Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I think it bears repeating at this point that while crazy Evangelicals fall under the umbrella of Christianity, not all Christians are crazy Evangelicals.
It's also fair to note that people who throw weird insults at Christianity (insults like "crazy evangelicals") usually have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

I know a LOT of Christians, and the overwhelming majority of them are highly educated, very intelligent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Fair enough. Perhaps I should have clarified by saying that extremely conservative, fire and brimstone, "God smote the Haitians because they made a deal with the devil" Christians make up a fairly tiny portion of the faith.

And, I agree with you that many Christians are extremely well-educated, intelligent people. We also understand that life is messy.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-11-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think that religion does have some but not a major influence in teen’s pregnancy. Religious teens maybe experience more fear of sin, but I believe that pregnancy has more to do with upbringing, morals and values learned at home, prevention awareness, and attachment to the parents. Young girls get pregnant because they are curious, or rebellious – that can happen even to girls from a “good, Christian house”. But the statistic is made mainly with girls that are coming from abusive families, unemployed parents, parents that neglect their kids or are unfit to rear them. Those girls are looking for acceptance and love outside their home. Their parents do not care how their kids spend time, what they do or with whom; there is missing loving relationship between the parents and the kids, sense of security, trust, understanding, discipline, coping and solving problems, open communication and guidance about life and sexuality.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
No, I don't think religious views play a too strong a role in our perspectative of teen pregnacy since statistics are showing that america has decline in the afflication with institutions of religion. Maybe, that is why there is an increased in teen pregnacy. I do think that if one is afflicate with an extreme religious group that this might cause some teen's rebellious attitudes but I don't think that this is the only factor that might cause an increase in teen pregnacy. I think that parents or guardians may not have the expectations of avoiding children having children and if one does have this expectations, they may not discuss it openly with their teens.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
it's amazing how out of touch with reality these posts are. not all teens get pregnant out of rebelliousness, it's usually from naivety and poor parenting.

religion has nothing to do with it either.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think most teen pregnancies are the result of ignorance more than desire. Very few teens, but not all, want to become pregnant or daddies. Teaching childern the good and the bad about sex is necessary to keep the pregnancy rate down.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think most teen pregnancies are the result of ignorance more than desire. Very few teens, but not all, want to become pregnant or daddies. Teaching childern the good and the bad about sex is necessary to keep the pregnancy rate down.
Teenage pregnancy and number and age of siblings would be an interesting area of research. As children enter adolescence, is the presence of young siblings correlated with lower than average teen pregnancy rates?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreed2010 View Post
Religion has always played a vast role in society. Moreover, it has had a profound effect on morality. In other words, religion often justifies what is moral and immoral. It can be cultural and a value based philosophy that deters people of that particular belief from engaging in certain activities. It dictates how society should be run. This makes it the center of numerous debates among the general public. It can be difficult applying religion to certain topics because people have different views on religions. Furthermore, religious views often clash with each other. Issues that involve politics, humanities, science, education, and workplace are frequently at the core of religious debates. Given this, I am curious about how people think religious views influence our perspectives on teen pregnancy. In particular, do religious views play too strong of a role in our perspectives?
Doing religion doesnt have a profound effect on morality, but rather, a real and personal relationship with God because of what Christ did for the individual , does. Big difference between the two. When one truly gets born again, an inward change takes place in the heart of people --- its because of what Christ did and not from belonging to a religion .

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM

136 posts, read 235,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's also fair to note that people who throw weird insults at Christianity (insults like "crazy evangelicals") usually have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

I know a LOT of Christians, and the overwhelming majority of them are highly educated, very intelligent people.
Anecdotal evidence trumps any other kind of evidence. I feel comfortable enough after your statement to now say it is a fact that the overwhelming majority of Christians are highly educated and very intelligent people (ignore the subjectivity).

I would advise you from searching out studies that find correlation between religiosity and metrics such as intelligence or education.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
Anecdotal evidence trumps any other kind of evidence. I feel comfortable enough after your statement to now say it is a fact that the overwhelming majority of Christians are highly educated and very intelligent people (ignore the subjectivity).

I would advise you from searching out studies that find correlation between religiosity and metrics such as intelligence or education.
So your anecdotal evidence carries more weight, just because you're a sarcastic smart alec?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates