Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
You're excusing people.
Ok, thanks, but it still doesn't make sense. If a physician is presented as doing something wrong, I doubt anyone will excuse it. You've made a bunch of one-liner statements, so that's not lending to presenting wrong-doing, let alone intentional wrong-doing. To take it to the next level by charging the entire profession, that level being one of bigotry, your task will be that much harder. There's good reason you don't bring an argument to the table, tho.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The only people who have this viewpoint are those who are too dumb to get through formal education.

My guess is you wouldn't last a week in medical school.

If people become doctors only for the money, why are there private practice family doctors? Doctors who don't work for hospitals as well as ANY general practitioner can hardly stay above water today. And also claiming someone is in it to make money when you don't start making a real salary until age 35 (and with $200k+ in debt at that age too) is nothing short of ignorant.

No one spends 90 hours/week studying for 9+ years if they aren't trying to help people.

Your offensiveness betrays your incredible ignorance.
I've never understood the issue some have with doctors making money. We all work to make money. Some are able to earn their living doing something they care about. That's a good thing. I agree that the level of commitment it takes to become a physician and then having to deal with so much cr*p, it takes a special person. How can someone devote that much energy and not give a ****e? Stan4 over in the relationships forum speaks of 100hr work weeks (or similar). That's insane.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM

For any in this thread interested, you could go over to this forum and ask docs and students about their intentions. That would be an interesting thread.

Student Doctor Network Forums | An educational community for students and doctors spanning all the health professions.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times
many of the attitudes expressed within this thread are the principle reason why my advice to any young person with the intelligence, ability and dedication to read medicine would be to think very seriously about the path they wish to follow...there are much easier roads to satisfaction, happiness and wealth than the often thankless role of the physician.

fortunately for all of us, there are many out there who choose to willfully ignore such advice, or alternatively, have such a strong vocation that they knowingly choose this path, fully cogniscent of all it will entail.

good for them, and even better for us.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've never understood the issue some have with doctors making money. We all work to make money. Some are able to earn their living doing something they care about. That's a good thing. I agree that the level of commitment it takes to become a physician and then having to deal with so much cr*p, it takes a special person. How can someone devote that much energy and not give a ****e? Stan4 over in the relationships forum speaks of 100hr work weeks (or similar). That's insane.
I agree with you, I was just trying to show the flaws of sampson's argument.

So what if a doctor IS doing it for money. I am working as a computer programmer right now instead of a waiter at TGI Fridays because of money, that doesn't mean I am going to do a worse job at writing a program than serving someone a chicken sandwich....

A patient suing for malpractice can ruin a doctor's life...they are NOT going to screw around on the job.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, I was just trying to show the flaws of sampson's argument.

So what if a doctor IS doing it for money. I am working as a computer programmer right now instead of a waiter at TGI Fridays because of money, that doesn't mean I am going to do a worse job at writing a program than serving someone a chicken sandwich....
I have little doubt that some believe that those who work in professions that serve the greater good on some level should be doing so solely out of altruism. It's not fair or reasonable.

Quote:
A patient suing for malpractice can ruin a doctor's life...they are NOT going to screw around on the job.
I think the reasons people resent physicians, and western medicine in general, is stratified. Many are very reliant/dependent. I have family members, for example, that have serious conditions, and they don't really understand their own diseases. This puts them in a vulnerable position, so it's understandable that paranoia surfaces. Of course, it's a choice they make. They don't have to be uninformed.

Add capitalism to the mix and forget it. Just look at pharma and medical research in industry; the bast*rd children of western medicine. People either hate it or, at the very best, are indifferent to it. It certainly has no place in utopia.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
The only people who have this viewpoint are those who are too dumb to get through formal education.

If people become doctors only for the money, why are there private practice family doctors? Doctors who don't work for hospitals as well as ANY general practitioner can hardly stay above water today. And also claiming someone is in it to make money when you don't start making a real salary until age 35 (and with $200k+ in debt at that age too) is nothing short of ignorant.

No one spends 90 hours/week studying for 9+ years if they aren't trying to help people.

Please do not feed the trolls. TIA.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Please do not feed the trolls. TIA.
Based on what I've seen, folk in this thread have higher post counts, so I'm not sure where the trolls are.

eta: tho, I did see something in another thread...

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ok, thanks, but it still doesn't make sense. If a physician is presented as doing something wrong, I doubt anyone will excuse it. You've made a bunch of one-liner statements, so that's not lending to presenting wrong-doing, let alone intentional wrong-doing. To take it to the next level by charging the entire profession, that level being one of bigotry, your task will be that much harder. There's good reason you don't bring an argument to the table, tho.
I'm just stating from fact. Can fact be bigotry?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:

Dude, I value education greatly. I value it since I am inquisitive and as stated it's a means to an end. Nothing in this life is of inherent good though, this also applies to education.

I don't trust doctors, due to past experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness