Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everyone already knew that, even before you felt compelled to draw attention to your egotistic self with bold-face font. The question is about whether religion influences family values.
I do not understood you. What do you mean??
I use "bold-face font" just because I like. What is the problem?
Last but not least, I am not egotistic.
Are you forum psychologist??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I do not understood you. What do you mean??
I use "bold-face font" just because I like. What is the problem?
Last but not least, I am not egotistic.
Are you forum psychologist??
He's the forum "something...", that's for sure!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thank you. The link you cited had a link to the actual studies.

It makes sense - on one level - that the more religious communities (especially if they are Catholic) will have higher rates of teen pregnancy. The Catholic Church has always had a policy forbidding the use of contraceptives.

I don't think it means Catholic kids are having sex more often than non-Catholic (or non-religious), but aren't as apt to use contraceptives.

That I can believe.

I'd also be curious to know what other determining factors are involved. I'd bet that these more "deeply religious" states also happen to be the extremely poor states - such as Mississippi. And I sense that that, too, is complicit in the higher rates of teen pregnancy.

I'm also curious to know the number of teen pregnancies versus the number of teen births in various states. More religious states are apt to find teens not terminating their pregnancies by abortions, where more non-religious states might find a much higher rate of abortion-ended teen pregnancies.
We know that there has been a decrease in teen births with a rise in the last couple of years. I think getting abortion statistics is going to be real tough because there is no mandatory reporting system. I do think that in the deeply religious states they make it very hard to get abortions.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
We know that there has been a decrease in teen births with a rise in the last couple of years. I think getting abortion statistics is going to be real tough because there is no mandatory reporting system. I do think that in the deeply religious states they make it very hard to get abortions.
Right.

And that touches on one of the most critical issues here... It is relatively easy to twist statistics to say what we want them to say. It's easy to make implications without telling the whole truth.

For the sake of argument, let's say that there are 100 Catholic girls and 100 Atheist girls. All 200 of them are having sexual intercourse on a regular basis. But because Catholics frown on the use of contraceptives, 90 of the 100 Catholic girls end up pregnant, while only 10 of the Atheist girls get pregnant. Then let's say that 5 of the pregnant Catholic girls get abortions, and 5 of the Atheist girls get abortions.

Anybody could look at those statistics and say, "Well... 85 Catholic teenage girls had babies and only 5 Atheist teenage girls had babies - therefore, Catholic teenagers must be far more sexually active than Atheist teenagers." Statistics would seem to verify that statement, but it indeed would not be true.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Well, if you really wanted to you could. Someone could also come along and twist it and say: The Catholic teenage girls that had babies were "morally superior" for taking responsibility for their actions. The Atheist girls suffer no repercussions, therefore they are "hedonistic". That darn feminism.

It all depends on whose doing the blowing.

Religion doesn't make one more or less moral. It just makes one religious. And if that makes one happy or life easier, then its fantastic.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Well, if you really wanted to you could. Someone could also come along and twist it and say: The Catholic teenage girls that had babies were "morally superior" for taking responsibility for their actions. The Atheist girls suffer no repercussions, therefore they are "hedonistic". That darn feminism.

It all depends on whose doing the blowing.

Religion doesn't make one more or less moral. It just makes one religious. And if that makes one happy or life easier, then its fantastic.
Yep - those hedonistic feminists.

It is frustrating though, because partial statistics are so often cited and used - as half-truths - for political gain (or other kinds of gain). It's like the whole argument about blacks being so much more prone to be violent criminals.

Half-truths, based on incomplete statistics, can be very misleading - especially when other factors are conveniently ignored.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Yeah! Agreed.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
There is a significantly higher percentage of teen pregnancy in states with high numbers of religious (christian) believers. So yes, religion does have an effect on teen pregnancy--it INCREASES it.
There is also higher teen pregnancy in states that are pink on my map of the United States, and lower in states that are yellow. That does not imply a connection between the color of the state on the map and the teen pregnancy rate.

If two conditions both exist, that is neither proof nor evidence that one is the cause of the other.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM

310 posts, read 589,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is also higher teen pregnancy in states that are pink on my map of the United States, and lower in states that are yellow. That does not imply a connection between the color of the state on the map and the teen pregnancy rate.

If two conditions both exist, that is neither proof nor evidence that one is the cause of the other.
You'd look a lot smarter if you'd read the study and pay attention to the parameters before bringing up the causation/correllation argument here. The article specifically says that even adjusting for abortion rates and income level, the states with the highest teen birth rates are the most religious ones. This means -- oooh guess what?? Less religious states didn't show a higher abortion rate! OMG imagine that. Maybe there's something to that whole "teach your kids about birth control" thing. Amazing, innit?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Christianity and the bilbe dictate now christians should act. The ten commandments are guides to living a christian life. It also recognises that man is a sinner and can be forgiven. It recognises that many who say they are christians are not and lets god be their judge.Looking at society today :i would say it doesn't have as much influence as in the past of general society. But Christains have always existed in much worse circumstances. Bascially christianity has outlived numerous societies. It is the foundation of a christians core beliefs and really doesn't change much. But even different sects have the same core beliefs but different policy of the church on what the bible says. But the basics are there and all recognise for instances the core values of the ten commandments.I always find it funny that secular society always seems to value things like the richness of states. I alos always remmeebr that Mississpi alto there poorest state give more to charity as a per cent of their income than any other state.As a christian that tells me more about their real riches as a people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates