Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
I believe the reason(s) why racism exists is/are a shared common denominator(s) as to why people discriminates against those that are different in some form whether it may be skin color, religion, ethnic background, political differences, cultural differences, economic status, envy, etc.
There are people in all walks of life that do show a bias toward others in any of these and other forms and in different degrees, take care.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 PM

138 posts, read 314,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism? We should be nice to others because we all are human beings... Any inputs?
Long thread but I have a simple word that will answer your question...

Ignorance.

-We are all from the same. Human.
-Different nations categorize race differently.
-Humanity is very diverse but there are truly only four types of people (Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, and a mix; primarily in facial features), this is due to generations of inbreeding among those populations. Even this is argued. In reality who is pure anything anymore, how the hell would you know?

Racism, Nationalism, Religion. Ill's of society.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
it all started with the "social experiment" known as forced integration.

Truth. People obviously prefer to live amongst those who look like themselves(this is why you have Chinatowns, or why white flight will go into space if it has to for example).

Friction results from disobeying this natural trait by forced integration; which oddly enough destroyed the Constitutional right to free assembly.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
My opinion is that in order to feel good about oneself, people need to look down on someone. Some people choose racism. Some people choose ethnicity. Some people choose education. Some people choose income level. Etc. I think the poison choice is based on how many people you know that agree with you. It reinforces the "I'm better than them" mentality.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:27 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Do female African Americans experience profiling also?
This happened to me while in university in Canada and it was very shocking. I was riding my bike on the street toward a lady in a parked car and when she saw me she locked her doors. She basically looked at me and put me in a box. A jane and Finch (rough part of Toronto) box.
Being from a country with a large population of African descent it was very shocking to me as I am so used to being just "normal" or "regular" like a white American might see themselves. By "normal" I mean I would think no more of my "blackness" and its place in Trinidadian society than a white American would think of their "whiteness" or what it means to be white in America. Not saying racism doesn't exist where I live...but it is very different. Noone would ever act like that here toward a respectable looking person. But she didnt see the fact that I looked like an obvious student...she jus saw my race before she saw me. It really blew me away and gave me some insight into what it would be like to live one's entire life with that sort of thing. I'd lived a sheltered life of many vacations around the world, parents who could afford to pay high Canadian international student tuition to send me to school, been immersed in a school system where academics are revered to the point of encouraging unhealthy competition among students and she still saw me as a thug. Insane!
Doesn't sound too different than what happened to me. I gave some people in an office a displeased look(rolling eyes and a disgusted sigh) and walked off. It came after being turned down for a job. The police were called on me, complaining about a "disturbance". I had to explain to the police what really happened. I thought "this shouldn't be happening to me on a college campus". All I had to do was look upset and the police were called. I believe race played a part. I just can't prove it. I found it completely stupid that someone would call the cops for something that petty. I wouldn't call the cops for something like that.
A few years later I was riding my bicycle on campus late at night. I was an insomniac, so I needed to get out and do something. The police were called for "suspicious activity". I thought "all I did was ride my bike". This happens alot. And it hurts when you get targeted and treated unfairly.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Truth. People obviously prefer to live amongst those who look like themselves(this is why you have Chinatowns, or why white flight will go into space if it has to for example).

Friction results from disobeying this natural trait by forced integration; which oddly enough destroyed the Constitutional right to free assembly.
Truth: a large segment of the USA population was put under FORCED SEGREGATION. This meant segregated schools, segregated water fountains, segregated other things as well. Last time I checked, African-Americans didn't get any say in that. Segregation was forced on them. If African-Americans were "disobeying that 'trait'", it had something to do with the fact that the segregation was forced and in many ways, a form of racist fascism.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Truth: a large segment of the USA population was put under FORCED SEGREGATION. This meant segregated schools, segregated water fountains, segregated other things as well. Last time I checked, African-Americans didn't get any say in that. Segregation was forced on them. If African-Americans were "disobeying that 'trait'", it had something to do with the fact that the segregation was forced and in many ways, a form of racist fascism.
Mmm. Yes. Forced integration (at gunpoint no less-because people really wanted it that badly) really has improved those schools hasn't it?

From #1 to what, below Papua New Guinea or wherever we are these days?

Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Mmm. Yes. Forced integration (at gunpoint no less-because people really wanted it that badly) really has improved those schools hasn't it?

From #1 to what, below Papua New Guinea or wherever we are these days?
It was #1 for a certain segment of the population. Blacks surely didn't have it that great. Do you call being forced at gunpoint to North America,being enslaved for 257 years, being subjected bigotry, discrimination, forced segregation, institutional racism, lynching, and other forms of being treated badly compared to the rest of the population #1?

If a certain portion of the population is being treated badly because of skin color, what is the point in a nation being "#1" if it isn't good for ALL of its citizens?

Jim Crow laws were forced on Black people in the South. How did this help Black people? Last time I checked, less money was spent on educating Blacks than on educating Whites. Blacks got schools that were not equipped as good as White schools. White schools got the new textbooks while Black schools got the "hand-me-downs". The buildings over all were not treated equally. White schools generally got better buildings. Tell me, how did Jim Crow laws, and forced school segregation help Black students? How did it help Black people to be forced to live in certain places, as opposed to being able to live anywhere they pleased? This happened in northern cities.

What good is it to be "#1" if because of your skin color, you don't get as many rights as someone else?

I'm asking serious questions.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Racism is a family value usually born in the hatred learned from christian religions.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Racism is a family value usually born in the hatred learned from christian religions.
It isn't learned from Christian religions. In fact, any form of hatred is against the Christian faith. Those person who are hateful and racist are wrong for that, and are not doing as Jesus would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates