Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 AM

79 posts, read 370,017 times

Advertisements

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but this is just to add a little balance..

-feeling of claustrophobia (since it's so isolated and can't hop in the car to drive to say Arizona)

-GIANT red Centipedes (yeeeeech!!!) at least in Hawaii Kai

-Everytime I went to a block party in Waikiki, SOMEBODY got stabbed

-Not enough indian restaurants

-housing is too expensive

-too much meth. WAY too much.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM

86 posts, read 373,094 times
hmmm... HATE is such a strong word.... but just to play along....

I hate that people who have houses don't take more care of them. Some of them get so run down that it takes away from the beauty of the island. Out of fairness, I know people don't always have the time and money to fix what needs to be fixed. It is just frustrating to see all the run down houses that are structurally fine, but need some yard-work or a coat of paint. There is such cultural pride here (everyone is proud of who they are and where they come from) that I am surprised it doesn't carry over into their homes more.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 102,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
hmmm... HATE is such a strong word.... but just to play along....

I hate that people who have houses don't take more care of them. Some of them get so run down that it takes away from the beauty of the island. Out of fairness, I know people don't always have the time and money to fix what needs to be fixed. It is just frustrating to see all the run down houses that are structurally fine, but need some yard-work or a coat of paint. There is such cultural pride here (everyone is proud of who they are and where they come from) that I am surprised it doesn't carry over into their homes more.
I think the influx of the haole has driven property values too high, and therefore also the property taxes; proper home maintenance is expensive; the tax collector took all the money. Many locals cannot even afford the taxes anymore and are forced to leave their island; not a pretty picture either.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 PM

46 posts, read 1,100,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxed View Post
I think the influx of the haole has driven property values too high, and therefore also the property taxes; proper home maintenance is expensive; the tax collector took all the money. Many locals cannot even afford the taxes anymore and are forced to leave their island; not a pretty picture either.
I agree with the influx of PEOPLE... but it is just just the "haole" population (if you are considering Haole as white people) doing this. I don't have a problem with people coming here to be a part of the work force and positively contribute to society. What annoys me is the people who come here and buy up beach front land, build a massive house and stay in it 2 weeks out of the year. This is done by people from many countries... not just mainland haoles. Luckily the govt. is trying to help by upping the taxes on people who are second owners and lowering the taxes for people who own their primary home here. Yes I know it isn't enough... but at least they are trying to do something about the problem.

Last edited by LovinMaui; 08-19-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 PM

86 posts, read 698,176 times
The things I hate about Hawaii.

Traffic
Big meth problem
Too many modified cars and mopeds

Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 AM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,085,915 times
The local government is a joke! They steal from the people, get kickbacks and contract to their friends and hire their friends rather than people who truly can make a difference and care to. They need to get rid of the people at the top because these are the ones manipulating the system and doing little for the people. There is no accountablility. This is evident by the public school system. Even the best public schools are run down and not so great. They need to invest more in public schools to educate the children to become the future business leaders of Hawaii. Hawaii is really becoming a third world country with the disparity in income of the rich and poor. The government is slow to move, little action, unfulfilled promises and too much red tape to make a single decision. It is very dissapointing. The roads are run down, the ice heads are everywhere- really how hard is it to catch these fools on an island? There is probably drug money going to the cops or something. I can point out where they are HOTEL ST! Throw them in jail already.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 AM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,085,915 times
Oh and I hate the roads. The infrastructure is the worst I've seen...very illogical on-ramps and off-ramps. Poor signage and way too many potholes. Can't they pave the roads with concrete? I think it's better quality and would solve the pothole issue. Well maybe the politicians like to keep the war against potholes in their campaigns who knows. what a joke!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I haven't seen a giant red centipede in quite a while! That's kind of begging for it. The traffic is getting beyond belief, and on Maui I see no plan whatsoever to improve the situation. But if you're a big time developer, looking for a building permit, there doesn't seem to be a problem getting one. I wonder if there is something to that??????

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
I have a long list but I like to keep the Aloha flowing in this section...I'll just say this: JUNK CARS!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 102,129 times
Default All appears to be normal

Reading the foregoing comments I see that Hawaii is no different from the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii