Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:57 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
My parents bought a home in Vermont that was about 1/4 mile from a cemetery. It didn't bother us a bit. The old church ringing it's bells and the train tracks were a bigger distraction.

Back then we'd go jogging thru the cemetery. Nice and quiet. Well tended. Good memories.
During college, my son and his friends rented a house in Vermont that was near a 300-year-old cemetery. All four of them had experiences there that were not pleasant.
The two girls had the most disturbing encounters. They aren't sure if the cemetery was the cause, though. They found out that in the 60s, a student from their college hung himself there.

Feng Shui practitioners believe that homes near train tracks and church bells are not good places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 09:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I’d rent it but next to an active, tended cemetery. Not an abandoned derelict cemetery.

Reason being, abandoned cemeteries are like attractive nuisances. Troublemakers destroy the property — and when they get bored, they may start on yours. Kids go out there to party. It’s overgrown, they start a fire, next thing you know, your house is on fire.

But yeah, tended active cemeteries are perfect.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi all,

I just found the perfect rental home. Brand new, 3 bedrooms, and a nice yard for my dog. Everything checks out, but I noticed when going in the yard the property banks onto a field, and about half a football field away is a cemetery.

I don't know if I am overthinking it or not. I guess it depends what people believe, but would this bother you?
Yeah. Why wouldn’t I? The dead aren’t bothering anyone. They're dead

Old 07-29-2020, 09:38 PM

169 posts, read 179,786 times
We just moved from a place we rented for over 4 years, across the street from a cemetery. It was quiet and beautiful. Lots of trees. Always flowers and decorations. My husband used to ride laps on his bike there. Great place to take a walk. No problem with traffic - during a service people file into the cemetery and park inside, not on outside streets.

I've always loved cemeteries. It's fascinating to read the inscriptions (and sometimes sad). I think they're peaceful.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post

I've always loved cemeteries. It's fascinating to read the inscriptions (and sometimes sad). I think they're peaceful.
Yup. I don't believe in ghosts, but if I did I wouldn't worry about them in cemeteries. Cemeteries are full of remains of people who were memorialized and given respectful burials.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:17 PM

130,046 posts, read 12,078,224 times
If the house was suitable in every other way, why not?

If they're coming to get you, distance is of no matter

Old 07-30-2020, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
try to negociate a better price because of that , but i don't think the cemetery is a bad place even if there are no sectarians =)

Old 07-30-2020, 12:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah. Why wouldn’t I? The dead aren’t bothering anyone. They're dead
Until they are not dead.

I played Zombieland video game recently, kind of fun and relaxing.

Personally I don't like the feel of a cemetery. It always makes me feel sad thinking about the families who have lost loved ones and may be in pain from the loss, and of course reminds us of our mortality.

For those reasons I would never rent or buy near a cemetery, unless it was a much older cemetery like in England or Europe where there it's pretty common.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:02 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi all,

I just found the perfect rental home. Brand new, 3 bedrooms, and a nice yard for my dog. Everything checks out, but I noticed when going in the yard the property banks onto a field, and about half a football field away is a cemetery.

I don't know if I am overthinking it or not. I guess it depends what people believe, but would this bother you?
is the water from the well or the town?

The embalming fluids leakage into the ground waters over many years could be a problem...

Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I rented an apartment in college above a funeral home. It was a absolute chick magnet.

Oddly, not only goth chicks.

Back to OP. Yes I would rent, or purchase, a house next to a cemetery. No hesitation at all.
i just remembered "funeral crashing." if you had a nice apartment or home right by an active cemetary, you could clean up banging grieving widows, daughters and nieces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House