Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM

65 posts, read 241,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldACguy View Post
There is nothing wrong with these units. I have installed quite a few of them over the years and have not had problems with any of them, including at my own house, and have not had a single repair under warranty with any of the ones I have put in. A couple of these units have now been in for close to 15 years.

These units use Copeland Scroll compressors just like everyone else uses. The controls (contactors, capacitors, etc.) are pretty much industry standard.

Coil construction is pretty much the same as everyone else as well. Expanded copper tube with aluminum fins.

I have seen coil failures on most brands of AC equipment, both residential and commercial. This is usually a result of the copper tubes being over expanded when they are "bumped out" to lock the aluminum fins on to the tubes, so this can and does happen but in my experience it is pretty rare.

Most of the issues that I see with Goodman units, or anyone's units, are related to poor installation. Poor installation can reduce the best equipment to junk in a very short time frame. If you have a compressor failure on a relatively new unit there is a good chance that it is a result of poor installation. One of the posts here mentions adding Freon every year. This is one of the biggest misconceptions about air conditioning systems. In a correctly installed system you should never have to add Freon.

What I suspect is the bigger problem is that the Goodman units, because of their lower prices, are used by a lot of builders, and in many cases, especially with track homes, the installations are about as bare boned as you can get. As a result there are a disproportionate number of failures and the blame goes to the equipment, not the installer.

Bottom line, I would worry more about the installation than the type of equipment being installed.
I quoted your whole post because I agree with it all. It's more likely installer fault when a system fails than equipment fault. Moisture left in a system or brazing lines without flowing nitrogen, etc., lead to early failures. Since anyone can buy Goodman units, many times the installer is unqualified. People hear from others that a Goodman unit failed, but they don't hear that they installed it themselves or some handyman installed it for them.

Last edited by phantoms; 09-07-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM

134 posts, read 1,222,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post
I believe you'll find that Goodman is just as good as most other brands. They are just less expensive than a byrd, carrier, etc. and so A/C companies that make huge profits on these brand names hate them.
I did get the units exchanged along with the furnace but what a coincidence that a neighbor who got Goodmans at the same time is already having problems with them the first summer in use.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
I'm reading a lot of people complaining about Goodman. I built a house 10.5 years ago 60 miles south of Tampa. Back then code required only a seer 10. I paid a couple of hundred dollars extra for a seer 12 heat pump. A/C sub installed a 2.5 ton split unit Goodman. And a 7 day programable thermostat, even has a filter monitor. Has worked great for summer cooling and winter heating. Only problem was a capacitor went bad 3 years ago. Has never been pressure checked and still spits ice cubes and heats without need of the back up heat strips. The only thing I've noticed is that the compressor fan motor is louder than all my neighbors units.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM

65 posts, read 241,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I did get the units exchanged along with the furnace but what a coincidence that a neighbor who got Goodmans at the same time is already having problems with them the first summer in use.

I think you'll find that it's more likely related to the installer than the Goodman. Did they use a new lineset? Did they solder or braze the system in? Did they install filters in the lineset? Did they run nitrogen through the lines while connecting them? Did they pull a proper vacuum on the system to make sure they was no moisture left in it and no leaks? Did they charge it properly. Most likely it's one or more of the above on why your neighbor is having problems.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 AM

4 posts, read 33,370 times
Talking Goodman HVAC

I remember when we were in the market for a new system in 03 after our Lennox Gas Furnace finally broke its last leg. I did alot of research and looked into the various brands, Trane, American Standard, Lennox, Carrier, York, Goodman as well as those offtrail ones like Coleman, Ruud, Gibson etc. First off if your in the market for a new system know your rates. Your savings will be most dependant on this wether to choose gas or electric. If you like your air to be dryer and hotter coming from the registers gas seems to be better for this and with alot of people its a psychological. It took some getting used to once the switch was made but I am glad we did. We Chose a Trane with a variable speed air handler 19 seer unit I believe it was. If I had to do it again I would go with another brand as long as it had a varible speed blower even if it was Goodman but not the entry level stuff. Would have to get the best they have because that is where the primary complaints lie in the entry level builder grade units with the Goverment Mandated Minimum efficiency ratings.

Do your due dilligence and research and dont take what installers and service techs tell you as gospel. Everyone also gets a lemon once in awhile. I have known many people who have had nothing but praise for Goodman but like with all things your mileage will vary just get the extended warranty. Coleman is a great alternative to Trane and much cheaper. I am tired of being brand loyal when the price for that loyality does not pan out financially. Dont get me wrong the Trane system has been flawless and nothing to complain about, just trying to be fair and balanced and save some green for my peeps

Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 67,389 times
Getting quotes from 3 respectable dealers for two new heat pumps.(I think it's called a split unit for two story house) First guy today sells Tranes & Goodmans. Never heard of Goodman, so I'm out here doing my research. Read more negative, but agree that folks will leave bad reviews before good. Have to admit, we like the price of the Goodmans and the warranty is outstanding. This is a huge expense and really want to make a right decision.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,939,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
The two units are outside with the standard furnaces in the attic setup. I'm not having any success yet with having them exchanged for something else and if I end up having to keep them I sincerely hope I have no problem with them. My a/c servicer is of the opinion the Goodman is the worst one could have. I'd rather have them changed but if I am stuck with them I guess I will just have to hope for the best.
My Goodman,3 1/2 ton heat pump works very well and effieciently,no problems.Also have 10 year warranty.Some people have axe to grind.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM

134 posts, read 1,222,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My Goodman,3 1/2 ton heat pump works very well and effieciently,no problems.Also have 10 year warranty.Some people have axe to grind.
I won't find out now whether the units are quality or not as I didn't keep them. Having said that, there will always be lemons in every brand but had I kept the Goodmans and then later had major problems with them after being warned off them I would have been blaming myself. I wouldn't necessarily call it "axe to grind" since the advise given was based on someone's experience.

Hope your experience continue to be good with them.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,599 times
Default Goodman air conditioner

A Goodman air conditioner system was installed by the builder in my home 3 1/2 years ago. In that time I've spent over $1000 on repairs. The starter and evaporator coils have been replaced. I was told by the service tech that Goodman is the cheapest a/c system on the market.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,939,281 times
As you can see I posted 12/30/08 on this subject and my 3 1/2 ton unit is still working fine electric bills very reasonable.We had a week of 20-25 nites,Heat strips kicked in and now 50-55 nights and 80 plus days,thermostat on auto and still excellent. Electric bill in 1650 sg ft home $75-$130 range,this with no regard for electric useage,retired.Thermostat set at 71 heat,76 cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House