U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392

Advertisements

I understand that cigarettes are extremely addictive, but I still don't understand why anyone smokes now. I quit when I was young and it was not fun, but anyone who has willpower can do it.

There is no longer any doubt that smoking is one of the worst possible things you can do to your health. It might not kill you, but it is very likely to damage your quality of life. And it bothers other people, and can damage their health.

Some smokers get outraged about all the restrictions they have now. They refuse to believe that their smoke can make the people around them sick.

I could understand why someone would smoke if they are completely ignorant about health. They would have to be extremely ignorant though. And I can understand why someone smokes if they don't value their own health or the health of people around them. But I cannot understand why any intelligent caring person would smoke.

Addiction is really not an excuse, because you can get electronic cigarettes or nicotine pills or whatever.

And I do not consider it a valid excuse when someone says they enjoy smoking. Other addictive substances are probably much more enjoyable.

The reason I quit, when I was young, was because I noticed it bothered some nonsmokers. In those days, there weren't many nonsmokers. But now we are the majority. If you smoke you are bothering lots of people. Even if you smoke outside your home or workplace, people are holding their breath as they walk past you. Don't you feel a little bad about that?

 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM
 
4,976 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Reputation: 11808
Exactly when were these days when there weren’t many non smokers?

There has never been a time in US history when the total percentage of smokers was much over 40%
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Exactly when were these days when there weren’t many non smokers?

There has never been a time in US history when the total percentage of smokers was much over 40%
Ok well it seemed like it was almost every adult. It has gone down a to about 15% now.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 PM
 
616 posts, read 265,512 times
Reputation: 1497
I smoke mainly because I get bored or working and take a break. When I get agitated, I smoke. It somewhat eases stress.

I quit last year and it felt great. But I had surgery and being off for a long time, I got back on the wagon. I'm not known for being idle and have to keep busy. So...it slowed me down and I was stressing out not being able to work. Still got paid, we have 365 sick days, plus workman comp. But me not being able to go out and get things done just tore me up.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I smoke mainly because I get bored or working and take a break. When I get agitated, I smoke. It somewhat eases stress.

I quit last year and it felt great. But I had surgery and being off for a long time, I got back on the wagon. I'm not known for being idle and have to keep busy. So...it slowed me down and I was stressing out not being able to work. Still got paid, we have 365 sick days, plus workman comp. But me not being able to go out and get things done just tore me up.
If you managed to quit, and realized what it feels like to be healthy for a change, there is absolutely no valid excuse for going back to it. At least think of the people your smoke is bothering.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Reputation: 35562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I understand that cigarettes are extremely addictive, but I still don't understand why anyone smokes now. I quit when I was young and it was not fun, but anyone who has willpower can do it.

There is no longer any doubt that smoking is one of the worst possible things you can do to your health. It might not kill you, but it is very likely to damage your quality of life. And it bothers other people, and can damage their health.

Some smokers get outraged about all the restrictions they have now. They refuse to believe that their smoke can make the people around them sick.

I could understand why someone would smoke if they are completely ignorant about health. They would have to be extremely ignorant though. And I can understand why someone smokes if they don't value their own health or the health of people around them. But I cannot understand why any intelligent caring person would smoke.

Addiction is really not an excuse, because you can get electronic cigarettes or nicotine pills or whatever.

And I do not consider it a valid excuse when someone says they enjoy smoking. Other addictive substances are probably much more enjoyable.

The reason I quit, when I was young, was because I noticed it bothered some nonsmokers. In those days, there weren't many nonsmokers. But now we are the majority. If you smoke you are bothering lots of people. Even if you smoke outside your home or workplace, people are holding their breath as they walk past you. Don't you feel a little bad about that?
Why did you START smoking? Did you start before the 1964 Surgeon General's report? Before the '50's when the first major studies started coming out? Even before that, a good number of people thought it was unhealthy.

Why do you, just because you quit before others did, now get to denigrate smokers? How hypocritical can you be? YOU had the willpower to stop so why can't everyone? Why didn't you have the willpower to not start? Oh, there was the tiniest doubt that it caused cancer? Copout is what I say.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why did you START smoking? Did you start before the 1964 Surgeon General's report? Before the '50's when the first major studies started coming out? Even before that, a good number of people thought it was unhealthy.

Why do you, just because you quit before others did, now get to denigrate smokers? How hypocritical can you be? YOU had the willpower to stop so why can't everyone? Why didn't you have the willpower to not start? Oh, there was the tiniest doubt that it caused cancer? Copout is what I say.
I was a child. I think that is a valid excuse.

Now everyone knows more about it, and now everyone knows it bothers nonsmokers.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,805 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665
Smoking helps some people process anger and fear. Not recommending it - but it helps some people cope.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Smoking helps some people process anger and fear. Not recommending it - but it helps some people cope.
There are much better ways to process anger and fear.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,962 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Reputation: 30795
Some people are juggling so many problems that they can't even entertain the stress of smoking cessation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top