Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

I really dont know about the Catholic religion, but most church goers or religious people dont claim to be God like. They know they are sinners and that they will sin in some fashion daily. This I did learn from spending a portion of my life a southern baptist. There is no way any human can follow every doctrine of the church, even the basic 10 commandments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Go have a double cheeseburger and CHILL!!
How many times do I gotta tell you ppl I dont eat bread...lol

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really dont know about the Catholic religion, but most church goers or religious people dont claim to be God like. They know they are sinners and that they will sin in some fashion daily. This I did learn from spending a portion of my life a southern baptist. There is no way any human can follow every doctrine of the church, even the basic 10 commandments.

I disagree slightly. I think the 10 commandments would be very easy to follow if you were inclined to do so. Many of our laws today are based upon the 10 commandments since many speculate religions' original purpose was to control the people. Most us follow a majority of these commandments w/out trying due to fear of imprisonment or moral beliefs. Heck I even follow most of them to respect my fellow man even though I have not a religious bone in my body

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
... I live in a highly Catholic area ao I vented about the ppl who I see daily. It makes NO SENSE to claim a religion and follow only one aspect of it, in fact its ridiculous.
I'm sure they follow more than ONE aspect of it. They can be members of a church and still choose not to follow every doctrine taught. The alternative is to form their own church. That's how all the protestant churches were formed; they broke off from their church and formed a new one with a slightly different set of rules. As it grew, others broke off from it, etc., etc.

If I like the church I'm attending but don't like all the rules, I break a few. That's between God and myself -- and perhaps the church itself. If the church doesn't want me, they can kick me out, but I fail to see what difference it makes to my neighbor whether I choose to eat meat or fish on Fridays.

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Heck I even follow most of them to respect my fellow man even though I have not a religious bone in my body
Most?
Quote:
I think the 10 commandments would be very easy to follow

Have you ever done any work on Sunday-Sabbath
Have you ever disrespected your parents-Honor
Have you ever wanted something others had-Covet
Have you ever cursed-Taken Gods name in vein
Have you ever worshiped idols-False idols
Have you ever taken anything that wasnt yours-Steal
Have your ever been untruthful-lie

These thing are hard for us. Sometimes we have to work on sunday even if our ox isnt in the ditch. Most teens hate their parents for a time. Most have thoughts of wanting more than we can afford or have lustful thoughts about someone elses SO. Most of us in anger or frustration or excitement will utter God or Jesus Christ. Most of us have followed the celebs, put up posters of our favorite band, etc. Most have taken something even if its a little fib on our tax return, keeping change when a clerk made a mistake and most have at sometime told a little white lie.

Worshiping God, not murdering someone and not committing adultry are easy, sometimes.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
I am so relieved that Good Friday and all the Fridays leading up to Easter are gone. Every year I get so sick of all the phonies who won't eat meat on Fridays and think they are practicing Catholics...lmao. They cheat on their spouse, beat their kids, lie and steal but if they don't eat meat a few Fridays out of the ear they are good people. If you believe in a religion, follow it. I am so sick of these half a**ed Christians/Catholics. While I am not fond of the fundamentalists either at least they follow their religion more thouroughly!
Huh, and here I came into this thread thinking that it was going to be a discussion about eating meat versus vegetarian/veganism, and all I get is a rant against people who believe differently than you do. Hey, if they leave me alone and don't try to impose their religion on me, I'm fine with however they want to practice theirs as long as it's legal. It ain't no thang to me, yanno?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Most?

Have you ever done any work on Sunday-Sabbath
Have you ever disrespected your parents-Honor
Have you ever wanted something others had-Covet
Have you ever cursed-Taken Gods name in vein
Have you ever worshiped idols-False idols
Have you ever taken anything that wasnt yours-Steal
Have your ever been untruthful-lie

These thing are hard for us. Sometimes we have to work on sunday even if our ox isnt in the ditch. Most teens hate their parents for a time. Most have thoughts of wanting more than we can afford or have lustful thoughts about someone elses SO. Most of us in anger or frustration or excitement will utter God or Jesus Christ. Most of us have followed the celebs, put up posters of our favorite band, etc. Most have taken something even if its a little fib on our tax return, keeping change when a clerk made a mistake and most have at sometime told a little white lie.

Worshiping God, not murdering someone and not committing adultry are easy, sometimes.
Not an outrageously difficult list to follow. For a teenager I could see it being hard but for an adult who was really commited to Catholiscm or Christianity it could be done at least 95 % of the time. Not saying ppl would not be tempted to break them but if you were truly commited they could be followed.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
There are half-assed people in every religion. Heck, there are half-assed agnostics and atheists, too. Why single out the Catholics who choose to make a sacrifice during Lent?

Quote:
There is no way any human can follow every doctrine of the church, even the basic 10 commandments.
Kinda what makes us human, isn't it?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
for an adult who was really commited to Catholiscm or Christianity it could be done at least 95 % of the time. Not saying ppl would not be tempted to break them but if you were truly commited they could be followed

I agree and thats what Christians strive for. Its the 5% of the time they get scrutinized.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I live in a highly Catholic area ao I vented about the ppl who I see daily. It makes NO SENSE to claim a religion and follow only one aspect of it, in fact its ridiculous.
I agree with the gist of your post; just not the delivery. I know Catholics who I have asked why they don't eat meat during lent; and what the point of lent even is. The general response is "because" or "I don't know." Occasionally, I get a solid response; but I don't think less of the Catholics because some of them can't explain the intricacies of lent. I just wonder aloud why they follow something they can't explain.

Humans are humans, and no one is perfect, not even Christians. In the end, it does not matter if you are Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, whatever. None of that demoninational stuff matters. All that matters is a relationship with God. All that other stuff distracts from the point of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates