Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 24,671 times

Advertisements

I tried a Simple Title, but the thing yelled at me, and said it was to common. lol My name is Chrystal, and I'm merely on here for some information. My husband and I have been discussing moving to somewhere that is warm all year around.. We live in Ohio now and it is currently 20 degrees not including the windchill. brrr. Anyways a little back story for you. The number one reason for moving somewhere warm is because I have arthritis and the cold makes me hurt. The colder it gets the worse I hurt. Secondly I whole heatedly HATE Ohio. All summer long I am fine and pain free. I am a mother of 2 children 10 and 6 and Have been Happily Married for almost 11 years. We aren't looking to move for at least 3 years. When I graduate from college. I'm currently studying psychology. My husband has a degree in Electric and hydraulics and is currently working and attending school for his HVAC license. SO by the time we decide to move we both will be fully college educated. I am not saying we are moving to Hawaii just exploring the possibilities. We will be moving somewhere warmer that is for sure. I do have 3 years to plan it.. We have a money plan set and should have at least 30,000 saved for the move. We have good credit and great references. We live in the country and am very used to more of a quiet lifestyle. We are very friendly and get along well with everyone. Now that you know a little about me, tell me a little about whether in your opinion Hawaii would be good or bad for my family. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Be sure to spend some time exploring through the Archives here, using the Search function. It's the fastest way to access a lot of information. Until you've done some basic homework you won't even know the right questions to ask.

Basic 101 starter? The Cost of Living is much higher in Hawai'i than it is in Ohio, and the pay scale is lower, so you will have to work much harder and longer just to try to keep the same standard of living. And the quality of Hawai'i public schools is near the bottom for the whole country.

But yeah, the weather is nicer in Hawai'i.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSpEct86 View Post
I tried a Simple Title, but the thing yelled at me, and said it was to common. lol My name is Chrystal, and I'm merely on here for some information. My husband and I have been discussing moving to somewhere that is warm all year around.. We live in Ohio now and it is currently 20 degrees not including the windchill. brrr. Anyways a little back story for you. The number one reason for moving somewhere warm is because I have arthritis and the cold makes me hurt. The colder it gets the worse I hurt. Secondly I whole heatedly HATE Ohio. All summer long I am fine and pain free. I am a mother of 2 children 10 and 6 and Have been Happily Married for almost 11 years. We aren't looking to move for at least 3 years. When I graduate from college. I'm currently studying psychology. My husband has a degree in Electric and hydraulics and is currently working and attending school for his HVAC license. SO by the time we decide to move we both will be fully college educated. I am not saying we are moving to Hawaii just exploring the possibilities. We will be moving somewhere warmer that is for sure. I do have 3 years to plan it.. We have a money plan set and should have at least 30,000 saved for the move. We have good credit and great references. We live in the country and am very used to more of a quiet lifestyle. We are very friendly and get along well with everyone. Now that you know a little about me, tell me a little about whether in your opinion Hawaii would be good or bad for my family. Thank You.
Have you been to Hawaii? If possible, I would recommend a visit, because Hawaii is the most isolated major city in the world. You need to see what you are thinking about getting you and your family into. I only say that because your family and friends, I'm guessing, are all in Ohio. If you move, say to Arizona (warm weather), they and you can drive and visit; not if you're in Hawaii. And it's the missing of family and friends that do folks in and they end up having to spend even more money to move back.

You have the right idea to plan it out, but you really should include a trip to the island. It's a little more difficult for a family than a single person WRT moving around.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,686 times
Hawaii would be not only great but stellar! The main city is Honolulu and is full of people,tourists,financial district,chinatown, and has cosmopolitan style with it's skyscrapers. Honolulu is on the island of Oahu. I see you are from and prefer the country, so I would suggest the island of Maui. Maui is a lot less populated and as beautiful with it's sunsets and rainbows as any other island. The air in the Hawaiian Islands is dry, warm and balmy so this will help your arthritis pain. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Secondly I whole heatedly HATE Ohio.
Funny typo!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Thank You for the replies. I have definitely been reading through the forum and also other sites as well. Why are the schools so bad there? Since I have been in college we have been surviving on just my husband's pay so hopefully, the plan is anyways that I will have my Degree and be able to get a job and help out when we decide to move. My husband makes good money for Ohio he grossed 54,000 this year so I don't know if that's good there but its nice money here. I'm hoping his degree will do him good in a warmer climate too since its for heating and Cooling lol. We have not yet been to Hawaii, this year we are spending a week in Florida to see if we like there so maybe next year we will come down to Hawaii and check it out as well. My family is not very close my uncle lives in North Carolina and My mother Is moving from Ohio to Florida as soon as my father retires which is very soon. My brother lives in Nevada. So my family is all over and not to close anyways. We do keep in contact with email and the phone. We do have friends that we will miss but they can come visit right. And I would like to think since Im AWESOME lol that I would make new friends.. Maui sounds perfect cant wait to visit and see if it really would fit for us. and You know I reread what I wrote like 4 times to make sure I had no typos but hey at least it was a funny typo. Are there a lot of Jobs for Psychologist/therapist? What about HVAC?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Your family could not live on 54K here at all.

Honestly, I would look at other states with warm climate. Warm climate and beaches are our main selling points, high taxes, bad schools, extremely expensive real estate and rentals, high cost of food, and low pay scales are the rest of the reality.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your family could not live on 54K here at all.

And if you made $54K in Ohio - you probably aren't going to make $54K in Hawaii. Often much less.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 PM

I said that is what he makes here, not what we plan on making there. The statistics I got is the median household income was around 55,000 for Hawaii I just looked. That Info is from this site. Anyways that is what he makes now with out his final Hvac certificate. He is only certified in electric and hydraulics right now. I am in college full time and plan on working when I get there also, that is why I asked the two questions in my previous post. Also the reason why we are waiting 3 year. And again that is IF we decide Hawaii is right for us.. Lots of research in my Future.. Please keep in mind we are mature adults not looking to party or do drugs just want a calm relaxed enjoyable life. We have both have hated Ohio all our lives.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
I said that is what he makes here, not what we plan on making there. The statistics I got is the median household income was around 55,000 for Hawaii I just looked. That Info is from this site.
Yes, but that's barely making it in Hawai'i. For a family of 3 in Honolulu the state says that's about minimum not to be at risk of becoming homeless.

Here's what is hard for people to grasp. You didn't say where in Ohio you are, nor where in Hawai'i you are considering, but in general you'd need to roughly double your present income in Honolulu in order to enjoy the same standard of living you have in Ohio... but that's very difficult to do because average wages in Honolulu run lower, maybe 80% of what they do in Ohio. It's a double whammy.

Then add in that Hawai'i has a State Income Tax, your husband could need to join a union, etc. There's a lot to factor in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: