself as a human being and I don't let simpleton words from the past define or bother me. I know who I am and if someone says n*gger to me (in a derogatory manner) I let it pass on by me like they haven't said anything. It doesn't bother me because I don't let. Me going off on a person for saying that to me only a.) solidifies their opinion of black people in their mind b.) waste my breath and c.) get's nothing done. Someone says it? So what? The world isn't going to stop spinning, tilt on the wrong axis or stop. It's a word: plain and simple. YOU choose to be offended by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
SCGranny,

I wasn't familiar with that definition of "cracker" (cracking peanuts in GA)

I'm familiar with:

Cracker - slave owners (whip crackers)
That's a popular misconception; and shows how words can be assigned connotative meanings throughout the years. How many people when they hear the word "redneck" don't think of a fat guy driving a beat-up pickup with a beer in his hand and a shotgun in the rack? Yet 'rednecks' were actually farmers who worked all day in the sun...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
30 Rock on thursday an african american character calls a white character a "cracker". Anyone offended by this? What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
No because cracker isn' t a word that describe white people! It is just a word made up so non whites can have their own "racial slur" towards whites. Why would anybody white be offended by this stupid sounding childlish word.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
SCGranny,

Cracker - slave owners (whip crackers)

Haha! Then I know for sure I' m not a cracker!!! But it is funny because even as a racial slur it makes the white guy out to be the master. funny, I would then think white-trash would be more offensive even though we are above that one too.

Last edited by redwine; 03-23-2009 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Not our fault that that was the best they could do. See this is what happens when as a culture you reject education. Destened to second class status because of a 3rd grade vocabulary. Take this as a lesson. Stay in school.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
No because cracker isn' t a word that describe white people! It is just a word made up so non whites can have their own "racial slur" towards whites. Why would anybody white be offended by this stupid sounding childlish word.
The same can be said of the word ******.
The fact is that people make way too big a deal over words.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Quote:
Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education.
Cracker (pejorative) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
See, you are a prime example of letting a word bother the hell out of you. Someone calls me a n*gga or n*gger - I don't care because I'm comfortable in my own skin, comfortable in myself as a human being and I don't let simpleton words from the past define or bother me. I know who I am and if someone says n*gger to me (in a derogatory manner) I let it pass on by me like they haven't said anything. It doesn't bother me because I don't let. Me going off on a person for saying that to me only a.) solidifies their opinion of black people in their mind b.) waste my breath and c.) get's nothing done. Someone says it? So what? The world isn't going to stop spinning, tilt on the wrong axis or stop. It's a word: plain and simple. YOU choose to be offended by it.
You quoted someone else and used my name.

I'm white...

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You quoted someone else and used my name.

I'm white...
Whoops! Sorry typo!

I was speaking to Ms. DonnaReed on why I don't let the infamous n word bother me.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
30 Rock on thursday an african american character calls a white character a "cracker". Anyone offended by this? What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
As a huge fan of Lenny Bruce, I really don't see the problem here.

Plus, don't forget that chances are that the writer's room on 30 Rock is probably about 85% white anyway....

YouTube - Lenny Bruce - How To Relax Your Colored Friends At Parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates