Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
This doesn't make sense.

Why would someone buy an insurance if they couldn't afford it?
Same reason someone would by a big screen plasma TV if they couldn't afford it, or a Hummer, or a box of nuggets.

Specifically about insurance, The trusted agent (who gives uniforms to the little league team, so must be honest) has a profit motive to tell them that it is a good way to invest money, and nobody has a profit motive to disabuse them of that lie, so the consumer gets only one side of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Same reason someone would by a big screen plasma TV if they couldn't afford it, or a Hummer, or a box of nuggets.

Specifically about insurance, The trusted gent has a profit motive to tell them that it is a good way to invest money, and nobody has a profit motive to disabuse them of that lie, so they get only one side of the story.
Why not just research it on the internet? If someone's stupidity puts them into a tough situation, it is their own fault.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71
Quote:
Why would someone buy an insurance if they couldn't afford it?
Obviously, if the consumer acts to buy something, then the banker does no immoral act with the sale.
Because the whole system became to complicated for the average Joe to understand it correctly and the banker never explained his client how it really works ( maybe because he doesn't understand it himself?).
If a banker only cares about himself and doesn't care about his client, which is the case when greed comes into play, the whole system will eventually come crashing down.

Quote:
Capitalists do not want want to spread the wealth? Where did you get this from?
Learn to read English, I wrote:
Quote:
The only important difference I see between a capitalist and a communist system is that communists want to spread poverty over the population while capitalist wants to spread the wealth.
Unfortunately it doesn't really matter because the majority of the people will end up poor anyway, because in both systems only those in power will become (filthy) rich.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Why not just research it on the internet? If someone's stupidity puts them into a tough situation, it is their own fault.
Because if you google /insurance investment / 99.9% of the hits will represent the point of view of people who have a profit motive in persuading you that it is a good way to invest money. Nobody has a profit motive in creating a site that will tell you the truth.

So you believe a civilized society consists of smart people grabbing everything can from those who are not so smart. Is that correct? "A fool and his money are soon parted" is, to you, not just an observation of human condition, but a moral mantra of how things should be in a fair and just and Christian society. Fools exist for the purpose of doing all the work, so you can grab what you can of their earnings.

By the way, the organized Christains have played this to the hilt. Nobody is more adept at parting a fool from his money than the church.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
If they were going to save the world certainly they would have doen so in the 60's when tehy had a very high majority and wre much better oraganized. I the end many were just potheads like how wanting some one else to feed them and clothe them.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If they were going to save the world certainly they would have doen so in the 60's when tehy had a very high majority and wre much better oraganized. I the end many were just potheads like how wanting some one else to feed them and clothe them.
They did save the world. Only the Vietnamese were in a position to notice that.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
You need to pay more attention. Youth of today are daring and imaginative and creative and courageous people the likes of which our culture has never seen before. True, most of them are just along for the ride, as has been the case in every generation.

Youth of today are creating highly artistic music and cinema and literature, which are fields that youth of previous generations were locked out of. A kid in his room with a $3,000 videocam and Final Cut Pro in his Mac can turn out a full-length movie with every technical cinematic feature that a big studio is capable of producing with a 5-million dollar budget. And they are doing it, and independent cinema is scaring the hell out of Hollywood.

Today's technology is capable of giving wings to what in the past had no chance of going beyond whimsy. There is a whole new dimension to truth. You can post a statement on this forum, and within seconds I can refute it, because the technology exists to locate the truth in an unimaginably vast body of knowledge. I can find out in seconds in my living room what used to take a week in a library.

There will always be great minds. Do not underestimate the power of new techology to feed them. Instead of an old Brownie box camera, kids have been given tools that make creativity fun. And they are using them with enthusiasm
i know i see alot of it on u tube they are realy creative technolodgy is a double edge sword that will castrate us all in the future what the hell are we going to do without heads.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,592 times
Quote:
Because if you google /insurance investment / 99.9% of the hits will represent the point of view of people who have a profit motive in persuading you that it is a good way to invest money. Nobody has a profit motive in creating a site that will tell you the truth.

So you believe a civilized society consists of smart people grabbing everything can from those who are not so smart. Is that correct? "A fool and his money are soon parted" is, to you, not just an observation of human condition, but a moral mantra of how things should be in a fair and just and Christian society. Fools exist for the purpose of doing all the work, so you can grab what you can of their earnings.

By the way, the organized Christains have played this to the hilt. Nobody is more adept at parting a fool from his money than the church.
I'm pretty sure that the investment comes with contract/terms/etc. that you can use to make an informed choice. It honestly not that hard. I have investments in the sun tanning industry-- so of course I'm going to present a positive case! You google and you can find negatives. You link me to the insurance investment and I can show you where someone else has refuted it. People may not have a profit motive in refuting bad investment-- but they may have a moral motive.

I agree with your statements on the Church. It is a foolish way to give money.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
. . . castrate us all in the future what the hell are we going to do without heads.

I suspect you are thinking with the wrong part of your body.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the investment comes with contract/terms/etc. that you can use to make an informed choice. It honestly not that hard. I have investments in the sun tanning industry-- so of course I'm going to present a positive case! You google and you can find negatives. You link me to the insurance investment and I can show you where someone else has refuted it. People may not have a profit motive in refuting bad investment-- but they may have a moral motive.

I agree with your statements on the Church. It is a foolish way to give money.
Auto leases come with contract terms and disclosures, too. But people keep leasing them anyway. No price is too high to pay for that new car smell.

I'm glad you are smart. What are we to do with those who are not? Just keep on robbing them blind? Like the ones who give you money in exchange for a tan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates