Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

From the looks of it, it seems like Houston isn't a slouch in urban development. Yall have news about proposed "urban" apartments every other day.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
From the looks of it, it seems like Houston isn't a slouch in urban development. Yall have news about proposed "urban" apartments every other day.
yeah, Houston is getting a ton.

Did you see the midtown maps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Visited midtown the other day and I think it would give state Thomas a run for its money

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

midtown sure has grown in the last decade
if the streets were closer together it would look like this in a couple of decades:

Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM

I doubt it! LOL! It would be nice if yall had some MORE of those nice mixed developments that Dallas has and some similar to Atlantic Station in Atlanta. Then yall would REALLY be in the game.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM

what game?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, Houston is getting a ton.

Did you see the midtown maps:

if the streets were closer together it would look like this in a couple of decades:
Yes please. Thats where Houston is headed btw. Whether people like it or not.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes please. Thats where Houston is headed btw. Whether people like it or not.
It is a bit frightening though. All; the concrete I mean. The concrete effect would make summers worse. Thankfully the city is too large to be entirely like that and our streets are wider so air can circulate better.

But Yeah, west of main especially the northern part is filling out nicely. The Southern part is coming along too. The Callais is looking to expand over that empty parking lot on Smith and Elgin.

Houston is more green too, so I know too that we would have more green space.

Anyway seems like 5 bucks a gallon at the pump is a double edge sword for Houston. It is an economy boost and helps with in fill in the core

Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Houston seems to be filling up because I'm always posting about a new complex being built.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I hate to say it, but although Houston definitely feels and probably is more urban all around the 610 loop, Dallas looks more urban. The developments are more walkable, transit oriented development, and etc. What's with Houston? Why does it seem like we struggle in this field more.

Dallas's arts district is a good example, the new deck park, and all the developments around. Houston's only real urban development close to downtown is Post midtown square (apartments over shops). And that's been there since 1995. Why haven't we been able to get anything there since then?

Dallas has built Victory,added much more in uptown, and everything inside of 10 years. Don't get me wrong, i can't forget about Houston's downtown eastside transformation, but Dallas has just done much more in the urban development, it's starting to feel like an urban oasis in texas driving through.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
I woud say what the Op says. Even Hopustons medical distreict almost equals most of Dallas's urban district. The of course theire is what is arougd the medical district like museums ;concert centers 'college and its realte areas.Its like a anther huge urban city unto itself really.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas - YouTube[/quote]

Well, here it is folks. Just watching this video posted by Dallaz kind of made me hate Dallas even more.

Just look at this short drive. The amazing view of coming into downtown from the bridge and going into the tunnel underneath the deck park. I know Houston has the medical center developments and such which compete, but you have to get off on Main Street or Fannin to be able to experience even somewhat as close. It's just seems to me that Dallas's urban core is moving toward being the more lively.

Maybe i'm ignorant and just too busy looking at what another city has and envying it which is pointless. But Dallas is looking to be the more interesting right now off the freeway.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Well, here it is folks. Just watching this video kind of made me hate Dallas even more

Just look at this short drive. The amazing view of coming into downtown from the bridge and going into the tunnel underneath the deck park. I know Houston has the medical center developments and such which compete, but you have to get off on Main Street or Fannin to be able to experience even somewhat as close. It's just seems to me that Dallas's urban core is moving toward being the more lively.

Maybe i'm ignorant and just too busy looking at what another city has and envying it which is pointless. But Dallas is looking to be the more interesting right now off the freeway.

lol, get off the darn freeway. Off the freeway is where all the good things are.

All the Freeways in the loop above ground should be done away with anyway. either sink them or get rid of them.

anyway, I watched the vid and was not impressed at all. you need to get out more love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston