Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a house with a big garage that we parked in. I miss that. I now live in a townhome and we've got a 1-car garage that is too small to comfortably put even my boyfriend's Nissan Altima in, you can barely edge your way around the car if you do. And because the house faces North (sub-optimal situation in Colorado) if it snows or anything, the whole area of street outside of our garage is an ice field. We park in the neighborhood uncovered parking spaces or on the street, and use the garage for storage right now. We don't have much driveway to speak of either, it's more like an 8-foot ramp from garage door to street. Many of the garage doors in the neighborhood are dented in from people trying to park in their driveways and bumping them.

I like my townhouse ok. But I'm looking forward to having a better place in a few years or so. Got plans. Hoping a big garage is part of all that. It's definitely nice to not have to scrape ice or snow off the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Garage is the dumping ground for everything that won't fit in the house!

What if you live in an area with no basement? Where does all the "basement stuff" go.....answer: The garage!
The storage shed out back or Goodwill or the dump...

Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Out here on the ranch, our vehicles (except for the motorcycle, trailer, and boat) are parked outside the garage. Too many to fit in one, anyway, and it's an older open-front garage in any case. Fortunately there are trees in case of hail. As for walking out in your underwear, isn't that pretty much what living on a ranch is for, so you don't have to worry about things like that and neighbors who get theirs in a wad because someone has different priorities than they do?

As for rattlers, that's what guns are for. Here's a hint: a .45 is overkill for a rattlesnake, it will make SUCH a mess! Another: Don't EVER shoot a snake with even a .22 in a metal chicken coop. Trust me on this one, you don't want to do it. The same likely applies for shooting a snake in a garage, for different reasons.
There are Snake Shot rounds for most calibers that work well. We have BIG Rattlers where I live, and in the summer they will hide in the tall grass, so heavy leather boots are in order. First two rounds are snake shot, the rest hollow points.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Next thing you know, someone is going to be commenting on how some people do not have a bed in a bedroom.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:43 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This sounds really odd. If people never park their car in the garage, why do they have the garage door opener in the car in the first place? Do they drive home, park in the driveway/street, open the garage door from the car and walk through the garage into the house (instead of through the actual house door)? Weird.
How on earth is that odd or weird? It’s actually the norm everywhere I go.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I've owned two homes with garages and never parked in either.

Neither garage had a door into the house, so it was more convenient to park in the driveway. Plus I don't live where it snows, so that's not an issue.

We used both garages as work and storage space.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:48 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How on earth is that odd or weird? It’s actually the norm everywhere I go.

It's not weird to park your car in the garage and go on into the house. But where I live, anyway, it would be weird to park your car on the street or driveway and then open the big ol' garage door just to get into the house. People here use the front door for that.

But it's clearly regional. We also don't go to people's side or back doors because here in the land of small lots and fenced yards, you'd have to go through a gate into the backyard to get to a side/back door...and again, that's would be seen as a bit strange.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are you? Shocked, I mean.

Is a garage a non-negotiable for you when house hunting? It sure is for me.
Even when I was in an apartment, only buildings with garages were even considered.

I'd never buy or rent a house with no garage. (Not if I could help it.)
My days of cleaning snow off the car, or parking on the street (at home) are over.

As the thread title says, I just continue to marvel at the number of people who have garages but don't park in them. Either:
-- they enclose the garage for more living space, OR
-- have so much junk, uh, have so many belongings they need the garage for storage. Some garages are packed to the door. You can't even step inside.

Obviously in Florida, I suppose people don't need to worry about snow. But in parts of the country that get snow people are freezing, leaving their wipers up, heating up their car......while I go to the garage, press the opener to lift the door, and pull right out.

And just as convenient, when I leave something in the car and need to go back to get it, I don't have to get fully dressed to go outside do it.
I'm equally amazed at people that are shocked that others don't live their lives as they do.

I have owned many houses, all have had garages, and I've never parked a car in one.

-- I have never enclosed a garage for more living space
-- I don't have much junk, and anything that needs to be stored is in a shed in our yard.

There are more places than Florida that don't worry about snow. At the moment I live somewhere that does get hail, which is why I park in my driveway (not the street) under a carport.

I've always used my garage as a place to work on stained glass, home projects and a space to train my dogs.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are you? Shocked, I mean.

Is a garage a non-negotiable for you when house hunting? It sure is for me.
Even when I was in an apartment, only buildings with garages were even considered.

I'd never buy or rent a house with no garage. (Not if I could help it.)
My days of cleaning snow off the car, or parking on the street (at home) are over.

As the thread title says, I just continue to marvel at the number of people who have garages but don't park in them. Either:
-- they enclose the garage for more living space, OR
-- have so much junk, uh, have so many belongings they need the garage for storage. Some garages are packed to the door. You can't even step inside.

Obviously in Florida, I suppose people don't need to worry about snow. But in parts of the country that get snow people are freezing, leaving their wipers up, heating up their car......while I go to the garage, press the opener to lift the door, and pull right out.

And just as convenient, when I leave something in the car and need to go back to get it, I don't have to get fully dressed to go outside do it.
Takes a whole lot more than this to shock me. Where I live it’s almost a given that garages are so full a car won’t fit in the garage.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Next thing you know, someone is going to be commenting on how some people do not have a bed in a bedroom.
You may be on to something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House