Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 59,575 times

Advertisements

Hard work should be respected more than lower prices.....it's not.

Truer words have never been spoken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
The public expects different.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 PM

You can get a labor warranty...but you pay for it.....it's hidden in car warranties but the same rules apply.

__________________________________________________ ____________

I should have been more clear. I don't have a dealership, just a repair shop. Our labor warranty for parts we install is not an extra or part of a warranty purchased through us, but part of our regular service. I don't know too many people that would stand for paying for the labor on a transmission install twice if the first tranny only lasts 90 days.

The labor warranties I have seen for HVAC installs is supplied by the manufacturer, so again why the system markup by the installers if they don't warranty anything. If they can not get by on the labor price alone, raise the labor costs and not hide it in the systems. I do understand the quality differences. There are some parts suppliers (generally those are the parts carried by the cheaper retail chains) that we won't use because we have to change as much as 1/3 of those parts for nothing as they don't last past the warranty period. Even the "warrantied for life parts often will not last past the 2 year labor warranty period. If I didn't eat the labor on changing those defective parts it would be a different story.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM

People can buy home warranties....

You can get a warranty with new purchase....

Look I'm not against your position.....it's just a slightly different beast....and if it helps any I think it's corrupt.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM

If it helps the cause any......I'm trying as hard as I can to educate so people choose their HVAC co's with a grain of salt knowing which ones are in their best interest.
Ideas on saving energy

Nothing bad can come from informed customers IMO.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 AM

The move towards informed....as important as ASE

Air Conditioning Contractors of America

Old 08-16-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
People can buy home warranties....

You can get a warranty with new purchase....

Look I'm not against your position.....it's just a slightly different beast....and if it helps any I think it's corrupt.

Sorry to sound so negative. I have to fight the stereotype of the crooked auto mechanic every day. The auto repair did not get that reputation undeservedly! I am glad that there are some good honest people in the HVAC industry. I just had a bad expierence with a system put in by a bigger contractor in our area on our new home 7 years ago. Tired of spending bid $$$ on supposed warrantied repairs and ripping the system out.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Understand completely.

No one likes seeing money fly out the door...

That's why I push as hard as I can to change the way people look at HVAC purchases.

Sure find the lowest bidder you'll save lot's of money....up front....then all the BS that they didn't mention they throw at you by saving money up front hit's you in the face..(hidden cost, labor mainly when you thought you had a warranty)

The rolls eyes for home warranties was for a reason....they are notorious for not caring what work get's done when someone has a problem as long as it's "fixed" and it cost them the lowest amount.

The main thing I push is find a contractor that's knowledgeable, respectful, trustworthy...ect...It may be hard but then you don't get hit with hidden cost. You know the cost up front and you know your covered long term with no surprises. All mechanical equipment breaks down....that's why warranties especially labor are important. The first time you have an A/C comp. changed and see the bill for labor only the small monthly charges will seem like a far better choice.

The main problem with builders is they don't care. They get bids looking for the lowest bidder....then two guys and a truck come out to install a multiple $1000 system with a pocket knife and some caulk. Then the lucky home owner get's about 2-3 years into their new home purchase and suddenly the A/C conks out. Then you start doing research and find out nothing in the system is correct.

ASHRAE did a study along with state energy dept. that found 70% of homes evaluated were considered running outside of normal conditions...to small of return vents, inadequate air delivery, not enough air flow, over/under charged...ect...really disturbing actually.

That's why the push for things like NATE certified technicians....It's equivalent to ASE....basically it means they can pass test...that doesn't mean they won't make mistakes though. The more complicated the system get's the less contractors you'll be able to find that can truly fix the system....and they will never be cheap. $100-$150/hr is common depending on location. That labor adds up quickly.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM

23 posts, read 92,219 times
I wouldn't put much value into online reviews of products. People who are happy are just that and go about their business. People who are not are likely to complain and post reviews online to express their frustration. Very few people take the time to say "good job" or "great product." It's when there is a problem that they are more likely to voice their opinion. Because of that, I'm sure that online reviews are skewed.

I have 2 goodmans. Aside from one of them having to be repaired the day after it was installed, I've had no issues with either of them. Trane's however, IMO are junk. I had one in the past and had nothing but problems with them. My Trane was worked on a minimum of twice a year (usually more). I had a Carrier that lasted 15 years before needing the first repair. And, a Rheem that went out after 3 years.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM

65 posts, read 241,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
The two units are outside with the standard furnaces in the attic setup. I'm not having any success yet with having them exchanged for something else and if I end up having to keep them I sincerely hope I have no problem with them. My a/c servicer is of the opinion the Goodman is the worst one could have. I'd rather have them changed but if I am stuck with them I guess I will just have to hope for the best.
I believe you'll find that Goodman is just as good as most other brands. They are just less expensive than a byrd, carrier, etc. and so A/C companies that make huge profits on these brand names hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House