Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Teen pregnancy is not a religious problem. This is a family's problem. When the family is not well structured, bad things like that happen and others even worse.
But of course, it's not that simple. Most organized religions generally preach the importance of maintaining strong family structures (stressing the importance of marriage, abstaining from sex until marriage, etc), so that people don't fall prey to having children too young or out of wedlock....since those things often lead to poverty and other social and emotional problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
On a recent Dr. Oz show he interviewed several teen age girls and their mothers. One statistic that stood out was that 75% of girls have experience intercourse before the age of 14..
I think you're exaggerating here. Are you sure you heard that correctly????

Quote:
That contributes to anther statistic that 40% of America's children are now be reared in a single parent home..
This is correct.

Quote:
Our society no longer fears God or the threat of an eternity in hell..
I personally thank God for that!!! Unfortunately, people have now gone the opposite extreme. I'd go so far as to say, this extremist view of a fear-based God who could potentially send people to Hell for the smallest infraction is actually part of the reason why people have rebelled and gone the opposite extreme and decided "anything goes". Religious extremists have unwittingly contributed to the problems in our society that they complain about.

Quote:
As for the love of God and mankind...well, that ideal as long since past. We live in a hedonistic society that cherishes pleasure regardless of the consequences. We now live in a society that doesn't have the morals or ethics of a band of monkeys..
None of this is new, unfortunately. The type of immoral behavior changes from era to era. It used to be slavery and treating women as property. Now it's widespread abortion and out of wedlock births. We make progress in one area and drop the ball in another.

Quote:
The last abortion rate stat I saw was 3800 a day. That's right 3800 a day.....unborn human babies being dumped as medical waste and incinerated just like a cancer or an amputated limb. Religion has little bearing in our current society.
As horrible as I find abortion, you have to know that the number of abortions has actually been trending DOWN for the last 25 years or so. The % of pregnancies ending in abortion has also come down in recent years. The number of abortions is still horrific, but at least is moving in the right direction.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thank you. The link you cited had a link to the actual studies.

It makes sense - on one level - that the more religious communities (especially if they are Catholic) will have higher rates of teen pregnancy. The Catholic Church has always had a policy forbidding the use of contraceptives.

I don't think it means Catholic kids are having sex more often than non-Catholic (or non-religious), but aren't as apt to use contraceptives.
That sounds good in theory, but I don't know if it's true in practice. Some of the countries with the lowest birth rates in the world are Catholic (Spain & Italy only average 1.3 children per woman vs. 2.1 for the USA).

Catholics often don't listen to what the Pope & other Church leaders say.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
And if Religion has it’s way, we will have intellectual and educational standards to match.
Go into any Catholic school. You will see the kids learn more and are educated for far less money than public school kids are. So this argument just doesn't hold water. And that's true even if you control for income.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The only thing religion does is perpetuate a notion of "I'm better than you because I go to church" It is not the place of any religion to judge others, yet they are worse than anyone about it. You want to convene a group of hypocrites and liars? Open a church. Morals are not based in religion, they are based in common sense and human decency, churches exploit these for money.
There is some truth in what you are saying here. But it gets my ire up when I hear statements that start with "The only...."

There are an infinite number of ways in which people try to feel superior to each other. Some people buy stuff. Some people go to Church. Some people are in positions of power in business or government. Some have a great talent or skill that they think makes them better humans than others, etc. Bottom line is humans can and have used pretty much anything and everything to try to set themselves above others. It's not unique to organized religion.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that religion does have some but not a major influence in teen’s pregnancy. Religious teens maybe experience more fear of sin, but I believe that pregnancy has more to do with upbringing, morals and values learned at home, prevention awareness, and attachment to the parents. Young girls get pregnant because they are curious, or rebellious – that can happen even to girls from a “good, Christian house”. But the statistic is made mainly with girls that are coming from abusive families, unemployed parents, parents that neglect their kids or are unfit to rear them. Those girls are looking for acceptance and love outside their home. Their parents do not care how their kids spend time, what they do or with whom; there is missing loving relationship between the parents and the kids, sense of security, trust, understanding, discipline, coping and solving problems, open communication and guidance about life and sexuality.
This is the best answer

My only complaint is that the focus, as usual, is on girls and girls' behavior and does not mention boys and boys' behavior!!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreed2010 View Post
Religion has always played a vast role in society. Moreover, it has had a profound effect on morality. In other words, religion often justifies what is moral and immoral. It can be cultural and a value based philosophy that deters people of that particular belief from engaging in certain activities. It dictates how society should be run. This makes it the center of numerous debates among the general public. It can be difficult applying religion to certain topics because people have different views on religions. Furthermore, religious views often clash with each other. Issues that involve politics, humanities, science, education, and workplace are frequently at the core of religious debates. Given this, I am curious about how people think religious views influence our perspectives on teen pregnancy. In particular, do religious views play too strong of a role in our perspectives?
The Religion of Secular Humanism (moral relativism, narcissism, ego-centricism) has done more to contribute toward teen pregnancy than any other religion or source . In the USA, entitlement is so diefied that, 4000 developing Americans per day while in the womb are sucked into a nearby sink while mom reads the latest issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine on how to have better illicit sex. 95% of ALL abortions performed are due to Americas favorite pastime of sexual hedonism gone further wrong. So how do we change that as a nation ? Very simply : Return to God as the pillar for american living., just as the Nations Founders declared.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That sounds good in theory, but I don't know if it's true in practice. Some of the countries with the lowest birth rates in the world are Catholic (Spain & Italy only average 1.3 children per woman vs. 2.1 for the USA).

Catholics often don't listen to what the Pope & other Church leaders say.
I believe you hit the nail squarely on the head!

I think it's also fair to say that there are a lot of people who are Catholic in name only - kind of like there are Jews in name only.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The Religion of Secular Humanism (moral relativism, narcissism, ego-centricism) has done more to contribute toward teen pregnancy than any other religion or source . In the USA, entitlement is so diefied that, 4000 developing Americans per day while in the womb are sucked into a nearby sink while mom reads the latest issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine on how to have better illicit sex. 95% of ALL abortions performed are due to Americas favorite pastime of sexual hedonism gone further wrong. So how do we change that as a nation ? Very simply : Return to God as the pillar for american living., just as the Nations Founders declared.
I don't get the 'god' thing. Should we also go back to stoning women? Should women go back to being second class citizens, worth nothing more than cattle? Selling your daughters into slavery?

There is a lot in the bible that is horrific and terrible. Going to biblical rule would make us no better than extreme Islamists, and apparently you want that to happen.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't get the 'god' thing. Should we also go back to stoning women? Should women go back to being second class citizens, worth nothing more than cattle? Selling your daughters into slavery?

There is a lot in the bible that is horrific and terrible. Going to biblical rule would make us no better than extreme Islamists, and apparently you want that to happen.
You don't understand the Bible.

There is a LOT of what is in the Bible that was a commentary on what was going on - not a command to perpetuate or increase it.

Historic context is absolutely necessary to understand BEFORE you begin condemning people and their sacred writings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates