Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
You'd look a lot smarter if you'd read the study and pay attention to the parameters before bringing up the causation/correllation argument here. The article specifically says that even adjusting for abortion rates and income level, the states with the highest teen birth rates are the most religious ones. This means -- oooh guess what?? Less religious states didn't show a higher abortion rate! OMG imagine that. Maybe there's something to that whole "teach your kids about birth control" thing. Amazing, innit?
There isn't just something to that whole teach your kids about birth control thing. It emphatically beats the abstinence only program and throws it in the trash where it belongs. Further, it shows that it was a complete and total waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm also curious to know the number of teen pregnancies versus the number of teen births in various states. More religious states are apt to find teens not terminating their pregnancies by abortions, where more non-religious states might find a much higher rate of abortion-ended teen pregnancies.
The information in which you're interested begins on page 14.

U.S. Teenage Pregnancies, Births and Abortions: National and State Trends and Trends by Race and Ethnicity

Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Thank you!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I'm not sure if religion could really explain much this, simply for the reason that rates of belief in the US have been consistently high (90%+) for as long as people have been polled, while teen pregnancies have risen and dipped over time.

"Religion" as a factor has been much more of a background constant than a variable. I would imagine that the demographics of girls who get pregnant in their teenaged years are similar in that regard (e.g., a large supermajority of them are at least nominal Christians, and always have been).

It seems to have more to do with other social factors and conditions.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Great can you bring those polls?

I didn't think so. Is denial a good place to live?

Last edited by Pandamonium; 02-10-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'm not sure if religion could really explain much this, simply for the reason that rates of belief in the US have been consistently high (90%+) for as long as people have been polled, while teen pregnancies have risen and dipped over time.

"Religion" as a factor has been much more of a background constant than a variable. I would imagine that the demographics of girls who get pregnant in their teenaged years are similar in that regard (e.g., a large supermajority of them are at least nominal Christians, and always have been).

It seems to have more to do with other social factors and conditions.
I've always thought a part of that could be a 'rebellion' factor. I know of two girls personally who got pregnant while attending a private Christian school. Their parents were quite strict and they felt smothered, so they snuck around more often then their 'public school' counterparts.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everyone already knew that, even before you felt compelled to draw attention to your egotistic self with bold-face font. The question is about whether religion influences family values.
The only thing religion does is perpetuate a notion of "I'm better than you because I go to church" It is not the place of any religion to judge others, yet they are worse than anyone about it. You want to convene a group of hypocrites and liars? Open a church. Morals are not based in religion, they are based in common sense and human decency, churches exploit these for money.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The only thing religion does is perpetuate a notion of "I'm better than you because I go to church" It is not the place of any religion to judge others, yet they are worse than anyone about it. You want to convene a group of hypocrites and liars? Open a church. Morals are not based in religion, they are based in common sense and human decency, churches exploit these for money.
Even as a practicing Christian, I see a bit of truth in your description. Churches can be ugly places, but we keep striving to do better.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

...We now live in a society that doesn't have the morals or ethics of a band of monkeys...
And if Religion has it’s way, we will have intellectual and educational standards to match.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM

I think it bears repeating at this point that while crazy Evangelicals fall under the umbrella of Christianity, not all Christians are crazy Evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates