Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM

26 posts, read 47,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
If you like your hair then don't cut it. If anything, get long layers. I'm 40 - have long, black hair. I don't get it cut, because the coloring for so many years naturally creates a cut - breaks off here and there. I know that sounds horrible, but it's pretty health hair over all.

For me, I personally look younger with long hair. The few times I've cut it short I've regretted it and my husband has hated it. Friends who see old pictures of me say I looked much older when my hair was shorter.

Stick with what makes YOU happy - not what you think you should do. If you are really wanting to cut it though, I think the idea of doing it gradually is a good one.

I agree. So many people do what they think others will accept instead of doing what they really feel. If she was 70 and had long black hair and loved it, then it's right. I really think in the next decade things are going to change you are going to see women looking much younger that their age. I'm definitely a proponent of, "as a women ages she gets better" contrary to what the masses think. I hate when people discount a woman because of her age. This is why I think women shouldn't disclose their age to people who aren't in their inner circle.

The original post was written a long time ago and I'm curious to whether she cut her hair or not. It's interesting that she wants to look her age when most women are trying to maintain a youthful look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
There is no age where one is too old to have long hair. As already said it is matter of personal preference and the type of hair that one has.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM

71 posts, read 255,314 times
If you take good care of your hair and it looks nice, I see no reason to cut it short at any age, unless you truly want it short.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
These days, there are no hard and fast rules regarding age and the length of a woman's hair. Whose idea was it that "women of a certain age" have to get their hair lopped off and sport the bluehair Q-tip look?

As long as it's in good condition, looks healthy, and has an up-to-date style, there's no reason why women of any age cannot look good with long hair. Of course, straggly ends, dull hair, yellowed gray and "dated" hair styles (think the person who still has the same hairdo from high school), well, that can all age a person, no matter what the hair length. It's a misconception that all older women with long hair are going to look like Frank Perdue in drag. Just look around.

Nothing wrong with short hair either, but some of us do find it aging and more high-maintenance than we do long hair. To each her own.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:25 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
These days, there are no hard and fast rules regarding age and the length of a woman's hair. Whose idea was it that "women of a certain age" have to get their hair lopped off and sport the bluehair Q-tip look?

As long as it's in good condition, looks healthy, and has an up-to-date style, there's no reason why women of any age cannot look good with long hair. Of course, straggly ends, dull hair, yellowed gray and "dated" hair styles (think the person who still has the same hairdo from high school), well, that can all age a person, no matter what the hair length. It's a misconception that all older women with long hair are going to look like Frank Perdue in drag. Just look around.

Nothing wrong with short hair either, but some of us do find it aging and more high-maintenance than we do long hair. To each her own.
I agree!

My long hair takes 2-5 mins daily to style and keep up; while my bestie has naturally short hair, and it takes her HOURS if she wears it styled; and only 30 mins if she wears a wig or hair piece.

I get mine trimmed regularly, and take good care of it; I get comments daily on how people don't think I'm actually my age, so I guess it works for me!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I get mine trimmed regularly, and take good care of it; I get comments daily on how people don't think I'm actually my age, so I guess it works for me!
I have the same experience since I grew my hair out to just below my shoulders. It's also MUCH less work for me to maintain, except for frequent trimming, and professional coloring/highlighting (3-4 times a year).

Last edited by smpliving; 02-06-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
It depends on what you use on your hair too - I will only use shampoo and conditioner, and will not use gel, mouse, etc. on hair. I do not use a hair dryer either. Most short hair styles you have to use hairspray or something to style your hair, which makes it very unhealthy. So, if you want to go without product to keep your hair healty, it may be better to keep it longer than your chin.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Longer hair is tons less maintenance than shorter hair. My hair grows very fast, and even getting bangs, I have to trim them every week or two. I can at least do a bang trim myself, though. I will not commit to a cut that I have to get trimmed or shaped up every few weeks. If that leads to me being the old lady with a white shoulder-length bob, that's a-ok by me.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
It depends on what you use on your hair too - I will only use shampoo and conditioner, and will not use gel, mouse, etc. on hair. I do not use a hair dryer either. Most short hair styles you have to use hairspray or something to style your hair, which makes it very unhealthy. So, if you want to go without product to keep your hair healty, it may be better to keep it longer than your chin.
That's what I found, too, when I cut my hair "to see what it would be like". I've used more product on my hair during the time it was short than I did the entire time my hair has been long! Not only is it more damaging to your hair, but then you have the extraneous expenses of gel, mousse, hair waxes/paste (if you have a piece-y style), and more frequent trims/cuts to maintain the style. I do have a hair dryer, but I don't use it that much. Long hair is more forgiving, style-wise (at least I think so), so it's easier to skip a day or two of washing, or letting it air dry so that all that product and heat styling isn't needed.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,723 times
Longer hair can look great at any age as long as it's well maintained. I'm in my 30's and my hair is more than halfway down my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care