Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I once had a job in which I handled cheap porous paper a lot, and in winter it was drying out and chapping my hands. Someone suggested a hand cream that contained Urea, so I thought, I'll just pee on them. It worked great, and the price was right. Peeing in the shower is also a sure fire treatment for athletes foot.
An old fashioned cure for acne is to wash ones face in morning urine. The woman advocating this (I swear I saw this several years ago on Oprah) advised changing a babys diaper and using that as a washcloth.

I didn't try it, but she swore it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You did not answer my question. And it is unnatural for a human to rely on pills to supplement diet.
I don't see the relevance of your question since vitamins are not unnatural.

Gee, let me think for a second, Which would I rather have….

A diet consisting of synthetic vitamins, be fit and in near perfect health OR a diet filled with “natural” meat and be overweight, cancer-prone, heart disease-prone and have beef rotting in my colon?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
But what economical benefits would companies have for using these gross substances in cosmetics, etc?
Because it's cheap. The animal shelter has to pay the company to pick up the animals (as opposed to recycling outfits that pay you for taking your usable scrap items).

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/cms1_031226.pdf

Export ban leads to pileup of dead beasts at rendering facility. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-california-metro-areas/771475-1.html - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
One thing that bothers me is how some people assume that vegetarians are probably just skinny, weak, hippie, etc.
I think what's more useful to know is that Asian monks have been practicing vegan-like vegetarianism for over 1000 years (maybe even close to 2000+ years). They have been able to create Asian martial arts at the same time. Here is a clip from a documentary (I think National Geographic) showing some abilities and making a brief mention of the food they eat.

YouTube - Shaolin Kung Fu (exploding the protein myth)

Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

A diet consisting of synthetic vitamins, be fit and in near perfect health OR a diet filled with “natural” meat and be overweight, cancer-prone, heart disease-prone and have beef rotting in my colon?
It's quite relevant but you seem unwilling to answer the question. And once again, no, relying on pills is not natural at all.

Regarding the second portion of your post, not true. Read this for starters: The Inuit Paradox | Nutrition | DISCOVER Magazine

Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Not to get off subject here but animal urine is used in cosmetics, clothing and hormone replacement???? Are you serious?
Yes. I have been involved in horse rescues where mares are bred and their urine collected and used for hormone replacement in humans (mostly in Canada). Thus resulting in unwanted foals that were generally sent to slaughter. The same was/is being done in the race horse industry where mares are bred to nurse the foal of race horses so they arent kept off the track to care for their own young. The foal of the nurse mare then often sent to slaughter only days old. Although there are alternatives for estrogen and lactation, the practice continues although I believe is declining.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:

How about eat 'natural' meat in the correct proportion and be perfectly healthy? Lean meat eaten in the correct amounts does not pose any health risks.

There are heathy and unhealthy vegetarians. There are healthy and unhealthy meat-eaters. A healthy diet can be obtained with or without meat. You are taking both sides to opposite extremes to make vegetarians look better. Doing that does not help people take you seriously.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I've had my fill! Never more shall another vegetable have to die to satisfy someone's craving for delicious little Brussels sprouts, or broccoli, or coleslaw. That's why I'm asking my Congressman to sponsor the Fake Food Act. No real foods will be processed in our factories anymore. Instead, chemically synthesized foods will become the only types of foods sold in our supermarkets. Welcome to Flavor Town.

I just can't take the screams of the poor plants that have to die to sate some vegetarian's hunger. (Whereas cows just kinda look at you with that stupid look on their faces...)

Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Good point, TK. Of course, vegetables feel pain. Why does a flower turn to face the sun? The same reason an animal eats. It is painful not to. The flower eats the suns rays, and turns toward the sun to avoid the pain of that hunger. That's how life works. Organisms that survive have evolved a system of pain, that encourages them to stop the pain by doing what has survival value. Why do you think plants are any different? The reflexes of plants are too slow for stupid humans to recognize their reactions to painful stimuli, and they don't have any vocal mechanism to cry out. But plants still are aware of adverse events and try to defend themselves from it.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:

If you're eating a balanced, properly portioned, biologically appropriate diet (which includes several grams of animal protein per day), you will not be overweight, cancer prone, at risk of heart disease, have beef rotting in your colon, nor will you have any need for dietary supplements.

The problem that most Americans have is a complete inability to control portions, they eat way too much processed food, do not drink enough water, have basically homogenous diets and have grossly insufficient fiber intake.

Meat does not make people fat, cancerous, diabetic and unhealthy. Undisciplined, uninformed lifestyles make people fat, cancerous, diabetic and unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates