Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this on a podcast I listen to... Appslappy... download the app "White Noise" and listen to the "white noise" ambient sound. Apparently it works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
I've been a tinnitus sufferer too - for many years. There are so many of us out there. I feel for the ones who have it and are only 13 or 14 years old though. Anyways, some days (and nights) it's more annoying than others.
Try being an insomniac with tinnitus, and a commuter that has to get up early Mon - Fri. Sometimes I get 4 hours of sleep, sometimes 5.
I just wish someone would take that tea kettle off the burner.

Occasionally, this is accompanied with a signal tone from my right ear. I cope with it. Of course, this is usually the time someone from work, comes over to talk to you but you can't really hear what they say until the tone goes away but try tellling that to them. I haven't heard too many people talk about that. Does anyone else get this? It's like two or three different levels of tones.

I can hear many sounds and ringtones from cellphones from a good distance unlike my spouse but I have trouble picking up the spoken words from tv shows [the darn thing is only like 4 ft away]. My spouse sometimes has to act as my intrepreter.

I find that listening to white noise or light jazz/classical played on low helps me alot but don't always get that opportunity.

I've been trying to get back to losing weight and keep my sodium intake on the low side per dr. That's not always easy. One looks at the food labels and altho something may be low in calories, the sodium level is high. Oh, by the way, I don't smoke. Never have. Most likely - never will either. Victim of 2nd hand smoke tho. I try not to frequent some of the places where these smokers may be on both sides of me (in some pubs).

Good luck to all. I would like to hear [haha] from any of you that have experienced that 'multiple ring tone' .

Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
I haven't heard of those, looked online and read up a bit on them. Do you know of anyone who has had success with the implants? They seem like they would be more for a person who suffers from deafness, I know the tinnitus makes me question what people say sometimes because the ringing gets so bad, but I'm not sure if I would be considered hearing impaired. I'll ask my doctor about them though, sounds pretty interesting, I would risk the surgery if it would work.
There's something similar but not an implant. It's more like one of those 'bluetooth' type devices but it's not cheap. Also, check w/ one of your local audiologists. There's 'test' studies being done but I think to get involved as one of my locals told me, it's at least $500.00. It's been awhile since I had heard that so maybe cost came down?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,373 times
I have had Tinnitus since early 2002. It started with the Shingles Virus in my right ear. After three unsuccessful operations I was left with Meniere's Disease. Vertigo, Clinically Deaf in Right Ear. And Tinnitus (loud pitch) in both ears. Insurance's don't want to cover hearing aids or any other implant. I also comtimplated suicide in 2003. But I had to get a Grip.

Go to this site for more information, Research and help for Tinnitus:

[url=http://www.ata.org/]Home Page | American Tinnitus Association[/url]

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Wow, everybody. I had no idea about the misery that chronic tinnitus caused. My ears ring when my blood pressure spikes, which is rare, and I do get a very irritating crunching noise if my environment is too loud (especially "bassy" noises like concerts or large airplanes). if I heard those things all the time I think I'd go crazy.

My husband complains that, when we are in very large groups of people with a lot of noise (like an amusement park), his eardrums feel like they are twitching. It puts him in a wretched mood and we usually leave early from wherever we are.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
I haven't heard of those, looked online and read up a bit on them. Do you know of anyone who has had success with the implants? They seem like they would be more for a person who suffers from deafness, I know the tinnitus makes me question what people say sometimes because the ringing gets so bad, but I'm not sure if I would be considered hearing impaired. I'll ask my doctor about them though, sounds pretty interesting, I would risk the surgery if it would work.

You are hearing impaired, just as I am. That ringing you hear causes you to be deaf to any sounds in that range. You are deaf to them because when the sound enters your ear it is added to the sound you always hear (the ringing), so you never really get to hear the separate sound.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm going to. If there's something that works (I truly doubt it) I want to know. I've had this damn ringing for almost twenty years and I'm sick of it.

By the way doctors won't operate on you to make you deaf. They tell me it won't help anyway so it's waste of time.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Tinnitus is not typically associated with any hearing loss. In fact my hearing is TOO good I hear things/sounds a typical person wouldn't pick up on.
Is this the same as mine? In a restaurant I can't hear the people at my table but I can hear entire conversations across the room.

Like that?

I tried a masking device and I had two sounds in my head instead of one. Not much if a mask...

Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Stumbled across this post and the folks at the VA (yes, I'm a vet) really can't find anything wrong with my hearing. I seem to do fine with the beep, raise my hand, thing.

For years I have 'electric' noises in my ears. No ringing at all. But I can hear electricity, or so I call it. I cannot hear conversation and have to have the Closed Captioning on my rented DVDs because even at the movie theater I miss so much trying to read lips and the camera just doesn't catch their mouths all the time. (my children get flustered because they have to repeat themselves, I avoid gatherings like the plague!, and it's just embarrassing)

I'm in my 30s and am too young for hearing trouble....says the VA.

Anyone know of a name of a type of doc to see...instead of a beep machine operator?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
I feel like one of the lucky ones since my tinnitus doesn't bother me to a point where I can't ignore it. Plus, I don't have a ringing sound; it's more like being next to a room full of cicadas and chirping birds, with whistling in the background. Kind of like my own, private serenade.

Cochlear implants were recommended for my hearing loss, but I decided against that surgery. So, I now stare at people's lips when they're speaking to me, in an attempt to "read" what I can't hear.

The one person whom I have the most trouble hearing is "Karen" on Will & Grace. Also, in a noisy, crowded room, fuggetaboudit. I just nod my head and smile.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Wow, everybody. I had no idea about the misery that chronic tinnitus caused. My ears ring when my blood pressure spikes, which is rare, and I do get a very irritating crunching noise if my environment is too loud (especially "bassy" noises like concerts or large airplanes). if I heard those things all the time I think I'd go crazy.

My husband complains that, when we are in very large groups of people with a lot of noise (like an amusement park), his eardrums feel like they are twitching. It puts him in a wretched mood and we usually leave early from wherever we are.
That is sort of a good description of something I have on occasion. Twitching is close to, but not quite, what I feel. Flutter, maybe. It's like the entire eardrum is vibrating slowly (for it) and has a separate whuuup (really poor description) sound when it does. There is also a physical feeling that goes along with it that I won't try to describe. It doesn't block out other sound though, everything else keeps coming in. Sometimes one ear (right) sometimes both.

A very, very annoying thing to have happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness