Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Define what you mean about being treated poorly for looking physically different.

I believe in equality between the races in terms of civil rights, educational and job opportunities and living wherever they want to in the US. And if we were co-workers, I would treat you as any other co-worker based on your quality of work and personality. The colour of your skin wouldn't make any difference to me. As to how much I respect any human being in my life, that is earned not a automatic given. The harder you work towards your goals, the more I would respect you. And I don't believe in affirmative action for anyone.

But... as an individual, it is still my choice whether or not we become close friends based on our personalities, common interests, morals, and lifestyles. And it's also my personal choice in terms of whether or not I find you or any other man attractive enough to want to date or marry.
Historically, it is more than that. I look at the things that have happened historically. People who "look different" get treated badly throughout history. Why is this? A control issue. When the slave trade started, Africans were being brought in droves. The slave trade became a racial matter because alot of people wanted control over people. Race was used as a reason to justify it, as well as colonialism all over the world, the matter of "The White Man's Burden". This is part of why if a person "looks" different, his or her look triggers a snap reaction, which can result in all kinds of mistreatment. Same thing with Asians living in the USA. Asians looked different than everyone else and were treated badly for it, as well as for other reasons. That is what I meant by a person looking different and suffering for it.

You might think in those terms, and that is a good thing. With that said, there are others that do not.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 PM

116 posts, read 83,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
Because many human beings are inherently stupid, xenophobic and are basically afraid of anything "different".

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Well, MLK day is no more forcing black culture on you than Columbus day is forcing white culture. I, however, have absolutely no objections to the Chinese New Year as one more excuse to celebrate!
Well in my city, there are several MLK breakfasts with black speakers and other guest speakers, and snippets of the speeches get broadcast on the news. I've also worked several of these MLK breakfasts over the years. And the speeches by the black people are always complaining about blacks not getting enough of the money pie, but never any talk about trying to inspire the black youth to want to apply themselves in their academic studies or careers. It's all about the evil rich and what is owed the black people. Fortunately, once the speeches begin, the waiters can leave the room and we not have to hear much of what is said. This last MLK day in Boston, Martha Coakley and Scott Brown were invited to the breakfast, but only Coakley was given podium time and she turned it into a request for votes, which was very unfair to Brown. I'm so glad that Brown won. Anyway, Columbus day has no speeches that get media coverage. I suppose there is a parade in our Italian North End of Boston. St. Patrick's day is all about drinking and there is a political roast in our South Boston. Another difference is that none of these other holidays come with grumbling lectures about the past injustices and how the rich or whitey owes that particular minority interest group something.

And at work, we don't get paid for Veterans day or Presidents day, but we get MLK day paid for. Personally, I'd like a choice and be able to pick another holiday to get paid for.

Otherwise, just because I am not interested in ever dating a black man, I shouldn't be labeled a racist. I know plenty of non-black women of all races that would never date a black man, not because they think black men are bad, but that they don't find black men attractive enough physically. My high school friend who is Italian by heritage and who votes Independent, sometimes Democrat but never Republican, and who has mentored some Sudanese girls, and also took a black boy from her neighborhood into her house for over six years and helped with his schoolwork to get into college, well... she's not interested in dating black men either.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM

116 posts, read 83,934 times
Quote:
Well in my city, there are several MLK breakfasts with black speakers and other guest speakers, and snippets of the speeches get broadcast on the news. I've also worked several of these MLK breakfasts over the years. And the speeches by the black people are always complaining about blacks not getting enough of the money pie, but never any talk about trying to inspire the black youth to want to apply themselves in their academic studies or careers. It's all about the evil rich and what is owed the black people. Fortunately, once the speeches begin, the waiters can leave the room and we not have to hear much of what is said. This last MLK day in Boston, Martha Coakley and Scott Brown were invited to the breakfast, but only Coakley was given podium time and she turned it into a request for votes, which was very unfair to Brown. I'm so glad that Brown won. Anyway, Columbus day has no speeches that get media coverage. I suppose there is a parade in our Italian North End of Boston. St. Patrick's day is all about drinking and there is a political roast in our South Boston. Another difference is that none of these other holidays come with grumbling lectures about the past injustices and how the rich or whitey owes that particular minority interest group something.

And at work, we don't get paid for Veterans day or Presidents day, but we get MLK day paid for. Personally, I'd like a choice and be able to pick another holiday to get paid for.

Otherwise, just because I am not interested in ever dating a black man, I shouldn't be labeled a racist. I know plenty of non-black women of all races that would never date a black man, not because they think black men are bad, but that they don't find black men attractive enough physically. My high school friend who is Italian by heritage and who votes Independent, sometimes Democrat but never Republican, and who has mentored some Sudanese girls, and also took a black boy from her neighborhood into her house for over six years and helped with his schoolwork to get into college, well... she's not interested in dating black men either.
Don't tar all black men with the same brush. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
Racism is actually a natural inborn trait in humans, and the fact that is is still alive and well is proof that it was a primal biological trait that must have proved beneficial to us in the past, since if it weren't our Darwinian evolutionary process wouldn't have retained it.
It stems, no doubt, from back in our hunter-gatherer days, when it often proved dangerous to stray outside of one's tribe. Wariness of outsiders was thus retained as a survival instinct.
It's merely what Richard Dawkins calls "the selfish gene" at work. Just like our fight or flight instincts, which ramp up our adrenal glands and dilate our pupils and increas out heartrate when we're scared.
Deal with it. It may just save your life one day!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Racism is simply insecurity & fear whether it is Southern whites or inner-city blacks. But mostly it is fearful whites!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Mostly, racism is perpetuated by people who cannot fully understand the issues. You say someone is racist, because they are a fearful white. I say they are fearful because of the racist "minorities" that are taking the country by force with gangs. There is plenty of reason to fear the latin kings or the bloods and the crips or whatever. That being said, there is also plenty of reason to fear the KKK, although they are not what they used to be, mostly protesting rather than drawing and quartering people now.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Don't tar all black men with the same brush. It just makes you look ridiculous.
Why not? I am just not attracted to the way black men look. I'm not generalizing about the person they may be inside. It's like a guy saying that they will never date a fat chick. The physical attraction just isn't there and never will be. I hate the fat lips and the brillo texture hair.

So being a co-worker or friend is fine, I'm just not dating any of you. Stick to having your equal civil rights, but sleeping with women of other races should not be considered part of the spoils of your war for equality. It can be a bonus, but you can't demand being considered sexually attractive to women of other races. That's a personal taste and choice issue and not part of having equal civil rights.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Quote:
I hate the fat lips and the brillo texture hair.
Wow.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Mostly, racism is perpetuated by people who cannot fully understand the issues. You say someone is racist, because they are a fearful white. I say they are fearful because of the racist "minorities" that are taking the country by force with gangs. There is plenty of reason to fear the latin kings or the bloods and the crips or whatever. That being said, there is also plenty of reason to fear the KKK, although they are not what they used to be, mostly protesting rather than drawing and quartering people now.
I think you forgot about racist skinheads, W.A.R., A.B., other Neo-Nazi groups. BTW, racism is the belief that one race is inferior to another. What you describing is fear with a few elements of racial prejudice. What about the unabomber, Jeffrey Dahmer, Eric Rudolph, Mark Barton, the shooter who shot up a Penske Truck Rental place in Kennesaw,GA? What about the Columbine shooting? Most people of any race do not committ crimes. The gangs only constitute a small portion of the population. While they are causing problems in the neighborhoods, I don't see any of them in the government. They haven't taken over the whole country. Gangs have taken over certain neighborhoods and some suburbs, but not the whole country. The KKK actually managed to take over the government in many places. The KKK isn't what it used to be, I will give you that. Have you ever asked why people form gangs?
Why should anything have to stick to a particular race? How does it help me as a Black man for things to stick to me because of few Black gang members did some stupid stuff? I am going to let you know where I stand on this. I was mugged in the middle of the night by three Black men. Do I go around fearing ever Black people? No. I am a little more watchful of other persons regardless of race. I learn from experience that people of any race can be criminals and there are the good persons of every race and operate as such. When I was 11, a White kid living in my subdivision shot me with a paintball gun. Do I fear White people as a whole? No. I know better than that. I am aware that there are gangs. Why should it stick to the persons who aren't committing crimes regardless of race? How is it good for me to have someone fear me, an African-American, because some other African-American did something criminally stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates