Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 Because the whole system became to complicated for the average Joe to understand it correctly and the banker never explained his client how it really works ( maybe because he doesn't understand it himself?).
If a banker only cares about himself and doesn't care about his client, which is the case when greed comes into play, the whole system will eventually come crashing down.

Learn to read English, I wrote:
You wrote:
while capitalist wants to spread the wealth.

Learn to write proper English as well.

I haven't found an investment that can't be understood and my broker does a very good job of explaining the investment to me. I also do independent research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Today's technology is capable of giving wings to what in the past had no chance of going beyond whimsy. There is a whole new dimension to truth. ... the technology exists to locate the truth in an unimaginably vast body of knowledge. I can find out in seconds in my living room what used to take a week in a library.
Absolutely. This is one of the few things that I am actually excited about on a daily basis in our modern world--all of this wonderful information that in the past was either not available in a practical sense, or as you stated, took weeks of searching in libraries. What we now have at our fingertips is incredible. Thinking back just a few decades, the way we 'used to do it' now seems ridiculous and almost comical. Although I sometimes question the worth of many modern ‘conveniences,’ this one is, without question, truly revolutionary and liberating in scope.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Auto leases come with contract terms and disclosures, too. But people keep leasing them anyway.

I'm glad you are smart. What are we to do with those who are not? Just keep on robbing them blind? Like the ones who give you money in exchange for a tan?
You seem to believe that as a society, we have a duty to protect those who are not able to make correct choices. I have no duty to such a thing. However, there are people who believe they do have that responsibility.

If the person is autistic or has a brain disability-- its a different story. However, I doubt this person will lease a car anytime soon.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71
Quote:
Capitalists do not want to spread the wealth? Where did you get this from?
So you admit that I never wrote that capitalists don’t want to spread the wealth.
If so why the heck ask me a question about something I’ve never posted?

Quote:
You wrote:
while capitalist wants to spread the wealth.

Learn to write proper English as well.
That is proper English.
Capitalists, opposed to communists who want to equally distribute poverty over the population, want to equally distribute wealth over the population.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
You seem to believe that as a society, we have a duty to protect those who are not able to make correct choices. .

I don't just "seem" to believe that---I absolutely and emphatically and unequivocally believe that.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, . . . .

For example, are you in favor of economically supporting public schools, to bring basic education to children whose parents are "not able to make correct choices", and would not educate their children if it were up to them?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I don't just "seem" to believe that---I absolutely and emphatically believe that.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,
Sure! The government has every right to promote the general Welfare.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 So you admit that I never wrote that capitalists don’t want to spread the wealth.
If so why the heck ask me a question about something I’ve never posted?

That is proper English.
Capitalists, opposed to communists who want to equally distribute poverty over the population, want to equally distribute wealth over the population.
No, they don't want to equally distribute wealth over the population.

You looked into my ? mark too much.

Its like this:

1+1=2? as in being sarcastic.

My bad.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No, they don't want to equally distribute wealth over the population.
Ah, so you are agreeing with me that capitalists only care about themselves?
That they don't care about the public welfare?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 Ah, so you are agreeing with me that capitalists only care about themselves?
That they don't care about the public welfare?
Sure.

The quality of public welfare increases with freedom of the market.

Someone can volunteer for a charity and operate a bank.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The quality of public welfare increases with freedom of the market.
LoL, you still haven't learned anything from the current credit crisis, have ya?
If you keep offering your people credit cards they'll keep maximizing them even when they can't pay off the loans.
But I guess this isn't a concern of yours.
Or of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates