Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 04:40 PM

415 posts, read 371,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Sure, why not? I’d check to find out where the entrance to the cemetery is. There might be traffic difficulties during burials, I suppose. On the other hand it would be quiet at night. And it might be a good place to take walks in.
It appears I would back onto the back end of it, so the entrance wouldn't be on my road, but not sure how much traffic would be impacted near me subdivision. Also, does anyone know if there is a rule and you can only build so close to houses? The subdivision doesn't owe the land between so I am wondering if they will build more gravestones closer to the back of the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi all,

I just found the perfect rental home. Brand new, 3 bedrooms, and a nice yard for my dog. Everything checks out, but I noticed when going in the yard the property banks onto a field, and about half a football field away is a cemetery.

I don't know if I am overthinking it or not. I guess it depends what people believe, but would this bother you?
As my wonderfully wise mother once replied when posed similar question; "why not, what's in there isn't going to come out and get you.....".

Of course if you've seen Night of The Living Dead and believe otherwise, I've got nothing.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
It appears I would back onto the back end of it, so the entrance wouldn't be on my road, but not sure how much traffic would be impacted near me subdivision. Also, does anyone know if there is a rule and you can only build so close to houses? The subdivision doesn't owe the land between so I am wondering if they will build more gravestones closer to the back of the yard.
That should be easy to find out. Find out who owns the cemetery and ask them whether they own the vacant land or look them up on line. Call the city and ask about the zoning for that parcel.

You sound unusually anxious about this cemetery. Pick another rental house.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:25 PM

415 posts, read 371,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That should be easy to find out. Find out who owns the cemetery and ask them whether they own the vacant land or look them up on line. Call the city and ask about the zoning for that parcel.

You sound unusually anxious about this cemetery. Pick another rental house.
I don't think it is unusual. A lot of people can be put off by it.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:32 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It seems to me that dead people would be better neighbors than live ones.
My ex and I had friends who had a cemetery across the fence from their back yard. They said you couldn't ask for better neighbors. No wild parties, no trash thrown over the fence, they NEVER come over to borrow anything.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I had this SPECIFIC opportunity in college, where the apartment available was literally butt-up-against the cemetery.
And I couldn't do it, I passed. I thought it would creep out any hot chicks I was trying to lure back to my pad.
I rented an apartment in college above a funeral home. It was a absolute chick magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but you would be nailing goth chicks left and right.

i am surprised by the responses in this thread. i thought the sentiment would be strongly no.
Oddly, not only goth chicks.

Back to OP. Yes I would rent, or purchase, a house next to a cemetery. No hesitation at all.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,884 times
My parents bought a home in Vermont that was about 1/4 mile from a cemetery. It didn't bother us a bit. The old church ringing it's bells and the train tracks were a bigger distraction.

Back then we'd go jogging thru the cemetery. Nice and quiet. Well tended. Good memories.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
I wouldn’t be concerned about the dead people, I would be more concerned about the live people who come to the cemetery. In some areas, a cemetery, especially an older one with above-ground markers and crypts, is a magnet for partiers, especially on Halloween, or worse yet, cult-type weirdoes. I wouldn’t want to be around that, so check out the neighborhood, if you can, especially after dark.

For those reasons, I would rent, but not buy.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
For all those saying they wouldn't mind, does the haunting aspect not worry you?
I am one of those who believe in the paranormal and I lived in a haunted house for eight years. It wasn't horribly haunted, just annoying.

I am going to give you a serious answer because I think it's a serious question. I believe in all kinds of things and I've been studying this subject for most of my life.

1. If everything about the house meets your needs, I do not think that a house near a cemetery will necessarily always be haunted. Some may, and some may not.

2. You are renting, not buying. I know moving is disruptive and costly, but at least you don't have to sell it first if anything goes wrong. I would NOT buy a house near a cemetery NOT for para-normal reasons, but because it affects property values. Enough people do think that it's undesirable, not only because of the possibility of haunting but because to many people, it's a constant reminder of their own mortality, which makes it depressing.

3. Is the rent less expensive than comparable houses in your area? If so, that *may* indicate that the landlord has had a hard time keeping the home rented. Try to find out, from neighbors, how long the previous occupants stay in the house. If tenants are only staying for six months to a year, that is a high turnover rate and it could indicate something is wrong.

4. Are you, or any member of your family, psychic, intuitive or sensitive? Have you had previous experiences with the supernatural? If so, you are more likely to have an experience in this house - or any other. I have known different people to live in the same place. Some people will have encounters with the supernatural, where as others could live in a house built on an Indian burial ground that was the site of a mass murder and feel NOTHING. I gave an extreme example, but it is true.
Sensitives will bring out a haunting if there is one, even one that has been dormant for years. Others won't have any experiences. That doesn't mean the place isn't haunted as hell. It means non-intuitives often don't pick up on these things. So if you are psychic, maybe no.

5. Is this an active grave yard that is still being used? This isn't a paranormal consideration, it's a normal one. If it is an active cemetary, do you really want to cope with a parade of hearses, graveside services, people visiting the graves of loved ones?

6. Do you in anyway feel the houses calling to you? Why this house? What's so special about it?

7. Are children involved?

8. In my own experience, rental houses are more susceptible to hauntings than are owner occupied homes. There are many reasons for this. Sometimes no one will buy a "stigmatized property" - a home where a murder or suicide has taken place, so an investor buys it and uses it for profit.

9. Could you post a picture? I'd be happy to give you my impressions.

I'd start by researching former occupants. How long did they stay? Why did they leave? GOOGLE the address too.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:46 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That's in your head!
That's your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House