Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

When DD and son in law bought their house, very old and in a very rural area, I went exploring and found an old cemetery in the woods. After some research, we found that the couple who owned the farm, and lived in the house from 1840 to1880, are buried there, as well as neighbors whose names we identified from old maps.

I'm sitting here typing this in a downstairs room of their old house that was once a parlor...probably in the exact spot one of their coffins stood,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I would most certainly rent beside a cemetery. Would I buy beside one is another question for resale value.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
For all those saying they wouldn't mind, does the haunting aspect not worry you?
No such thing as ghosts. Or god. All stories.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:19 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
The cemetery wouldn't be an issue to me but it still depends on the neighborhood itself. I have visited place where grandparents are buried and it is now surrounded by ghetto. Beautiful cemetery, one of largest in the State and would be a delight to walk, bicycle but it is surrounded by dangerous high crime neighborhood. I only have visited late morning or early afternoon when the criminal element are usually asleep.

The cemetery my parents are buried in is suburban and backs up to an undeveloped area and park system. Living next to it would be great nice neighborhood a bit heavy on traffic as it is a main arterial road but the houses all have large deep lots, so in that case, yes.

Only kind of cemetery I might get creeped out about, are those old ones with lots of above ground crypts everywhere and not much green space. I've come across these while in Europe and they give a different vibe due to the sheer amount of structures / tombs. Not as pastoral - more urban Gothic feel.

But, if I had a large enough yard for the residence I probably wouldn't care too much unless the sight was a magnet for tourists. I think of those in New Orleans that get lots of visitors and that would be a turnoff - having cemetery tourists around for a significant time of year. Although, as a prior poster mentioned, if there was a potential revenue aspect to serving these visitors I might be able to make it work.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:28 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi all,

I just found the perfect rental home. Brand new, 3 bedrooms, and a nice yard for my dog. Everything checks out, but I noticed when going in the yard the property banks onto a field, and about half a football field away is a cemetery.

I don't know if I am overthinking it or not. I guess it depends what people believe, but would this bother you?
I own a house about a half a football field away from a cemetery. They are very quiet neighbors...

Old 07-29-2020, 02:38 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Wouldn't bother me, better than a noisy grade school.

Actually, a previous owner of our house was cremated, and the plastic box of his ashes is still out in the yard. He's quiet, minds his own business, doesn't raid the fridge. Good roommate.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
my last house was in a community and the builder bought the land with the understanding that it cant touch a small cemetery within it. it actually wasnt so far from my house but not visible and not really noticable even if you walked past it (there were paths nearby but the cemetery area had a bunch of vegetation making it hard to notice unless you were looking for it). in 2011, i guess the HOA decided to destroy the headstones to replace them with flat markers on the ground. well, after destroying the headstones a person who lived in the community with an interest in politics made a commotion to the outside world about it. it became a whole big issue with family members related to the deceased traveling from out of state and talking about a big lawsuit. the community had to make new headstones that look like they are twice as big as they originally were.

i dont think it impacted my resale value. i do think it may have been noticed by potential buyers and it was a concern.

found an article about it:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel...-at-beau-ridge

Old 07-29-2020, 02:58 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Sure, why not? I'm not afraid of the figments of other people's imaginations.

In fact, we own a house right next to a graveyard. Nice views and a very nice place to take my wife's dog for a walk.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Oh hell yes I would!!

Old 07-29-2020, 04:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Sure, why not? I’d check to find out where the entrance to the cemetery is. There might be traffic difficulties during burials, I suppose. On the other hand it would be quiet at night. And it might be a good place to take walks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House