Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay - so you know what every doctor says to their patients. How about you type up a little list of "to-do's" and stand outside his/her office and hand that out to patients when they leave. Better yet - set up a class for everyone so you can "school" them...tutor them...you could become a life coach! Get paid actual money to harangue people into doing what is good for them (rather than spending every minute here )
Why do you read it?? This is for people who want to know what's going on with our medical and drug industries.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Why do you read it?? This is for people who want to know what's going on with our medical and drug industries.
Read what.... this thread??

This thread is certainly NOT for people "who want to know what's going on with our medical and drug industries" because no such knowledge could possibly be gleaned from your erroneous "opinions" on medical care..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
And the other people posting on here have actual knowledge. You are going off anecdotal evidence based on what others tell you. We’ve all told you that what a person actually remembers from an appointment is not always accurate. I believe bluedevilz is or was a practicing physician and has a good grasp of what actually happens in the medical field. Suzy also has experience. While I am not a physician, I do review medical records daily in my job and have read hundreds of records where medical providers discussed diet and exercise with the patients, in many cases at some depth.

I also know from my personal experience that I am within the normal weight range, but my doctors still ask me about my diet (which could be better) and exercise (which is fine since I usually exercise at least 150 minutes a week if not much more than that). My doctor tries to encourage me to eat more veggies and fewer simple carbohydrates, for example.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Is heart disease mostly genetically determined? Is it a natural result of the aging process? Was it common in ancient and prehistoric cultures?

Heart disease is more common in the US than in less developed countries. Is that because we live longer, thanks to medical interventions?

If your answer to all those is "yes," then you disagree with what I explained in this thread. And you probably think it's ok that a very large percentage of middle-aged and older Americans take statin drugs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heart...rs-say-n789686

"n the new study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, researchers tracked over 28,000 patients in two Massachusetts hospitals and found that three in 10 stopped taking statins after experiencing side effects, which were presumed to be due to the drugs.

Some 8.5 percent of those who stopped their medication had a cardiovascular event, such as a heart attack or stroke, within four years — compared to 7.6 percent of those who continued taking statins."

"“Those numbers are alarming,” said NBC lead correspondent Dr. John Torres."

Those numbers are ALARMING. Oh horrors! A difference of less than one percent in 4 years.

"Most doctors agree that high levels of unhealthy cholesterol are primarily influenced by our genes and lifestyle changes alone, while helpful, won't eliminate the risk of heart disease."

Oh good, the drug companies are safe!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Which you have not provided. All you have done is post page after page of your opinions. You have been rebutted by people who seem to have a much better knowledge of the medical and health world. I am trying to figure out what your real motivation is here.

Throughout my life with doctors most of them talked about diet, exercise, and alternative methods for healing. MY GP and my neurologist both recommended yoga, mediation and acupuncture for my neuropathy. My GP also suggested trying the Paleo style of diet thinking maybe gluten had a role in it, (this was in the very early stages of my diagnosis). My gynecologist that I have seen for over 30 years has also given me advice that was an alternative to drugs to deal with PMS.
I have been a fit adult who exercises and has always eaten a healthy diet yet **** still happens.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 AM

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/...1-a3278160ca49

"High LDL-C is inversely associated with mortality in most people over 60 years. This finding is inconsistent with the cholesterol hypothesis (ie, that cholesterol, particularly LDL-C, is inherently atherogenic). Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."

Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
And many of them will tell,diabetic patients that if they want chocolate cake they should eat chocolate cake. Just increase their insulin or other drug. Not quite responsible diet info for a diabetic.
So have you actually witnessed a doctor telling a patient such a thing?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:21 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And you know this how exactly???

You are there in every exam room for every encounter between every physician and their patient's????
G4N said that she took her friend to the doctor and was in the exam room with him every time, I believe she stated that in this tread.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:27 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default One in Ten

Quote:
Our mainstream medical system has a certain way of looking at nature, and how it's related to health. In that view, if we lived like our primitive ancestors we would be lucky to survive to age 40.

If you believe that, as most modern Americans probably do, then you might assume that our much longer lifespans are the result of modern medicine. You might assume things like heart disease and cancer are the natural result of aging, and they are common now because we live long enough to get them.

That is the story the medical industry wants you to believe. They believe it themselves, but it also happens to make them look good and to be profitable.

If you didn't have statin drugs, for example, you would be likely to drop dead of a heart attack or stroke in your 40s or 50s.

People who are into a more natural approach to health, on the other hand, don't believe that story at all.

Prehistoric people did NOT drop dead of old age in their 30s, for one thing. No one can be sure how long people lived in various prehistoric cultures, but it is certain that many of them lived to old age. Infants and young people were much more likely to die than in our society, and that brought the average way down.

Different times and places had different average lifespans. In poverty stricken areas, life was short. If we compare ourselves to that, we look great. But there are, and have been, many non-industrial societies where people generally stay healthy into old age. They don't get our "diseases of aging." And they don't get the aches and pains that are supposedly inevitable.

If you have only been exposed to the mainstream narrative, then you are probably skeptical about lifestyle advice and the idea that "natural is better." You probably feel you should take whatever drugs your MD recommends. After all, you think, people over age 50 are only alive because of medical interventions.

For example, the paleo diet is based on what pre-agricultural people probably ate. The assumption behind it is that they were much healthier than we are. Depending on which narrative you believe, you will think that paleo diet sounds like a good idea, or you will think it's nonsense.
10% of the deaths in US every year are caused by medical malpractice.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/...1-a3278160ca49

"High LDL-C is inversely associated with mortality in most people over 60 years. This finding is inconsistent with the cholesterol hypothesis (ie, that cholesterol, particularly LDL-C, is inherently atherogenic). Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness