Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

If you are taking either of these, how well did it work for you? How long before you saw reduction in your flashes? I just started on Brisdelle. I was on HRT for 2 years tried to go off but the flashes came back. Went back on HRT for a year and ended up with a blood clot, DVT, in my calf. So I'm off the HRT and just about dying from the flashes, many many times per day drenched in sweat. Please tell me this stuff works!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
This is just MY opinion...... I took Paxil one time not knowing what it was.... Once I realized what it was for I realized they had given me a long term drug for a short term problem and that is when I started asking questions before ever taking another drug. Once I tried to get off the Paxil, I realized you just can't stop taking it... It took me TWO YEARS to get off that mess.. My opinion, there are lot better medications for HRT than this long term drug that you will have problems getting off of. (at the time they put me on it, there was nothing on the internet explaining the side effects or withdrawls when you try to quit.. Just look it up and see what everybody else says about it and look up "brain zaps".)

Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,980 times
I agree with the above poster about the Paxil.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I always said that I didn't want to go on any HRTs because of all the nasty stuff associated with them-cancer, blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, etc. But then the hot flashes were relentless-not to mention the moodiness, the weight gain, etc. etc. I couldn't bear it. They put me on Premarin cream. I don't like it but I must confess that it worked-somewhat. I only take it when I just can't stand it anymore. But I haven't used it for a long time now. Since I only use once in a while, when I do, the hot flashes INCREASE for a few days before they get better.

Last week I just started taking wild yam. I am going to see how that helps. I was told that it takes about two weeks to kick in-so I am trying to be VERY patient. But it is hard being patient when you have at least a dozen (maybe more) hot flashes A DAY!!!! Not to mention the nasty ones in the middle of the night that wake you up-and then you are tired the next day.

IS IT EVER GOING TO STOP!!?????

Cat

Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,296 times
I'm now trying Herbal Healers "HHA WOMEN IN BALANCE" to help with hot flashes & other symptoms.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I always said that I didn't want to go on any HRTs because of all the nasty stuff associated with them-cancer, blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, etc. But then the hot flashes were relentless-not to mention the moodiness, the weight gain, etc. etc. I couldn't bear it. They put me on Premarin cream. I don't like it but I must confess that it worked-somewhat. I only take it when I just can't stand it anymore. But I haven't used it for a long time now. Since I only use once in a while, when I do, the hot flashes INCREASE for a few days before they get better.

Last week I just started taking wild yam. I am going to see how that helps. I was told that it takes about two weeks to kick in-so I am trying to be VERY patient. But it is hard being patient when you have at least a dozen (maybe more) hot flashes A DAY!!!! Not to mention the nasty ones in the middle of the night that wake you up-and then you are tired the next day.

IS IT EVER GOING TO STOP!!?????

Cat
Please fear HRT. I got a DVT after only a few months on them. Believe me it was much worse than any hot flash and I've not been the same since. Make sure you have a ceiling fan over your bed and you can make it.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:22 AM

Okay, after a month on the Brisdelle I saw zero, or at best, a very minimal change in the severity and frequency of the flashes. Not enough of an improvement to justify taking the med. Checked with the doc to try something else. Now we are trying Gabapentin. This is an anti-seizure med that has been found to help many women w/flashes and most people don't get side effects except dizziness or sleepiness the first week. So today is my first day and they are ramping up my dose this week. I will let you all know if it helps at all. The Brisdelle/Paxil experiment was a total bust. I have to find a solution because this is really impacting my life. One of my biggest triggers is being out in the heat/sun, so I'm basically housebound on any day over 85 degrees. If I try to golf, or hike, or even BBQ in the yard, I am beet red and soaked/dripping wet from head to foot. Seriously I look like I just stepped from the shower fully clothed. Wah!!

After the blood clot episode, I know I can't ever go back on HRT. Yesterday's paper reported that an a former American Idol contestant died this week from a similar clot in his lower leg. I had to be hospitalized overnight, but I was fine right away and have to take blood thinners for 3 months now.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Brisdelle? That's just Prozac. Prozac is generic and dirt cheap. Re-branding it is just a pharm company rip-off.

Antidepressant Dressed Up for Menopause

Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM

It's not Prozac, it's Paxil. The Brisdelle thing is a rip-off, just a new name and an unnecessarily difficult packaging. If it worked for me, which it doesn't, I would have switched to generic 10 mg Paxil. I am going to the 3/day gabapentin routine. You have to titrate up to 3/day and today is my first day to take the full 3/day dose. Tomorrow and the next few days will tell me if this is going to work. I can't take black cohosh for at least 2 more months because I am on blood thinners because of the blood clot. After I go off the thinners I can try that if the gabapentin doesn't work or I could add it to the gabapentin according to my doc. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's not Prozac, it's Paxil. The Brisdelle thing is a rip-off, just a new name and an unnecessarily difficult packaging. If it worked for me, which it doesn't, I would have switched to generic 10 mg Paxil. I am going to the 3/day gabapentin routine. You have to titrate up to 3/day and today is my first day to take the full 3/day dose. Tomorrow and the next few days will tell me if this is going to work. I can't take black cohosh for at least 2 more months because I am on blood thinners because of the blood clot. After I go off the thinners I can try that if the gabapentin doesn't work or I could add it to the gabapentin according to my doc. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Good luck! Hope it works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness