Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,057 times

Advertisements

the air is blowing cold in all vent but two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
We had a goodman AC in our 1st new constructed home and it was horrible. After the 1st year we had to replace the compressor, the coils twice, the fan. Every summer we were expected to be out of air at least once. It was so frustrating it became on of the big reasons we wanted to move. It was time for us to look for something larger as our family had grown but was at the top of the list for getting out of our house ASAP. Well we find a new builder and they had a home available for move in only problem was that it was the same horrible goodman AC unit. Like idiots we listened to the builder who assured us that our previous problem could have been the lack of the state of the art insulation that we would be getting in his new house and possible just a bad unit. Reluctantly we fell for it and move in. We've been there for 8 months now. AC ran well and just recently the compressor went out. The temp just dropped here in TX so we are luckly that we've had some cool nights to get us by but really compressor and this is a NEW unit!! Right now we are under warranty and its no cost to use but I feel like we are headed down the same road. I would not recommend Goodman!! If we ever save up the money we will definitely get this junk out of our house.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
If the compressor failed in 8 months its most likely an install issue, not a truly "defective" unit. Pretty much everything goodman builds now has a Copeland "scroll" compressor. They're quiet & reliable if they're installed right, which is why all their competitors use Copeland scrolls.

Builders are notorious for hiring the lowest-cost installer,who is often a hack. If they can cash the check before the unit fails, the cheap installer wins.

Watch the video below to see one possible reason why your compressor failed prematurely-

Brazing with Nitrogen vs. Brazing without Nitrogen - YouTube

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
My beef with Goodman isn't necessarily due to the units themselves being inferior quality, but due to the fact that the company has almost zero quality control. Unlike its competitors, Goodman will sell their units directly to anyone, even to non-licensed installers, which will more frequently lead to substandard installs. The more expensive brands like Trane, Carrier, and Lennox have very strict quality control standards for installers.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
My beef with Goodman isn't necessarily due to the units themselves being inferior quality, but due to the fact that the company has almost zero quality control. Unlike its competitors, Goodman will sell their units directly to anyone, even to non-licensed installers, which will more frequently lead to substandard installs. The more expensive brands like Trane, Carrier, and Lennox have very strict quality control standards for installers.
So you're in favor of price fixing?

For the record, I've seen plenty of hacked installs from every major brand, and I'm not in the business. Check out the "wall of shame" pictures at the Hvac-talk forum & you'll see every brand out there hacked in. There is no "quality control" from the manufacturers, just junkets to the plant that the consumer ends up paying for.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
So you're in favor of price fixing?

For the record, I've seen plenty of hacked installs from every major brand, and I'm not in the business. Check out the "wall of shame" pictures at the Hvac-talk forum & you'll see every brand out there hacked in. There is no "quality control" from the manufacturers, just junkets to the plant that the consumer ends up paying for.
That may be what you think, but I'd rather pay more for a quality install than pay less for a substandard one. The same goes with water heaters, where I favor Bradford White's quality control standards.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That may be what you think, but I'd rather pay more for a quality install than pay less for a substandard one. The same goes with water heaters, where I favor Bradford White's quality control standards.

Who wants to pay anything for a substandard install? I'm just saying that your premise of paying more for a fancy brand doesn't guarantee or even imply that it will be installed correctly.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:

Tour of the Goodman Manufacturing Plant with Goodman's Vice President - YouTube

Quote:
Homeowners using the Internet to locate information regarding residential heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC) systems may discover several sites offering a direct-to-homeowner purchase opportunity. HVAC systems and components are designed to be installed by qualified HVAC technicians. The installation of HVAC systems includes electrical, gas, and refrigerant connections, is generally regulated by a multiple sets of laws, codes and guidelines, at the federal, state and local levels. Further, the failure to properly install HVAC equipment can raise personal safety and performance concerns.

Internet Sales Policy

No warranty is offered on Goodman brand equipment purchased by consumers over the Internet, including web-based auctions.
This policy is necessary to ensure that Goodman brand equipment is installed properly, in compliance with applicable laws, rules and codes, and in a manner that addresses safety concerns and the proper performance of Goodman brand equipment.
As outlined below, the failure to comply with this policy could lead to violations of applicable law that are punishable by fines.

♦ Licensing and Permitting Requirements
It is common that an HVAC installer must be licensed by the state or municipality in which the HVAC equipment is to be installed. Some jurisdictions may, in addition, have permitting requirements. (Consult your local laws and rules to determine the requirements imposed by your jurisdiction.) Further, local building codes often require that specific types of HVAC connections be made by licensed professionals. For example, licensed plumbers may be required to make any gas or water connections necessary in the installation of an HVAC system; and licensed electricians may be required to make all electrical connections to the HVAC system.

Refrigerant Guidelines
All HVAC cooling equipment and systems require the use of a refrigerant gas that is compressed and liquefied during the cooling cycle. The two most common refrigerants in the HVAC industry are identified as R-22 and R-410A. Federal, state, and local laws and guidelines are applicable to the introduction, reclamation, and recycling of these refrigerants. Violation of such laws may result in fines to any non-licensed or non-certified HVAC installer. Consult your local laws and guidelines for full details.

Consumer Protection Laws
Websites or auction listings claiming that the Goodman Equipment being sold is covered by Goodman consumer warranties are erroneous, and therefore violate Federal and, in some cases, state, consumer protection laws.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Default.aspx?tabid=594

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-03-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Yeah, I've read the warranty -

you might want to review this though -

Magnuson

Manufacturer's aren't allowed to "void" consumer warranties without proving that the customer did something that caused a product failure. They can write whatever "exclusions" they want into a warranty document, but they will lose in court if those restrictions are deemed by a court to be "unreasonable".

Buying a unit over the web or by phone doesn't infer it will be installed improperly, nor does the point-of-purchase have any effect on a truly defective product.

So the manufacturer must prove two things:

1 that the unit was installed improperly *and*
2 that the improper installation caused that particular defect.

That's a lot harder than it sounds - in practice, it's almost impossible.

The bottom line is, that the manufacturers of this equipment don't want consumers to be able to price-shop over the web.

No manufacturer wants consumers to be able to compare prices, but they can't use a warranty as a stick.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Yep;I live pretty close to where they are built. All but one perosn I know that has bought one had small hard to find leaks. Poor workmanship at the least.They are cheap tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House