Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,329,323 times

Advertisements

From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:59 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
You've answered your own question: "...in the news..." Understand this: The people running the media and telling everyone what to think have an agenda. It is not a pro-Constitution agenda. Gun related stories are going to be misrepresented and over blown because of this agenda.

What you don't know is how many permit/gun carrying people actually do back down because those stories do not make the news. You can also look at situations that blow up into confrontations but do not involve guns and discern the legal carrying of a gun is not the issue: bad human behavior is.

I definitely encourage you to be skeptical of EVERY news story you see, read, hear, etc. Look for the agenda in it, regardless of the news source. Be critically minded and look for their angle and agenda. Don't ignore the news completely, but be a discerning consumer of it.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:02 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Like iknowftbll said, NO confrontation is no news!

Old 06-06-2015, 02:52 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
For me carrying a firearm meant being on best behaviour. When not carrying I was more inclined to stand my ground. Getting into an argument when carrying is a bad idea.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
So, you stand down when some scumbag says "give me your money?"

I carry a gun, I don't pick fights. I avoid places I might NEED a gun. I don't engage in verbal confrontations.

The only road rage incident I've encountered in years, since I left LA where everyone is in a rage... I somehow enraged a guy in his beater car with my giant pickup truck. He was yelling and gesturing, I could see the veins in his head popping out from MY truck. LOL. He wanted us to pull into a parking lot, I guess to fight him or something - two ladies. I really wanted to - just to see the expression on his face when he peed his pants when two heavily armed self defense INSTRUCTORS got out and drew down on him. LOL

But being well trained and concerned for his safety we motioned for him to turn into a lot, and then drove on after he turned, waving as we left. I then called 911 and reported it and that was it. However had HE blocked or hit us or attacked with a deadly weapon, we would have stopped that threat pdq.

THAT is why I carry a gun.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
CCWs are rarely revoked due to criminal behavior, or non justified shootings. Almost never. They only draw their gun when their life is in imminent danger, otherwise they will go to jail. They can't even brandish it in a threatening manor.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
I don't recall reading about a CCW holder committing a crime while legally carrying. All the talk about the wild west and blood on the streets, the left scare tactics, simply haven't come true.

As a CCW holder, we have the most to lose. What does some punk thug have to lose? He's probably been in jail/prison multiple times, has no family, no jobs, no future, no care. We have careers, families and futures.

As a rule, I wouldn't go to a place with a gun that I otherwise wouldn't go without a gun.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:39 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
I'm a CCW instructor and I always stress to my students to stay away from places of nuisance, and practice awareness and avoidance. I use what the press has done with Zimmerman story as an example. No one wants to go through what he has gone through.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
A man has got to know his limitations.

Not this again

Yes papaya we get it guns scare the crap out of you. Its best people like you stay away from firearms. For me it's just another tool like my leatherman that I have been using my whole adult life and a good portion of my childhood.

I've only had to draw once in the several decades since first getting my CCW. Didn't fire a shot, the scumbag that tried to carjack me had a moment of clarity staring down the barrel of my Glock and took off running. LEO caught up to him later after he was successful in another jacking.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:39 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You've answered your own question: "...in the news..." Understand this: The people running the media and telling everyone what to think have an agenda. It is not a pro-Constitution agenda. Gun related stories are going to be misrepresented and over blown because of this agenda.

What you don't know is how many permit/gun carrying people actually do back down because those stories do not make the news. You can also look at situations that blow up into confrontations but do not involve guns and discern the legal carrying of a gun is not the issue: bad human behavior is.

I definitely encourage you to be skeptical of EVERY news story you see, read, hear, etc. Look for the agenda in it, regardless of the news source. Be critically minded and look for their angle and agenda. Don't ignore the news completely, but be a discerning consumer of it.
This would be the correct answer, if you believe anything you see in the media I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
CCWs are rarely revoked due to criminal behavior, or non justified shootings. Almost never. They only draw their gun when their life is in imminent danger, otherwise they will go to jail. They can't even brandish it in a threatening manor.
Incorrect. Some states allow brandishing to ward off a perceived threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting