Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:05 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I was strict vegetarian (at times vegan) for nearly 30 years, but started consuming a little meat about a year ago. I was perfectly content and healthy as a vegetarian, but once I hit 40... I don’t know what changed but I started having hormonal issues and felt like crap all. the. time. My weight didn’t change, but I started to look paunchy and scrawny. Constant aches and pains, mood swings, you name it. And I’ve never been a junk food vegetarian; I was all about beans n’ greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and eggs.

Anyway, it all started with a hot dog. It was so ****ing delicious. Then a piece of broiled trout; it felt like all of the circuits in my brain were firing. I did put on 3 or 4 pounds at first, but once I had more energy to work out, it came back off easily. I’m not in constant pain anymore, and I’m looking a lot more fit.

Do I like that I’m eating animals? No. I’d rather not. But, I’ve made peace with mindfully consuming small amounts. I remember reading about an indigenous tribe in Minnesota whose diet is largely comprised of the salmon they catch: they take the time to thank the salmon for sacrificing its life to sustain the people of the tribe. They respect it as part of the cycle of life and the interdependence of all creatures in the biome. I’ve made a point of trying to incorporate that practice, as well.

Same here. After I started again incorporating some meat back into my diet, I made it a practice to be aware that something died so that I could eat.

I'd been veg for about two years, and had already added back some fish here and there. I do some work that involves attending engineering industry dinners. I usually asked for the vegetarian or fish alternative if the dinner was meat, but one night they placed a dish of rare sliced beef in front of me and it looked so good and I didn't ask for it to be switched out. I wanted it.

The next day, I kept thinking "I feel really good today and I don't know why". Stronger physically and sharper mentally, and I realized it was the beef. I must have been missing something.

I don't eat beef often since, and when I do it's a small portion, but it does make me feel good.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:23 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
I'd jump in here, but it's my policy to never argue religion. I consider veganism a form of self-flagellation--kinda like jogging. Have you ever seen a jogger out on the road when the weather is nice? It seems you only see them when it's raining or freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
id say yes overall.....but only because of the health conscious bias...how many vegans are smokers???

how many are 100lbs overweight and eat tons of sugars?

im not a vegan fan (they protested my business and put pins & needles in meat products)
but to each their own..

vegans are only 3 % of the American population and 86% go back to eating meat...
I personally believe we are omnivores and proteins are essential...… im part of some facebook forums (carnivore diets that just eat all meat) and theirs hundreds of ladies saying they were vegan once and sickly.....
I also agree with the poster that alluded to sugars and carbs are the real food demons...not meat not healthy fats)

Old 11-28-2018, 05:22 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Vegetarians from birth who aren't doing it just because it's cool get their protein from a variety of grains, beans, and legumes and don't especially eat a lot of soy. Think chickpeas; kidney, pinto, black beans; red, brown, and green lentils, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So do vegetarians who started eating that way as adults not just because it's cool but either because of health reasons, a conscientiousness about consuming animals, or a combination thereof. I like all of those things you mentioned that I bolded.

I was vegetarian for about two years for the second reason. I still have vegetarian days, but for various reasons, I re-incorporated some meat and fish into my diet.

I know a man who went completely plant-based after heart surgery. There's also my mother who is on dialysis and is always low on protein. Her docs keep wanting her to increase her meat intake.

Each person has to make their own choices based on their personal health and/or their personal views.
You're absolutely right - I just hear about many veg's who have not researched how to eat healthily so all they do is cut out meat without ADDING anything else back. They substitute tofu patties, hotdogs, etc. and eat lots of salad - that's not the healthy way to do it.

There are entire cultures who are meat-free for their whole lives - certain Hindus as one example - they manage to be very healthy with no "weirdness" about it.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
There are entire cultures who are meat-free for their whole lives - certain Hindus as one example - they manage to be very healthy with no "weirdness" about it.
Not all Hindus are vegetarians but I learned how easy it was to be a happy vegetarian on my trips to India. Yum!

I'm not a complete vegetarian but have to watch my cholesterol and my blood sugar. Maybe twice a week I have a piece of fish or half a chicken breast; I also use canned soup with bits of chicken in it. SInce my last trip to India (last March), large pieces of meat just look alien to me. I eat lots of vegetables, quinoa, bulghur, lentils, etc, and use spices liberally. I also enjoy eggs and yogurt- I buy plain, no-GMO, no bovine growth hormones, and add honey. My weight is down (BMI =19), Hba1c is down, cholesterol is good but not great (lots of good cholesterol) and I do over an hour of cardio every day. No illness more serious than a bad cold or raging poison ivy in the last 5-10 years.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing!

Old 11-28-2018, 11:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right - I just hear about many veg's who have not researched how to eat healthily so all they do is cut out meat without ADDING anything else back. They substitute tofu patties, hotdogs, etc. and eat lots of salad - that's not the healthy way to do it.

I think it just comes down to most fast foods / pre packaged processed foods are bad for us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-28-2018, 11:38 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Let me start by saying "To each, his own." If you prefer a non-meat diet, for whatever reason, go for it.

But I must add that if your only reason is "to save the environment," then you're sadly misinformed.

Here's a good summary from Harvard https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...g-a-vegetarian of the borderline health benefits of a no-meat-diet. The differences are small and not statistically significant for most diseases, &/or many of the studies are poorly done and not sensitive enough to distinguish any meaningful benefits.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:08 PM

6,863 posts, read 4,860,189 times
The two vegetarians in our family ( they live in different households) are the only ones that get sick on a regular basis. One has become pretty unhealthy overall, and she doesn't eat junk vegetarian, she is careful about her food. Sometimes I wonder, but, I can't go so far as to say it has anything to do with lack of meat.

I don't eat meat every day and I never eat much of it because although I like the flavor it adds to things, I don't like just a chunk of meat. Well, maybe barbequed baby backs. I have been healthy all my life so far. Cross my fingers, knock on wood!

Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
All vegans aren't alike, no two vegetarians are alike.

There certainly are some who are healthier than the general public...just depends on your food choices. Others can eat boatloads of sugar or carbs and not be as healthy as the general public.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it just comes down to most fast foods / pre packaged processed foods are bad for us.
All my family ate all types of foods and lived well into 80-90's....not all bad for us/them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness