Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

I would but I seem to have lost my German translator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
A AK-74 WILL KILL a bear on a charge. That's 5.45x39mm.......NOT 7.62x39mm as found in the AKM or AK-47.
Hell a 7.62x51mm (.308 Winchester) killed a man 1,367 yards away.
A charging bear inside 300 yards will be a greasy stain on the mattress........
No one ever said you can't kill a Grizzly-sized bear with a 7.62x39. Everyone (including me) is simply telling the OP that it would be wise to choose a more powerful cartridge that would be able to kill one faster. Also, he may have difficulty locating a professional guide willing to take him into the bush with such a weapon, but there are probably lots of places you can hunt without a guide. Just make sure you fill out all the out-of-state paperwork and follow all laws.

That said, free internet forum advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. So by all means, take a 10-round semi-auto 7.62x39 weapon and go on a bear hunt.

Off topic, I find it fascinating that in this thread you insist an intermediate-power cartridge like a 7.62x39 is perfectly adequate for safely hunting the most powerful omnivores on earth, but in a different thread you insist that a 9mm is too weak and only a .45ACP is adequate for defending against two-legged critters. You have a strange fascination with Vietnam-era military-issue cartridges (and YouTube clips).

Old 02-04-2015, 11:59 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No one ever said you can't kill a Grizzly-sized bear with a 7.62x39. Everyone (including me) is simply telling the OP that it would be wise to choose a more powerful cartridge that would be able to kill one faster. Also, he may have difficulty locating a professional guide willing to take him into the bush with such a weapon, but there are probably lots of places you can hunt without a guide. Just make sure you fill out all the out-of-state paperwork and follow all laws.
As well as ensure life insurance premiums are paid up and legal documents for surviving loved ones are filed propperly.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Something else...

Why are you trying to hunt a grizzly? For most people the goal is to eat the meat and obtain/sell the head/hide. That's why one or two shots of a high-power cartridge is recommended... a humane kill from maximum damage to vital organs, but minimal damage to the parts you want to keep. Dumping a 10-rd mag (one shot from a distance, then 9 more rapid-fire as it's charging to rip your head off) into an animal will probably kill it, but also does a lot of damage to both meat and hide.

If your goal is to just kill one to take picture with the carcass then leave it to rot...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
OK, I'm going to settle this once and for all.

A 7.62x39 will kill a charging grizzly.

All you need is your AK, and six or eight friends with Their AK's. If everyone opens up at once you stand a pretty good chance.

As for selling the hide, just call it a one of a kind bear "net," and double the price.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 AM

638 posts, read 977,850 times
Did anyone ever think about pulling the trigger more than once? An Ak47 will surely kill a bear.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD Mill View Post
You'll see and read how a .22 LR is more than qualified to fulfill self defense duty on humans, yet a 7.62x39mm won't kill a bear. I'll take a 9mm or .45 ACP and a 7.62x39mm any day, thanks.

Hmmm, strange analogy...
There is a big difference between encouraging people to carry the round they feel most comfortable, confident and competent shooting in a self defense situation against another human and self defense against a bear. It's not a valid comparison because the same logic does not apply from humans to bears. If you are not comfortable, confident or competent with an adequate bear cartridge, perhaps you're better off avoiding bear country altogether.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
People shoot and stab back......bears don't. You're also talking about a round that in 123 grain FMJ form travels at 2,421 feet per second and hits with 1,607 FT/LBS energy.

"Pew" "Pew" "Pew" .22 LR won't even come close to that.
I'd feel a lot better shooting a man with a .22 than a kodiak with an ak-47. Mind you a .22 isn't my first choice, but I like my odds going against a charging human assailant with a .22 a lot more than a charging bear with a 7.62x39. If you feel otherwise it's of no consequence to me. You, me and generations to follow will be repeating this debate until the end of legalized gun ownership. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You'll see and read how a .22 LR is more than qualified to fulfill self defense duty on humans, yet a 7.62x39mm won't kill a bear. I'll take a 9mm or .45 ACP and a 7.62x39mm any day, thanks.

Hmmm, strange analogy...
I don't believe a .22LR is "more than qualified" to fulfill self defense duty on humans. I have, however, said it is better than a cell phone call to 911, and much better than a finger and upraised thumb. I have also said a .22Mag, which is significantly more powerful than .22LR, is "adequate" if it's all the shooter can handle. But I wouldn't say even .22Mag was "more than qualified".

There's a huge difference between dispatching a trapped and non-moving animal with a contact head shot, and firing center-mass into a charging human or bear.

And again, no one here ever said a 7.62x39 wouldn't kill a bear. We were saying you'd want a weapon that killed the bear faster, and one that you didn't have to shoot so many times it destroys too much of the meat and hide.

Oh, and welcome back. You didn't stay away very long this time.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That holster looks like a Diamond D "Guides Choice." Am I correct? If so, how do you like it? I am thinking about getting one for my 629 Mountain Gun.
Sorry I did not see this earlier-

Yes- I do own a Diamond D holster for my Ruger Blackhawk .44mag and it is quite comfortable and very handy. It has a lot of adjustability so you can swap it from chest carry to side carry quite readily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting