Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Soooo many people insist it's 12-gauge or nothing. Thank you for teaching those women with a more reasonable weapon size. A 20 is what I bought for my wife for in-home. Also, at in-home self-defense distances, shooting from the hip with a shotgun is a perfectly adequate aiming strategy (assuming you have practiced doing so ahead of time). I think I'll try working with her on that method our next time at the range.
As far as my fellow women, I highly recommend the "hip shot" for the 20-gage shotgun.

Most likely, you're going to be INSIDE your home if - heaven forbid - you have to use your weapon, so it won't be any great distance. I've found the most folks tend to aim high when shooting from the hip, but with just a little practice, you can adjust that and compensate for it.

I bought the 20-gage at a gun shop three years ago (or more) and told the guy, "I'll buy this gun if you'll come up to the gun range (upstairs) and teach me how to use it."

He was a nice fellow and was thrilled to do it. (Superior Gun and Pawn in Virginia Beach)

And it was HE that taught me that women are sometimes more comfortable shooting it at hip level. My women friends (I've taught six at least) also find it infinitely more comfortable than a shoulder shot.

Honestly, I wish I could go out EVERY SINGLE DAY and shoot that thing. It is ***SO MUCH FUN***!!!

Then again, as my friends tell me, I'm not quite right. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:56 PM

893 posts, read 885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I live in a state that Concealed carry is the law. Anybody can do it, no permit is required. 3-4 years back, Wyoming passed the law allowing any citizen to carry concealed. Since then, there have been zero laws broken. People took it to heart and have been responsible. I have a ccw so that I can have reciprocacy with other states, but do not need one to carry concealed within Wyoming. I don't need big brothers permission.

Even though it was not required of me (ex military) I still played for and attended the training so that I would be familiar with the laws in the state. Any time you unholster, you had better be prepared to squeeze the trigger. If you unholster to threaten, you are brandishing the weapon and it is illegal.
I haven't researched it but I am curious. What laws are you referring to that haven't been broken since CC has been implemented as law?

This sounds good for the cause.....

Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
[quote=iowa4430;36831202]I haven't researched it but I am curious. What laws are you referring to that haven't been broken since CC has been implemented as law?

This sounds good for the cause.....[/QU
No matter where I have lived I have oberved. all laws.I really don't want to discuss anything else. Idid what was needed, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As far as my fellow women, I highly recommend the "hip shot" for the 20-gage shotgun.

Most likely, you're going to be INSIDE your home if - heaven forbid - you have to use your weapon, so it won't be any great distance. I've found the most folks tend to aim high when shooting from the hip, but with just a little practice, you can adjust that and compensate for it.

I bought the 20-gage at a gun shop three years ago (or more) and told the guy, "I'll buy this gun if you'll come up to the gun range (upstairs) and teach me how to use it."

He was a nice fellow and was thrilled to do it. (Superior Gun and Pawn in Virginia Beach)

And it was HE that taught me that women are sometimes more comfortable shooting it at hip level. My women friends (I've taught six at least) also find it infinitely more comfortable than a shoulder shot.

Honestly, I wish I could go out EVERY SINGLE DAY and shoot that thing. It is ***SO MUCH FUN***!!!

A hip shot is not defensible in the aftermath if it is proved there was time to do otherwise, regardless of the firearm you are using.

If you practice every day you can "hip shoot" quite accurately and that includes with a shotgun. However; if you practice (actually shooting, not dry) once a month on average, you have about as much chance at hitting what you shoot at as petting a cobra. Some people can do it, most can't.

Hip shooting is not "instinctive" shooting and beware of catch words like that because there is no such thing as instinctive shooting. An instinct is not something learned, that is just what is sounds like, learned behavior. Get into court and face some bad music if you "hip shoot" and then try to claim you knew what you were shooting at and had full knowledge that you could reasonably predict what you would hit.

After the shooting is over, you face the investigations and trials, just because the DA doesn't prosecute you doesn't mean you won't get sued in civil court. The result of being responsible (guilty) in civil court can ruin your life. The argument that this would be better than being dead is true but avoiding it altogether is better isn't it?

You can't defend "hip shooting" in any court. Unless the shot individual has no family or they don't care, your life as you know it will be over so the right way is to aim if at all possible. Now, since you've made it clear that you hip shoot, that option probably isn't available to you anymore. This is why one should never post on any forum what they do and instead talk about things without making it personal.

Who among us hasn't seen what people write on forums and such come back to haunt someone? It happens and if you ever shoot someone, they will find everything you ever wrote about the subject.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
I'm sorry, but in this day and age I think you are very foolish if you stick your nose into someone else's business. In other words, it's not my place to protect the couple that is getting beat up, that job is theirs. Our police officers carry a firearm to protect themselves, not you or I. I would un-holster my firearm only if I was faced with death, or if my wife was faced with death, and I wouldn't un-holster it until I was ready to use it. There would never ever be a warning shot, and I may not shout a warning, however, every incident is a bit different. None of us are as good as we think we are and the only thing that helps in a situation like this is practice. If you are used to shooting at targets and using a timer every week, you are going to be good at defending yourself at a moments notice. Drawing your weapon and firing without having to think what you are doing is known as 'muscle memory' and that comes from doing the same exercises over and over and using a timer to teach yourself speed. Some people will laugh and say the need to carry a firearm is un-neccesary. I say to them "you haven't been there, so keep your mouth shut until you know what you are talking about".

Old 10-31-2014, 06:14 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

Listen to your friends, they are right on. You aren't quite right if you think shooting a 20 gauge shotgun, or any gun, from the hip is a good idea. You have zero accuracy, meaning any thing or anyone that isn't standing behind you could be hit. When you pull the trigger on a firearm you need to know without a doubt where that shot is going to hit, you need to know your target and where on that target you are likely to hit. If you can't be fairly certain of where your shot hits, you have no business shooting a firearm.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Listen to your friends, they are right on. You aren't quite right if you think shooting a 20 gauge shotgun, or any gun, from the hip is a good idea. You have zero accuracy, meaning any thing or anyone that isn't standing behind you could be hit. When you pull the trigger on a firearm you need to know without a doubt where that shot is going to hit, you need to know your target and where on that target you are likely to hit. If you can't be fairly certain of where your shot hits, you have no business shooting a firearm.

come on, with practice even a woman can handle a 12 gauge shotgun. my 14 yo daughter who weighs 120# pounds can handle her 12 gauge 870 shotgun with high brass ammo. I have also seen young girls shoot 12 gauges in 3 gun shoots before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting