Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

I'm over one year with two zoned high efficiency Goodman heat pump/gas back up units.. Absolutely zero complaints thus far. In fact, they outperform my previous Hiel units in my old house by a long shot. A long shot.. But mine were installed by a pro HVAC guy, 30+ years in the trade. My Hiels were installed by a marginal 'jack-of-all-trades' builder.

In my current home I've cut 60% of of my heating bills as compared to the 20 year old Carrier gas furnaces that were previously in this home. I'm smiling all the way to the bank. These Goodmans will pay for themselves in less than 10 years, and that's when my warranty runs out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I have two realtive that bouihgt thewm because they were the cheapest. both have had numerous problems. Both had slight leaks from the factory and required coolant after the sirst year.Sevond year the compressor went out on one. The leaks were finally found on one and the other they sealed with the in line sealant. Basically they are cheap units acording to all air conditon people I talk to like coleman units.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My Goodman unit (sold under Kenmore name) was installed in 1996 and has only been down once because of a bad capacitor(?).
Make that twice because of two bad capacitors. Cheap fixes though.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM

41 posts, read 80,656 times
Bumping an old topic just to give a good review.

We have a just over 10 year old 2 ton 12 SEER Goodman system installed in our ~1020 sq/ft St. Petersburg home. Has never required any additional Freon and the first "repair" it has needed was made today which was a $45 compressor capacitor which was getting weak.

This system works quite well and even in the dead heat of summer can make the house much colder than we prefer. During the "winter" we may have to use the strip emergency heat maybe 5 or 6 of the coldest days (upper 30's low 40's).

The only downside which has been mentioned is the outdoor unit is quite loud compared to other units I have witnessed. This does not bother us however.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,665 times
In Texas, we have been hit with temperatures above 100 degrees. My Goodman A/C split unit could not keep the house below 82 degrees as it ran all day. I have just found out that the unit is working mechanically but it was sized incorrectly. The evaporator is a 5 ton but the condenser is a 3.5 ton SEER 10. I was told it is designed incorrectly by 1.5 tons, even though a 4 ton condenser may work. Hopefully, I will get Goodman or DR Horton to make good on their screwed up design.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 PM

199 posts, read 492,897 times
Default Did you get the Goodman? Did it work well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzwallace View Post
Getting quotes from 3 respectable dealers for two new heat pumps.(I think it's called a split unit for two story house) First guy today sells Tranes & Goodmans. Never heard of Goodman, so I'm out here doing my research. Read more negative, but agree that folks will leave bad reviews before good. Have to admit, we like the price of the Goodmans and the warranty is outstanding. This is a huge expense and really want to make a right decision.
I'm doing my research today and wondering if you chose the Goodman in the end? How did what you chose work out for you?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
My wifes anunt and her mother both bought units about five years ago from goodman, Constant problems and both had leaks in the outside units. They rrpair them but the constant wait for service is a pain in summer.Only thing i can say goos about them is their cheap.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times
I'm coming in late on this but the builder of my house put in Goodman units. I'd never heard of them before and wish I never had afterwards. Three years in the house and the upstairs heat pump coil rusted through. It was going to be a $2200 fix. Even when it was working the house was not comfortable. I replaced it with a Carrier and the difference is amazing in terms of comfort. I'm replacing the downstairs unit this fall just to get that damn Goodman junk out of the house. I know it will fail, it's just a matter of when, and I don't want that "when" to be on a 7 degree January morning.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
All instillation issues. Don't expect builders to install them correctly. Just for future reference. Indoor coil leak are due to VOC's and/or improper instillation. They all pass the same standards from ARI. Ive seen these units installed in places they should never work right and should never last and, besides them not working properly and removing the heat they should, they still haven't failed. Most of the time people looking at Goodman are looking at the cheapest install which runs right along with the cheapest contractor, you get what you pay for in terms of instillations. Goodman torture test their equipment in proper instillations and that's why they can supply 10 year warranties, one of the best in the industry. If you have problems from the getgo get the mfg rep involved. If you have new equipment installed it should not fail unless outside conditions exist.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Default Poor Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgakin View Post
When I bought my house seven years ago, I was delighted that the heating and air system was only two years old. I assumed that it would work well for at least 15 years. I have added freon every summer, have replaced the condenser and two coils, and a third coil is leaking badly. The company refuses to warrant coils after 1 year and is uninterested in doing anything to correct what is obviously a quality control problem. The dealer that installed the system has long since gone out of business: it is a shame that this is not also true of the manufacturer!I would NEVER buy a house with a Goodman system again, and am replacing this one with a Trane tomorrow at a cost of $10,000.
I'd have to say that you're likely a victim of a poor installation more than bad equipment. If an installer isn't careful, he can cause all of the problems you're describing. And guess what, the Trane unit usually is the same unit as Goodman. My guess is your installer's out of business because he had similar problems no matter what manufacturer he was installing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House