Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:10 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I totally would. I find cemeteries pretty, kind of like a golf course.
Same here. They're pretty much always very well kept, and quiet as well. I used to take walks in a very old town cemetery when I was in college. The quaint headstones were interesting and I found it a very peaceful place to be. I did think the cemetery name of "Prospect Hill" was a bit ironic though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
I would....especially if it's an older cemetery with no new burials or if those are in another section further from the house. Older cemeteries usually have big trees, shrubs and interesting tombstones.

It seems that funeral services in general are not as popular and actually going to the cemetery is even less popular, maybe with more cremations? Otherwise I could see long lines of cars coming and going which to me would be more of a deterrent than "bodies".

Old 07-29-2020, 12:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
I grew up next to one. We'd often take walks as a family and look at and comment on the graves. It was quiet and well landscaped. Nice touch of greenery in the Southwest. Never really thought about it one way or the other.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Not only would I rent there, I'd buy there. Quiet neighbors, and I'm not afraid of the cemetery. We're all going to be there eventually.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:38 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
I had this SPECIFIC opportunity in college, where the apartment available was literally butt-up-against the cemetery.
And I couldn't do it, I passed. I thought it would creep out any hot chicks I was trying to lure back to my pad.

I ultimately still live in the same city, so I drive by it once or twice a year. Those same apartments have been built-up/replaced by dense luxury units, but I know the cemetery is still back there.

If it was a very well manicured, uniform military cemetery maybe you could feel some somber patriotic sacrifice;

If it was one of the large chains that advertise on TV + billboards, it's a pretty easy landmark to orientate your relatives and out of town visitors;

but these days if it was one of those older, twisted, gnarled, random cracked granite gravestone "New England" or "Haunted" looking things from the 19th Century, then I would take that house or apartment. I guar-ann-tee your Halloween parties will be NextFreakinLevel memorable.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:40 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Wouldn't bother me. There's a graveyard not too far from me now...and a few bodies buried at the edge of my field (but the locations aren't marked...one of these days I'm going to wind up digging up an old one when I go to plant a new one).

Old 07-29-2020, 12:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I had this SPECIFIC opportunity in college, where the apartment available was literally butt-up-against the cemetery.
And I couldn't do it, I passed. I thought it would creep out any hot chicks I was trying to lure back to my pad.
but you would be nailing goth chicks left and right.

i am surprised by the responses in this thread. i thought the sentiment would be strongly no.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:00 PM

415 posts, read 370,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but you would be nailing goth chicks left and right.

i am surprised by the responses in this thread. i thought the sentiment would be strongly no.
I am too! You can definitely see the gravestones from the yard but it is probably half a soccer field away from them. Still may make me think about it though at night when I am getting into bed and there is a clear path right from them to my back yard :P

Old 07-29-2020, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
if you are lucky you can look out your window and see a show

Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM

415 posts, read 370,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnj View Post
if you are lucky you can look out your window and see a show
Omg, don't! Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House