Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Bringing lawyers into anything is expensive. But if you don't need lawyers, then it's not so expensive. You just come to an agreement without bringing other people into it.
Not all non-marriage relationships end so easily. Lawyers get involved. Especially if there are children. And then it's an even bigger mess than if there were a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Not all non-marriage relationships end so easily. Lawyers get involved. Especially if there are children. And then it's an even bigger mess than if there were a marriage.
But it's the lawyers that make the problems. It's always an issue when you involve others in your relationships, especially the law and government. As I said, it's the lawyers that make it expensive.

I think Shakespeare had it right: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
But it's the lawyers that make the problems. It's always an issue when you involve others in your relationships, especially the law and government. As I said, it's the lawyers that make it expensive.

I think Shakespeare had it right: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
I think it's extended family who contribute most to irreconcilable problems in a relationship. The lawyers come long after the dissolution process has begun. As far as the in-laws are concerned, my spouse and I are both perfect, and I think that goes a long way toward ensuring we will have a long, happy marriage!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Of course the optimum relationship is one where the in-laws aren't involved. Either because they're all dead or because the two have chosen to break ties with their respective families.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Of course the optimum relationship is one where the in-laws aren't involved. Either because they're all dead or because the two have chosen to break ties with their respective families.
I disagree, but I think it's prudent of a couple to keep their inevitable arguments from becoming a source of family gossip. Family members are predisposed to take sides, which can magnify simple disputes. Long ago, my husband and I promised each other that when difficult times arose, we would seek help from an impartial third party who would help us focus on preserving our relationship rather than look to family for support. I've often heard from friends that we must never argue, but that's not at all true. We just don't make public fodder out of our private conflicts.

We're going on twenty years this month, and we're still very happy together.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

I think you need to re-read your Shakespeare. He was referring to the first step a tyrant should take. It is a pro-lawyer statement.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM

41 posts, read 120,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
As most people know, Al Gore and his wife of 40 years have declared that they are going through a divorce. Are marriages just not "natural" for this society anymore? Were they ever natural? Most people within the United States marry another person out of so called love, but what is love? Is lust confused with love? Is loving your partner out of convenience or out of genuine emotion? There are SO many questions that seem to come out of love and maybe that is why the divorce rate is so high, out of unsureness of their meaning of love. Maybe the people who "fall out of love" were never in love to begin with...

What do you think? What are your theories of "love" and divorce?
My perspective comes from my current experience of being in love and co-habitating- thus, marriage and the legal crap that surrounds it pisses the hell out of me. For instance, my boyfriend is unemployed and really needs benefits such as a dentist and regular health checkups. (I've been sending "quit smoking" messages his way in the meantime) I wish I could just extend my benefits to him, but no, he has to be a "spouse". I want better for him, and even if it means increasing my premium, I want him on my benefits plan.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I think you need to re-read your Shakespeare. He was referring to the first step a tyrant should take. It is a pro-lawyer statement.
A tyrant uses law to his own advantage--see the U.S. government for examples thereof.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, but the animals that take a mate for life, usually don't live for 70 years either.

Most humans married, had children, and died by their 50's and 60's, just a few decades ago. Not to mention that many times, the women died in childbirth. Widowers were quite common back then, not so today.

I have often said that marriages should last for 20 years tops, and at the end of that 20 year stint, you have the option for renewal, or to walk away with no penalty. Divorce used to be lower, because people died a lot sooner.
No...divorce used to be lower because you would be looked down on if you did divorce. It was a "sin" to get divorced even with a lot of fidelity going on. Women alot of times didn't have a say on why the husband was out so late.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:

No, it's people and their pettiness and selfishness who make the problems in this arena. If people didn't already feel that way, the lawyers would have nothing to feed off. If you try to divide up property and even worse, find some arrangements for custody/visitation with children involved, it's much more difficult without there having been a marriage. You may not have any rights at all as a father if you never married her.

Not to mention, if you're going into a marriage with that mindset, you are shooting yourself in the foot right off the bat. It becomes self-fulfilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates