Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 02:59 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
. . . [expletive deleted!] . . .
There are essential proteins.
There are essential fatty acids (fat).
There are no “essential” carbohydrates.
. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 03:06 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Carb-Loaded, a film
. . . You can be trim and fit, but slowly dying from carbs . . .
https://youtu.be/lBb5TFxj1S0

>> Americans are victims of a public policy and propaganda campaign that resulted in a change in diet, a rise in sickness and disease, and an increased burden. <<
FAT is not the bad guy. Never was.
CARBS (refined) are the problem.
I know that refined carbs are the problem, especially for someone who doesn't exercise.

But I am talking about complex carbs (whole wheat, specifically), and I get some exercise every day, and have for my whole life.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
. . . [expletive deleted!] . . .
There are essential proteins.
There are essential fatty acids (fat).
There are no “essential” carbohydrates.
. . .
Yes, I think that is true.

The major causes of heart disease are smoking cigarettes, and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes results from refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise.

But instead of communicating this to the public, the medical industry has been saying that cholesterol is the major cause of heart disease. That is only true for a very small minority.

That misinformation resulted in statin drugs being a huge best-seller, prescribed to many millions of healthy people.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:19 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have not found anything else yet that is quick and easy and cheap. I realize people think I should not mind spending time cooking, freezing, unfreezing, etc. But not everyone feels the same about everything.

I went to the health food store today and did not find anything like what I want. Almost no whole grain pasta, and what they had was in tiny boxes for $5 each.

And no one really knows if carbs are bad for you or not. There probably is very little research on nutrition, because who would pay for it.
Yes people do know - carbs are not bad for you! Certain foods with refined carbs are as in junk food, fast food, commercial baked goods. But people all over the word eat rice, pasta, naan, noodles, etc... and they are fine.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes people do know - carbs are not bad for you! Certain foods with refined carbs are as in junk food, fast food, commercial baked goods. But people all over the word eat rice, pasta, naan, noodles, etc... and they are fine.
That is true. But maybe they could be finer with less of that. We don't really know. There are so many differences between our culture and more traditional cultures. But I guess the major thing that makes our society so sick is the processed food.

I do love whole wheat pasta, how it tastes as well as its cheapness and convenience. It's so easy to melt shredded cheese on it, and to add vegetables. Tastes really good!

You can have boxes and boxes of it and not worry about it getting stale or going bad.

I probably should not have it every day, because we shouldn't have anything every day. Very important to vary what goes in to your body. I think. But then, maybe not. In China and Japan they eat rice every single day. And it's white rice.

Oh who knows.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
I like the idea of a paleo diet, but I don't think it's practical for me.

I never liked cooking, and was always too busy. But now I'm not working so I have time, and have been experimenting with easy ways of cooking that are also healthy.

Whole wheat pasta was the answer to my prayers. But it's probably not good to have every day.

I like potatoes and sweet potatoes, but it takes almost an hour to cook them.
Have your micro heat up your potatoes. The “potato” setting is awesome perfectly cooked potatoes every time. Also try and eat the potato with skin on for extra fiber. Dreamfields makes good pasta that has 5g fiber. It’s not whole wheat but it also lacks that aftertaste that I get with whole wheat. Everyone has their favorite- for me it would be rice and beans. I like exotic rice and wild over just plain brown rice.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Have your micro heat up your potatoes. The “potato” setting is awesome perfectly cooked potatoes every time. Also try and eat the potato with skin on for extra fiber. Dreamfields makes good pasta that has 5g fiber. It’s not whole wheat but it also lacks that aftertaste that I get with whole wheat. Everyone has their favorite- for me it would be rice and beans. I like exotic rice and wild over just plain brown rice.
I love putting an Idaho potato in the microwave and then finishing in a hot oven for about 5 or 10 minutes. It really crisps up the skin. I put good quality olive oil on my potato. One of my favorite things to eat.

And rice and beans are great. together the make a complete protein. We eat beans at least 3 times a week. Either Amy's refried or whole beans. They are filling and full of fiber. We discovered black rice which my husband and I really like. Its nutty in flavor.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:25 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
But it might not taste too good with Mexican cheese and tomatoes.
Infact, it might. Add some onion and green peppers for crunchiness.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
I know that refined carbs are the problem, especially for someone who doesn't exercise.

But I am talking about complex carbs (whole wheat, specifically), and I get some exercise every day, and have for my whole life.
How "whole" is your whole wheat?
Does it have wheat bran? If not, it is not "whole" in the real sense. And if you like it's taste, there is a pretty good chance it does not have wheat bran.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
It is better to have an oz of 80% chocolate, than a baked potato or some pasta!
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Root vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, and carrots are high in starches.
Turnips and carrots are not high in starches.

Non-starchy Vegetables: American Diabetes Association®

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/MEND/...nCarbFoods.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness