Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM

8 posts, read 37,245 times

Advertisements

There is no question of the beauty of the Greenville, and Greer area, the feel of the place is great, but for a mom with 2 kids ages 5 and 10, would the Greer area be the correct choice on a day to day basis? When we visited we didn't see alot of kids in the neighborhoods that we visited, would Greenville be a better choice? I know it's only about 15 minutes away, but my kids are used to having kids and kid functions close to the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 AM

49 posts, read 254,316 times
Just curious where the folks that didn't like Greenville moved to that they did like?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 PM

83 posts, read 734,073 times
Exileinsc brought up an interesting point - racism. I have a friend who lived in Simpsonville eight years ago. She did not like it at all. One of her biggest complaints was the blatant racism she witnessed. (She is not a minority.) I thought perhaps that has been changing over the years. I keep reading that the Greenville area is culturally diverse and a very progressive community. How many people agree with Exileinsc?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
I HATE the term progressive. Utterly hate it. It's condescending and obnoxious and reeks of wannabe hipsters trying to let everyone know how "tolerant" they and their city are. Irony is most of these so called "progressive" cities are only tolerant to people and ideologies in which they agree. I just moved from LA, one of, if not the most "progressive" cities in america and the city is a bastion for group think and anyone that doesn't agree with the prevailing dogma is looked down upon and treated as an outcast. Just my .2. Happy 4th.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM

266 posts, read 300,989 times
Default I am so jealous of you people live here!

Hello, I bought a home with some land in Travelers Rest last October and have been up to it a few times in the last year. The area is 100% better than the Stuart Florida area were I live now. I would be fulltime in a heartbeat if I could just sell my house down here. I have spent a total of 7 weeks in the area and havent found a rude person yet. And better yet people can drive up there! I find food and gas to be less expensive also compared to here. Taxes, I will take the SC ones anyday. I am not sure of car insurance rates, but I know I save almost six grand a year on homeowners insurance in TR compared to here in Fl. Can't wait to be fulltime in TR!!!!

Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 PM

51 posts, read 191,230 times
I totally agree with Sonrise! From what I gather as I read the threads in this forum, Greenville and the Upstate had been rather "conservative" in the past and now with the influx of people moving in, it seems that people are wanting to change the city into an "anything goes", "everything accepted" culture. I don't equate "conservative" with racism. Racism is wrong! I equate conservative with having high morals and values with love and respect for God, others, and this great country! You are going to find those who are racist and downright rude wherever you go (and they are probably like that because they are miserable people and want others to be miserable with them)!! This area has character and integrity -- please don't change it!!

CG

Last edited by clgrimes; 07-04-2007 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
^^^^^^^^I was looking for the clapping hands emoticon^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Interesting take on the word "progressive" Sonrise. I am certainly not obnoxious and did not mean to be condenscending. And I am sure that's not what Tony123 meant when he told Exileinsc that Spartanburg is not as progressive as Greenville a few days ago. I am using the word literally. It simply means the desire to make changes for the better; to move forward in a positive way and not remain stuck in the past. I think an area can have character and integrity and still be progressive.

Maybe the fact that LA is a bastion for group think has nothing to do with it being a progressive city. Maybe it's a completely separate issue. Or maybe they are progressive in some ways and not others. I really don't know. I'm not familiar with LA so it's pointless to get into a conversation about it.

You never did say if you agree with Exile...

Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 AM

286 posts, read 1,478,095 times
I'm not as creative of a writer, but Sonrise and CG put my thoughts together better than I did for myself. <clapping hands>

Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Tony, you agree with Sonrise?

On July 1st you told Exileinsc "Anyway, it sounds as though you live towards Spartanburg, which has a much less progressive edge than Greenville."

What is it that agree with him on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area