Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Warlike tendencies?! Maybe in the US, but not so here. Where I come from hunters and soldiers alike are viewed upon as lowlifes and modern Neanderthals. I guess it has to do with your society, which is full of drug addicts, paranoids, racists, fundamentalists, and criminals, many of whom even carry firearms.

As far as your omnivorous appetites, they are acquired not innate. When I have children and give them sufficient vegetarian food from the start, I don't think they will all of a sudden start to kill animals because they have some vision that they need meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Livestock eat vegetation that humans do not. Once grown, they could feed you for a long time.
Absolutely. We do not eat grass, and livestock can also subsist, quite well, on what we consider to be weeds of no possible use. Cattle, and horses as well, scarf up the tumbleweeds, ironweed, and many other prolific and annoying flora herebouts, and get fat on the stuff. I cut down ironweed and such on a regular basis around here, and toss it in the hog pen, and they gobble it with gusto. Cheap feed man, and I don't have to haul it off. It gets turned into fertilizer.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Warlike tendencies?! Maybe in the US, but not so here. Where I come from hunters and soldiers alike are viewed upon as lowlifes and modern Neanderthals. I guess it has to do with your society, which is full of drug addicts, paranoids, racists, fundamentalists, and criminals, many of whom even carry firearms.

As far as your omnivorous appetites, they are acquired not innate. When I have children and give them sufficient vegetarian food from the start, I don't think they will all of a sudden start to kill animals because they have some vision that they need meat
Lol, lowlifes an 'Neanderthals' aye? How nice for you. 'My society'? You don't have a CLUE bout 'my society'. The US is a BIG place. Nobody of your ilk understands or appreciates soldiers or hunters, until you need them. And you will. Yes indeed. All the misguided belief in your superiority aside. Wow.........

Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:

Given the history of his culture, I find it slightly ironic that one born in Germany would lecture about warlike tendencies, paranoids, racists, fundamentalists and criminals. Further, someone who evidently lives in Portugal, a nation that legalized illicit drugs in 2001 in a last ditch effort (albeit a logically sound one) to combat one of the world's worst drug problems doesn't necessarily hold the towering moral high ground.

If you consider hunters and soldiers to be low-lives, I submit that you have not gotten to know enough of them. Do you actually know any hunters or soldiers personally? I doubt it. I don't hold that against you, though. Why would you want to get to know people you believe are low lives? I certainly do not feel a huge urge to get to know any Germans, who clearly hate Jews and support oppressive, heavily militarized government.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Without having watched the video, I am human, I don't care what animals do in the wild. I don't require their atrocities in order to justify my own.
Interesting. My point in posting it was showing the other poster that a quick death from my rifle is quite nice compared to how animals typically die, which is either from another predator, starvation, or disease (without any doctors around to make it painless).

Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

You are merely proving my own opinion that the people who are typically supporters of the animal rights agenda (with some exceptions) are quite detached from reality. It crosses the lines into foolishness, rejecting the ability to survive on one's own (hunting), to defend one's self against violence (soldiers), etc. I pray the U.S. never becomes as over-developed and urban as Western Europe. It breeds such foolish notions that humans are no longer a part of Nature. I won't comment much on European societies but suffice it to say they are full of the same problems you claim the U.S. is full of, likely worse in some countries too.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess it is clear that whatever we humans do has an impact on nature. But that does not mean that living in a house is nearly as bad as industrialized farming or hunting.

Growing cities are a problem, sure, but mostly when there are no green belts around them where animals can resort to and stay. Apart from that, when food and space get scarce, animals simply don't reproduce as much anymore. So it is not like existing wild animals are butchered down just because a suburb is spreading. There have always been species silently and gradually disappearing from the face of the earth for various reasons.
But I am in favor of renting, anyway.

It is also true that the production of animal-based foods uses up way more resources than the production of plant-based foods. There are various studies on that, if I find some time I will look for them on the internet. Brazil for instance is chopping down its precious rain forests to make space for giant soy plantations. The soy is then exported to the North and fed to our pigs and such animals. That is one sick system that endangers our global climate, and what for? To maintain our obesity and other health issues.
A person who lives in the wilderness, who grows most of their own food, hunts for meat, etc., has far less impact on the earth than a vegetarian person living in a city.

Much of the soy and so forth being grown in South America is to fuel the bio-fuels environmentalists are demanding, and supply people with fresh vegetables and fruits all winter long when otherwise it would be impossible because of winter...they're also cutting forests there to supply lumber because so much of our logging has been foolishly shut down by environmentalists...unintended consequences of NIMBY.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:

Seems like quite a condescending 'holier than thou' attitude.

An empty stomach can be a strong persuader. Your lifestyle simply cannot work for much of the world population in the absence of global cooperation (something that is spotty and temporary at best) because many areas of the world are not arable and/or do not have a growing season sufficiently long to cultivate survival crops. Because of this, these areas depend on the artificial system of world transportation we have had in our little speck of history the last 50 years or so. Should that system break down for whatever reason, the inhabitants of these areas would have to return to relying on traditional means of nutrition. Traditional foods in these areas are basically meat, fish, and possibly wild berries or hardy native wild plants/grains in some areas. In the absence of that... the inhabitants starve to death. How do you propose a native Greenlander or North Alaskan go about being a vegan without support from your 'civilized' region of the world?

I would also be careful about the self-righteousness concerning who is and who not 'warlike.' If you delve into history, you will find that some of the most advanced cultures that were the pinnacle of refinement in their time are now hotbeds for war, terrorism, and violence. Societies and politics can change literally overnight. I'd be a bit wary about proclaiming Utopia.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol, lowlifes an 'Neanderthals' aye? How nice for you. 'My society'? You don't have a CLUE bout 'my society'. The US is a BIG place. Nobody of your ilk understands or appreciates soldiers or hunters, until you need them. And you will. Yes indeed. All the misguided belief in your superiority aside. Wow.........
Well, that is not only my opinion, it is the opinion of most Germans, who after two world wars are understandably not overly keen on any armed people. Just today a leading German military speaker complained that soldiers are not respected in Germany. So it is obviously not only my view.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Given the history of his culture, I find it slightly ironic that one born in Germany would lecture about warlike tendencies, paranoids, racists, fundamentalists and criminals. Further, someone who evidently lives in Portugal, a nation that legalized illicit drugs in 2001 in a last ditch effort (albeit a logically sound one) to combat one of the world's worst drug problems doesn't necessarily hold the towering moral high ground.

If you consider hunters and soldiers to be low-lives, I submit that you have not gotten to know enough of them. Do you actually know any hunters or soldiers personally? I doubt it. I don't hold that against you, though. Why would you want to get to know people you believe are low lives? I certainly do not feel a huge urge to get to know any Germans, who clearly hate Jews and support oppressive, heavily militarized government.
Exactly BECAUSE I am German I am pissed off by any armed person.
And Portugal's drug problem is not that big at all, not bigger than that of other European countries.
Actually, I have a hunter in my extended family (tellingly also very fond of Spanish bull fighting), my parents broke off contact when I was a child, and I can't blame them. And soldiers, I don't believe violence can change things for the better. Just look at your country's activities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates